FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: 2 stroke outboard thread  (Read 20494 times)

lowaccord66

2 stroke outboard thread
« on: Jun 23, 2017, 06:22 PM »
I have a 1990 Evinrude 140, the looper...and have put about 1000 hours on it up to this season.  Spent 1400 having carbs rebuilt, water pump, tstat, tune up ect...Went on to do 6 or 7 trips...roughly 100 nautical miles traveled and now I am back to rough starts...or as last Sunday went no start at all after an 8 mile run.  Anyways...rather dismayed to see loose hose clamps on my fuel line so I fixed that...tested did a few runs before the hard starts came back.  (I suspect more air was getting in)

Anyways the shame is this...I love the hull..its a 88 alumacraft 196 trophy and its great...4 stroke repower cost is massive...but I want fuel injection badly.  Who's with me?

Anyone else out there hating on carbs and air bubbles lile I am?

esox_xtm

• It's SHOWTIME!
Re: 2 stroke outboard thread
« Reply #1 on: Jun 24, 2017, 06:26 AM »
I was in the same boat  ::). Years ago fell into a deal for a '94 Stratos with the same year Johnny. Everything looked pristine but lack of use had taken it's toll and within 2 years busted a ring. I should have had the thing rebuilt but they offered an Evinrude 2 years newer for about the same price of a repair. Did that and hated it. Slower (different lower unit), noisy, gas guzzling, hard starting, oil burning pile always leaving me uneasy about its reliability. Still loved the boat even though she shows some battle scars.

I always thought about if I could re-power with anything it would be a current model E-tec. My rig is an "in-betweener", hp sticker says 140. I don't think anyone (maybe Suzuki and that ain't happening) makes one of those any more. It's all 135s with the next step to 150. Late last year came across some ads on Craigslist for several 2016 E-tecs in various horsepowers, a few 200s and 150s and one lonely 135 HO. Owned by a ski team that had a promo deal with BRP, they got 'em for the season at a promo price and then they'd sell come September. Any profit went back to the club and some they lost a little on but still got the full use of a brand new motor every year.

I made the deal for less than half MSRP and the full 3 year warranty transfers. Couldn't be happier. Shop around maybe you'll fall into a deal like I did. Did I say I couldn't be happier?  ;D I'm with you....

Good luck to you in your search!

Not Fish???      Not an Option!!!                                                                  Go Packers !!! 

filetandrelease

« Reply #2 on: Jun 24, 2017, 07:14 AM »
On my smaller boats I had 2 strokes which worked well but had to deal with oil and the smell and loading up some  , then I was offered a very nice deal on a bigger boat with a verado and a pro kicker , quiet and smooth running , don't think I'll ever own another 2 stroke

Mac Attack

« Reply #3 on: Jun 24, 2017, 09:19 AM »

don't think I'll ever own another 2 stroke

X2

taxid

« Reply #4 on: Jun 24, 2017, 04:39 PM »
Now you guys have me worried. Bought a new used Yamaha 4 stroke last summer but haven't really taken it out yet as my favorite lake is electric only. I guess I better get it out there and fire it up!
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

trophytaker1

« Reply #5 on: Jun 26, 2017, 08:37 AM »
In 2006 i upgraded to a 4 stroke EFI. Its awesome to go to the lake and never worry about whether the motors gonna start. Always start right up. It was well worth the investment for the piece of mind.

lowaccord66

« Reply #6 on: Jun 26, 2017, 09:39 AM »
far as i can see, ill be an OMC 2stroker for life. no injectors to foul either.  strait up mix by me only.  very few problems over the last 30+yrs.

I premix myself.  No VRO.  What I cant complain about is performance.  I ran it last night and had no issues.  Was doing 33-34 at 4500.  Idle was a little high which suggests I have some air in the lines still....

Mac Attack

« Reply #7 on: Jun 26, 2017, 01:34 PM »
Now you guys have me worried. Bought a new used Yamaha 4 stroke last summer but haven't really taken it out yet as my favorite lake is electric only. I guess I better get it out there and fire it up!

The Yamaha 4-strokes are bullet proof.

Unless it's a string trimmer, I will NEVER buy another 2 stroke anything.
And before you know it, they won't even be available anymore.
So problem solved.

lowaccord66

« Reply #8 on: Jun 26, 2017, 08:01 PM »
The Yamaha 4-strokes are bullet proof.

Unless it's a string trimmer, I will NEVER buy another 2 stroke anything.
And before you know it, they won't even be available anymore.
So problem solved.

I found a used 2003 Yam 115 4 stroke and may check it out. 

Mac Attack

« Reply #9 on: Jun 27, 2017, 07:54 AM »
I found a used 2003 Yam 115 4 stroke and may check it out. 

Good luck

filetandrelease

« Reply #10 on: Jun 27, 2017, 08:23 AM »

lowaccord66

« Reply #11 on: Jun 27, 2017, 08:42 AM »
Good luck

Thanks guys.  A friend of mine suggested I just het a new boat but I am in love with my hull.  Big old alumacrafts are hard to find and I dont want to buy someone elses problems when I am nearly done fixing mine!

In other news I fixed my air leak for sure.  Checked the bulb this morning...still primed from Sunday.  Going to fish tonight!

taxid

« Reply #12 on: Jun 27, 2017, 12:17 PM »
Thanks guys.  A friend of mine suggested I just het a new boat but I am in love with my hull.  Big old alumacrafts are hard to find and I dont want to buy someone elses problems when I am nearly done fixing mine!

In other news I fixed my air leak for sure.  Checked the bulb this morning...still primed from Sunday.  Going to fish tonight!

Glad to hear it! Always good when you get equipment working again!
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

TT

« Reply #13 on: Jun 27, 2017, 12:53 PM »
Let me know how you make out tonight if you get out. I might go for a koke fix tomorrow.

lowaccord66

« Reply #14 on: Jun 27, 2017, 01:46 PM »
Let me know how you make out tonight if you get out. I might go for a koke fix tomorrow.

Will do.  See if the evening feed continues.  Line of storms just went through.  Hopefully the last. 

In the meantime a 2 stroke story... Buddy has 2016 Evunride 2 stroke FI.  Hundred hours and the flywheel bolts sheared....ouch.  not fun when brand new outboards tank. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.