FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Cannon Downrigger Users - Need Help Please  (Read 1776 times)

ericbres

Cannon Downrigger Users - Need Help Please
« on: Jun 16, 2017, 09:11 AM »
So ... as I mentioned in a previous thread, thanks to a donation of a pair of Cannon downriggers from my FIL - I've gotten into trolling this year (and so far, we've had a blast).
But, he called the other day mentioning he needs his rod-holders back off the downriggers. I figured no problem, with everything else he gave me - the LEAST I can do is buy some replacements. Problem is, I can't find them anywhere.

Where are you guys getting your dual-rod holders for your Cannon riggers?

I'm seeing plenty of holders that attach to the shaft ... but nothing to replace what I've currently got (see pic below).
Thanks in advance!

zwiggles

Re: Cannon Downrigger Users - Need Help Please
« Reply #1 on: Jun 16, 2017, 10:49 AM »
Those look like a custom set up to me. Do you ask the FiL where he may have gotten the holders?

ericbres

« Reply #2 on: Jun 16, 2017, 10:56 AM »
Yup, they are custom. One of those "I know a guy who knew a metal fabricator" kind of things. So I won't be able to track down a duplicate set from the same source.
But when talking with him, his response has been "the mount is standard for the rear rod holders - you should be able to get them anywhere". Well - not Amazon, Cannon or BassPro

If I look at other Cannon downriggers, it's not uncommon to see the rodholders mounted in the back. So how is anyone else doing it? Or, do they come with the riggers and it simply isn't a "replacement part"?

taxid

« Reply #3 on: Jun 16, 2017, 03:50 PM »
Seems to me you should be able to make them out of PVC. Either 1.5 inch or 2 inch. The rest you should be able to make in your garage - wood or metal and large bolts.  
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

TT

« Reply #4 on: Jun 16, 2017, 04:35 PM »
Check with fish307. They have parts for cannon down riggers including the dual rod holders.

zwiggles

« Reply #5 on: Jun 16, 2017, 05:46 PM »
https://www.fish307.com/cannon-lake-troll-downrigger-parts/

I think you want the parts in the lower left diagram. I used them last year for parts, and their diagrams are very helpful. Good call TT

ericbres

« Reply #6 on: Jun 16, 2017, 08:41 PM »
Thanks guys ... looks like this will get me on the right track.

ericbres

« Reply #7 on: Jul 16, 2017, 09:17 AM »
Update and a tip to others looking for parts:
A full month later and I'm still not trolling  :-\  ... emailed the folks at Fish307 with the same info I posted here - got a response back "XXX part number is exactly what you need". So, I ordered it. 4 weeks later it arrived - and it's only 3/4 of what I needed.

So, after looking at the diagram again, I found the couple missing parts I need. Another order in - we'll see how long this one takes.

The moral of the story? Don't trust customer service only - double, and triple, check the schematics to me sure every last clamp, nut or bolt of what you need is included.

Between time spent, shipping charges for multiple orders, parts costs, etc - I'm wondering if I wouldn't have been better off just buying a new set of downriggers (or at least something "complete" off craigslist). Just hope the fish are still biting in August  ;)

Drifter_016

« Reply #8 on: Jul 21, 2017, 11:58 AM »
I don't even use the built in rod holders on my riggers any more.
I have a set of Scotty Orca's mounted in a more suitable location where it's easier to get to when in use.
The rod is much easier to get out of the Orca's when under pressure from a big fish too.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.