FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Multi Species Trip  (Read 1082 times)

Baitbucket

Multi Species Trip
« on: Jun 17, 2017, 04:54 PM »
Hit the salt with Allan and his dad on Friday. The original plan was to hit Buzzards Bay for Black Sea Bass and fluke. But the high winds forced us try more protected waters.

The target for this trip was flounder. We had a steady pick of fish throughout the day with many different species caught. In between lulls of flounder, the micro stripers kept us busy.

The most interesting catch of the day had to be the lone Black Sea Bass I got. We were all surprised to see that come up, for where we were. At the end of the day we had caught flounder, striper, bunker, black sea bass, sea robin, and a skate. We each kept 5 flounder to take home and fillet up.

We did have the harbor master come ripping by us at one point. When we saw him again he was towing what looked like a half sunk 10-14ft aluminum boat with a little outboard on it and two very wet looking people on board. It was not a good choice to be out in the open water with the wind that we had in  a craft that small

Overall it was a great trip, and we made the best of what we were given for weather.

The Jigger

• Member of the G.O.D.S.
Re: Multi Species Trip
« Reply #1 on: Jun 18, 2017, 12:09 AM »
Great day and good choice guys. :thumbup_smilie:
I went out with Rally Thursday and we did the same with seven species. . We ended up catching Haddock, cod, Pollock, macks, sea robin ,silver hake and and  surprisingly a sub legal halibut"(24") .
We ended up with 10 legal haddock and kept two quality cod . One 20 and the other 25lbs.
We caught over 100 fish with about 25 to 30 of them being cod from 8 to 25 lbs. So much on a scarcity of codfish.
Very choppy ride on the way home. Two to four foot swells broad side all the way back.

lowaccord66

« Reply #2 on: Jun 18, 2017, 12:47 AM »
Nice meat!

stripernut

« Reply #3 on: Jun 18, 2017, 06:01 AM »
A real good time!

I was surprised to see the Black sea bass so far north so early. I have caught them in the Merrimack (years ago) and had to explain what they were to Kay at Surfland when fishing for fluke, but not so early in the season...

Jschumacher

• Fish often. It's a way of life. Life Member NAFC.
« Reply #4 on: Jun 18, 2017, 08:10 PM »
Good eats there guys. Nice. looks like you set the flatties in white paint  :P
I fish every chance I get and enjoy every time I fish. They call it fishing not catchin

Member of The GODS

Baitbucket

« Reply #5 on: Jun 19, 2017, 05:20 AM »
Good eats there guys. Nice. looks like you set the flatties in white paint  :P

Im not sure what that discoloration is from. We do bleed each fish, so im thinking that may have something to do with it, in conjunction with the ice.

deerhunter

« Reply #6 on: Jun 19, 2017, 08:55 AM »
nice box of flatfish

The Jigger

• Member of the G.O.D.S.
« Reply #7 on: Jun 19, 2017, 08:53 PM »
Im not sure what that discoloration is from. We do bleed each fish, so im thinking that may have something to do with it, in conjunction with the ice.

The dark color is when they are on the muddy bottom. It acts as camo from predators.
 If you keep them alive and put them in a live well they will completely lighten up from that dark color.
 When you layer them the spot that is covered will lighten up. You notice the one on top is completely dark.  

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.