FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: First Lakers  (Read 3560 times)

Jack1972

Re: First Lakers
« Reply #15 on: Jul 12, 2017, 11:12 AM »
Thanks for the tips.  I may try that tonight if I get out.  How much line would you run behind your flasher & your spoon?

Seahunt

• Coffin Dodger @ IS
« Reply #16 on: Jul 12, 2017, 12:23 PM »
Thanks for the tips.  I may try that tonight if I get out.  How much line would you run behind your flasher & your spoon?
Leader length behind blades is variable depending on what the fish want that day.
12-18" is pretty common but sometimes they want it longer.
Be advised that flashers/bells do add weight. Therefore your Leadcore will run deeper than without.
Also, if your targeting lakers you want to slow down. Slowing down also will cause the same length of leadcore to run deeper.
Another tip is to run a high quality barrel or snap barrel swivel ahead of the flashers.

Jack1972

« Reply #17 on: Jul 12, 2017, 02:04 PM »
I was off the snap swivel kick for awhile until tangling the snot out of several lines, even with the barrel swivel further up.  I was always worried the snap swivel at the lure would give it away.  I went back to using them & caught those three lakers this year, go figure.  I'll keep them on, less tangle & big time saver.

Thanks seahunt, I'm usually in the 2 mph zone per the Navionics on my phone.

Seahunt

• Coffin Dodger @ IS
« Reply #18 on: Jul 12, 2017, 07:19 PM »
I was off the snap swivel kick for awhile until tangling the snot out of several lines, even with the barrel swivel further up.  I was always worried the snap swivel at the lure would give it away.  I went back to using them & caught those three lakers this year, go figure.  I'll keep them on, less tangle & big time saver.

Thanks seahunt, I'm usually in the 2 mph zone per the Navionics on my phone.
You're  welcome.
The key to swivels is "quality" and in fact power swivels from Spro are great.
There are a lot of poor swivels out there and a few good ones sized for fresh water.
A good set up for trolling our lakes is a size 10 Spro power swivel at the end of your mono and a rods length of leader. The # 10's are a very small dia swivel with 35# breaking strength. For stealth, you can either tie on the lure or what I prefer when pulling hardware is a # 2 duolock.
Re: speed (SOG) for lakers, I'd aim for between 1 and 1.4 SOG per your navionics wind permitting.
Good luck,   

lowaccord66

« Reply #19 on: Jul 12, 2017, 07:30 PM »
I like the spro's too.  Be sure to check that they spin freely before you start a trip.  Learned the hard way a few times when they froze up.  Which to me is to be expected with a swivel that small. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.