FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: 2 stroke outboard thread  (Read 20497 times)

lowaccord66

Re: 2 stroke outboard thread
« Reply #45 on: Aug 28, 2017, 04:17 PM »
Check your pm box lol's..  is that what your looking for??

Wow good eye!  Yes that would do it!

boondox

« Reply #46 on: Aug 28, 2017, 04:22 PM »
save the looper and have it rebuilt later on and sell it.. make some money back.. when you finally find a new motor.. lol's

lowaccord66

« Reply #47 on: Aug 29, 2017, 08:02 AM »
I need to try an external tank first.  8k is a decent deal for that yamaha but 10k gets a new 150 evinrude installed with guages.  Puts me about 17k deep overall.  Not bad for a 19'6" deep v.

Mac Attack

« Reply #48 on: Aug 29, 2017, 10:42 AM »
I need to try an external tank first.  8k is a decent deal for that yamaha but 10k gets a new 150 evinrude installed with guages.  Puts me about 17k deep overall.  Not bad for a 19'6" deep v.

Get the Yamaha.
WAY better motor.
I know......less HP.
Still a better motor.

lowaccord66

« Reply #49 on: Aug 29, 2017, 12:15 PM »

Get the Yamaha.
WAY better motor.
I know......less HP.
Still a better motor.

Hp is only relevant when the motor operates though right.  I wouldnt do a 150 4 stroke because its much heavier than whats on there.  Friends have suggested buying another boat but I dont want to sell what I have.  I sell for a living so having to haggle with someone over something like that disintrests me. 

Anyone here repower an older boat they loved? 

boondox

« Reply #50 on: Aug 29, 2017, 12:21 PM »
What size external tank you need cheap plastic or a good aluminum?? This 18 gal aluminum is the price of a cheap plastic tank even has a fuel level sending unit that's electric.. see link..

http://m.northerntool.com/products/shop~tools~product_200104874_200104874?adv=false&cm_mmc=Google-pla&gclid=Cj0KCQjwoZTNBRCWARIsAOMZHmGr-W5-0cLEXyKVdwl-haYfPoq6omMSRCaAfnFs2JIDrEoZlFD0MKIaAnIfEALw_wcB&utm_campaign=RDS&utm_content=3490201&utm_medium=Fuel%20Transfer%20%2B%20Lubrication%20%26gt%3B%20Fuel%20Tanks%20%26gt%3B%20Auxiliary-Transfer%20Tanks&utm_source=Google_PLA

Ya thank fully I have not had to repower  our 79 sea nymph yet or rebuild it but they don't make them like they use to. It has a johson 25 hp we could go as big as a 70 hp in boats these size it not needed not like it's a bass boat racing from spot to spot..  just for waleye fishing a to b lol's

lowaccord66

« Reply #51 on: Aug 29, 2017, 01:16 PM »
Boondox you are the best at finding deals!  I run a 30 gall internal now.  18 would do the trick and your right they dont build them like they used to.  Mines a 89 alumacraft trophy 190.  The looper served me for 3 seasons without issue.  Probably 1000 plus hours of operation.

Mac Attack

« Reply #52 on: Aug 29, 2017, 02:21 PM »

Hp is only relevant when the motor operates though right.  Absolutely!

I wouldn't do a 150 4 stroke because its much heavier than whats on there.  The 4-strokes today are getting VERY close in weight to the old 2-strokes.  But yea, I agree.  I also think the 90 Yamaha would perform fine on your boat, with a 115 Yamaha just about right.  IMHO

Friends have suggested buying another boat but I don't want to sell what I have.  I sell for a living so having to haggle with someone over something like that disinterests me.   Totally understand your feeling here.

Anyone here repower an older boat they loved?   Yup - did it with a small 16' Mirrocraft.  From a 20 HP 2-stroke Merc to a 25 HP 4-stroke Yamaha.  Difference was night and day.  The new Yamaha popped it up on plane in just seconds, where the old (tired) Merc labored.  Loved that little tiller boat.

boondox

« Reply #53 on: Aug 29, 2017, 03:24 PM »

Did a little searching I would wait for the Norwalk boat show see if you can get a deal on a yamaha 115 or even a 90 at the show..  if not go get the evinrude if you feel it's worth it??

Found this wile searching it lists the msrp of the 115 yamaha as 11+k  were the yamaha for 8 k not bad with 50 hours but what kind of hours were they did the guy break the motor in correctly etc etc.. that maybe why he's selling it for 8k so he can get a new 2018 for around 11k  any how see my point?? Or a last year's model at close out pricing at the show?? Just stuff to think about don't let us pressure you cause better to think then just jump on something this expensive cause could cause bad decision.. that's why I lookwd up msrp on the yaMaha 115 it a little or 11k see it at link below by the way that's not the price of motor below but motor at link is a tad far to drive to get if you ask me..

http://www.boattrader.com/listing/2017-yamaha-f115lb-102916606

bigredfishing

• Screw the BS, let's go fishing.
« Reply #54 on: Aug 29, 2017, 03:29 PM »
me. 

Anyone here repower an older boat they loved? 

8) ;D 8) ;D 8) ;D 8) ;D

Mac Attack

« Reply #55 on: Aug 29, 2017, 03:34 PM »
8) ;D 8) ;D 8) ;D 8) ;D

Of course you did Lance!!  The real question is how many?

:D

lowaccord66

« Reply #56 on: Aug 29, 2017, 03:36 PM »
I love the feedback guys.  I am a hardcore fisherman but a boat googan if that makes sense.  I find the cirrent outboard is making me more of a boat mechanic than I'd like to be.

Boondox thats a great point...take time, save more bacon and see what the show offers.  Also with you on the used Yam with 50 hourrs.  That guy would need to have a solid story as to why hes offing it.

Lance....you suck.  I'd make an offer on that 90 anyday!  Then again you didnt complain about a 8 mile trolling motor ride when the 140 quit....

lowaccord66

« Reply #57 on: Aug 30, 2017, 07:34 PM »
Definetly a tank pickup issue.  Ran it today.  As long as I kept the bulb firm it ran fine.  After a while the idle would pick up, id check the bulb and it would be nearly empty.  Slowly pumping it up kept things from dying.  Now this was on a 8 mph lake so I never got on plane...I assume the issue with the pick up is worse when I am coming off plane.

boondox

« Reply #58 on: Aug 30, 2017, 08:53 PM »
When's the last time you replaced the hose?  See if you can get a replacement primer bulb and hose assembly and replace it.. you must have a pin hole air leak in the hose.. had same thing on ours cause of one of the connection points was wrong.  Ours was leaking were the hose clamp for the motor fitting was.. and primer bulb would not stiffen up..  I am assumeing yours must have deteriorated??  usely fuel does this to rubber hoses..  let's hope a new hose assembly  solves problem..  if not its a tank pick up  in the tank.. at least now you know it's not the head gasket.. all the symptoms you said stalling,  high idel , hard starting  can be a bad head gasket and or a  fuel fault that's why I say compression test before replace head gasket  cause what I seen might be incorrect and is a fuel issue..  hopefully a new hose fixes the issue.. if not think of a staw that's got a Crack in it you go to suck your drink up and does not supply enough fluid get what I am saying? So if not hose it maybe the fuel pick up but I am assuming hose first off..

lowaccord66

« Reply #59 on: Sep 05, 2017, 06:10 AM »
Issue resolved...well sort of.  I used the boat all weekend.  As lomg as the tank is near full the pickup is happy and all works well.  Got up to 39 on gps so not bad for a 19'6" boat.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.