FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: St Joe south bend area  (Read 2012 times)

Fish09

St Joe south bend area
« on: Jun 22, 2017, 08:26 AM »
Heading to the st Joe Saturday morning to chase some walleye smallies and skamania. Any one have any reports or any pointers. Never been to the joe before. Also where would be the best place to put the boat in???

Ducker

Re: St Joe south bend area
« Reply #1 on: Jun 22, 2017, 08:53 AM »
What type of boat do you have and what type of water are you looking to fish?  There are shallow fast stretches and slower more reservoir like waters.  Also above twin branch dam there are no skamania which is still early for those. You may find a straggler but no numbers in system yet. 

Fish09

« Reply #2 on: Jun 22, 2017, 08:59 AM »
It's my cousins boat. I believe it's a 17' deep V. We aren't picky on where we fish. Just want to find some walleye and smallies mainly.

Daybreak

« Reply #3 on: Jun 22, 2017, 09:25 AM »
My choice would be above the Twin Branch Dam.  Lots of walleyes and bass.  I have not fished below the dam, except for salmon/steelhead, so I can't be much help with you there.  Having said that, there are guys who do very well on smallmouth below the dam.  It is much faster water usually.  Launch at the golf course/park ramp for below the dam fishing.  Launch at Pritchard Park just above the dam off Jefferson if fishing above the dam. 
LUND - The Ultimate Fishing Experience!

Fish09

« Reply #4 on: Jun 22, 2017, 09:36 AM »
Thank you for the pointers guys!!! What different tactics are usually good for walleye above the dam.. also is there a lot of eyes below the dam? I heard slack areas near current hold eyes really well below dams

Ducker

« Reply #5 on: Jun 22, 2017, 10:03 AM »
Jigs and minnows work above the dam in area known as Maggie's landing.  Below the dam is faster water and crankbaits angling with 3-4" twister tails work well.

Fish09

« Reply #6 on: Jun 22, 2017, 10:07 AM »
Thanks guys appreciate it. Only second time fishing a river from a boat so pretty new. Do they like to hang out by the bridge pillars and slack water areas?

bigr

« Reply #7 on: Jun 22, 2017, 11:12 AM »
I'm lurking. I have a daughter that lives in south bend. I have not fished up that way either so keep the good info coming. Thanks

steelman

« Reply #8 on: Jun 22, 2017, 01:03 PM »
If you fish below the dam be careful. I was fishing from the yak and saw splashes in the water downstream. Come to find out, a very small sign said, "watch for golf balls"  Good luck. Boomer

taxid

« Reply #9 on: Jun 22, 2017, 05:09 PM »
If you fish below the dam be careful. I was fishing from the yak and saw splashes in the water downstream. Come to find out, a very small sign said, "watch for golf balls"  Good luck. Boomer

Those things can knock you out cold. Bill Murray the comedian and actor knocked a woman out cold as a cucumber once on a golf course. Can't recall if she was on the course or nearby. Anyway he was a real trooper about it and came to her rescue and said if there was anything he could do...
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

boondox

« Reply #10 on: Jun 22, 2017, 08:47 PM »
Hope you get in to some nice sized walleyes I have been fishing the st clair river for them and they are starting to move deep for cool water.. that d**n sounds like we're I would look for them.. are you useing a river anchor?? Like chain anchor or pyramid anchor?  If you plan to get the hot and tots out on down rigger rods in rod holders.. like 20 to 30 foot behind boat and cast the other parts of the hole like leach and slip bobber or etc.. stck baits etc.. we have taken a lot of steel with hot n tots that way... that anchoring was done by pointing the vee of the boat up curent and anchot of it .. and fish the tots off the back .. sure you could run flat fish etc .. we were getting the fish pushed against the timber on the rivers I fish and pinching them against it buy lifting anchor and drfting back a foot or two every once in a while and the fish get  upset at the lure and will attack it ..  any how best of luck.. hope to see some pictures..

Fish09

« Reply #11 on: Jun 26, 2017, 08:38 PM »
We didn't do too bad. We just had a hard time finding the eyes. We got 3. Fished from 6-3. Probably caught 40 smallmouth. And 10 rock bass. One small trout as well. We tried crawler harnesses. Jogging crawlers and leaches. Open water. By bridges. Curley tail. Only thing that produced was trolling crank baits. Anyone have any pointers? We didn't fish below the dam too long. Current was heavy

Gartoon

« Reply #12 on: Jun 28, 2017, 09:32 AM »
Try the bridges above the dam . 2oz Bottom bouncers and minnow harnesses work good for me .
Good luck -

Fish09

« Reply #13 on: Jun 28, 2017, 06:13 PM »
Above which dam?? We fished about the dam in south bend. But below the dam in mishawaka. We hard very little luck above the dam. Or below really. We caught most of our fish right in the middle

Gartoon

« Reply #14 on: Jul 01, 2017, 01:51 PM »
above mishawaka
launch off jefferson

Fish the structures . if your using jigs bring alot your going to lose some . that's why i went to bouncers

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.