FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: 2 stroke outboard thread  (Read 20501 times)

Mac Attack

Re: 2 stroke outboard thread
« Reply #75 on: Sep 13, 2017, 03:04 PM »

Mac I will give that guy a call thank you!

My buddy said they did very good work, were really fast turnaround, and also reasonable priced for what he had done.

Tell them my buddy was Paul with the Polar Kraft they had to pull the floor out to fix the hull.

boondox

« Reply #76 on: Sep 13, 2017, 04:29 PM »
I do run startron or stabil.  Thanks for the input Joe I will have to give it a look. Mac I will give that guy a call thank you!  In other news I went to troll the other morning 41 degrees and it fired right up!

You know you should not use stabil fuel treatment to store your boat right??  Stabil has alcohol in it that attracts water so stop useing it!! if you are when you store it the water turns to gum and vanish etc etc that's why people are buying ethonal free fuel for two strokes like ice augers cause it stores better.. threw out the year..

I bet your glad you did not call on that 4 stroke now!! Now that the motors working for sure at least you know something up with fuel now!! And you don't need a new motor..

lowaccord66

« Reply #77 on: Sep 13, 2017, 05:39 PM »
You have that right Boondox.  Never use stabil for storage only during the season. (I sold the company that makes it, software so maybe I am biased lol) Very glad I didnt spend on a new outboard...for now.  I got to 42 on gps fishing alone the other morning so I dont meed to go any faster.  I am going to call the guy mac suggests and see about a new tank this winter.  Maybe expand the compacity a bit.

Reliability has been solid enough that I think Ill fish tog season with it. 

boondox

« Reply #78 on: Sep 13, 2017, 06:44 PM »
You have that right Boondox.  Never use stabil for storage only during the season. (I sold the company that makes it, software so maybe I am biased lol) Very glad I didnt spend on a new outboard...for now.  I got to 42 on gps fishing alone the other morning so I dont meed to go any faster.  I am going to call the guy mac suggests and see about a new tank this winter.  Maybe expand the compacity a bit.

Reliability has been solid enough that I think Ill fish tog season with it. 

You got it!!  happy tog fishing !! Lols

UglyStik

« Reply #79 on: Sep 13, 2017, 07:24 PM »
I read thru most of this thread but only saw passing mention of fuel lines. There is a known issue with ethanol and fuel lines and the havoc it creates. The inner liner collapses on many and will cause erratic symptoms that are hard to diagnose and will go into remission, only to reappear. May not be your problem but may help someone out.

http://www.thehulltruth.com/boating-forum/226390-ethanol-fuel-lines.html

Another thought, would it be possible to connect a portable plastic tank temporarily just to eliminate that portion of the fuel system, should the problem recurr?

lowaccord66

« Reply #80 on: Sep 14, 2017, 05:41 AM »
Fuel lines were only touched briefly because they were replaced immediately! Im going to replace the tank as the mechanic that did the carbs said it ran fin on his external.

Mac Attack

« Reply #81 on: Sep 14, 2017, 10:51 AM »
Fuel lines were only touched briefly because they were replaced immediately! Im going to replace the tank as the mechanic that did the carbs said it ran fin on his external.

Could be simply the pickup in the old tank is gummed up.

boondox

« Reply #82 on: Sep 14, 2017, 01:49 PM »

Could be simply the pickup in the old tank is gummed up.

Or cracked?  if he run it on full tank no problems..  then when a little empty stall issues??  there is a reasonn.. problem keeping bulb primed etc etc .. sounds like a air suction issue weather the hose and bulb or fittings to motor or fuel tank or the fuel tank  it's self is the problem.. all are possible causes so examine closely before just replacing tank is the best advise I can give but sounds like tank pick up tube maybe loose or broken.. some times the pic up tubes are part of fitting that comes out of tank like the tank bung screws in to the pick up tube then in to tank wich a lose fitting connection will leak air..  tightening up the fittings  solves problem

Roccus

« Reply #83 on: Sep 14, 2017, 02:30 PM »

You know you should not use stabil fuel treatment to store your boat right??  Stabil has alcohol in it that attracts water so stop useing it!! if you are when you store it the water turns to gum and vanish etc etc that's why people are buying ethonal free fuel for two strokes like ice augers cause it stores better.. threw out the year..

I bet your glad you did not call on that 4 stroke now!! Now that the motors working for sure at least you know something up with fuel now!! And you don't need a new motor..

Marine sta-bil is alcohol free... read the label if you don't believe me....Star tron can stabilize fuel for up to 2 years....

Jon... check the pick up screen but odds are the check valve is bad... you can replace it with  3/8 or 1/4 MNPT fitting depending on your fuel hose size...

everyone hoots on E-10.... my mechanic days go back to leaded gasoline... and that stuff had it's share of problems too... trouble is most are too young or too old to remember... corn fuel is no angel... but we can live with it if we  take a few precautions and are vigilant with our maintenance...

Mac Attack

« Reply #84 on: Sep 14, 2017, 03:40 PM »

Marine sta-bil is alcohol free... read the label if you don't believe me....Star tron can stabilize fuel for up to 2 years....

Boom!
Exactly.

I use Startron.

boondox

« Reply #85 on: Sep 14, 2017, 04:34 PM »

Jon... check the pick up screen but odds are the check valve is bad... you can replace it with  3/8 or 1/4 MNPT fitting depending on your fuel hose size...

everyone hoots on E-10.... my mechanic days go back to leaded gasoline... and that stuff had it's share of problems too... trouble is most are too young or too old to remember... corn fuel is no angel... but we can live with it if we  take a few precautions and are vigilant with our maintenance...

Mineral spiris and red dye?  the problem with that is most mineral spirits contain dentured alcohol in the form of acetone. .

lowaccord66

« Reply #86 on: Sep 14, 2017, 07:03 PM »

Will do Joe.  I run 110 leaded in the car every once in a blue moon.  Love the smell. Turbo cars love it.

Mac Attack

« Reply #87 on: Sep 14, 2017, 08:51 PM »

Mineral spiris and red dye?  the problem with that is most mineral spirits contain dentured alcohol in the form of acetone. .

Sorry Boon.
Mineral spirits are petroleum based.
There is no denatured alcohol, or any form of alcohol, in mineral spirits.

boondox

« Reply #88 on: Sep 14, 2017, 10:30 PM »
Sorry Boon.
Mineral spirits are petroleum based.
There is no denatured alcohol, or any form of alcohol, in mineral spirits.

So is stabil bud.. check the msds also know as a material safety data sheet there listed as same products..

hydrotreated light petrolem distillate ..

Mac Attack

« Reply #89 on: Sep 15, 2017, 07:08 AM »
So is stabil bud.. check the msds also know as a material safety data sheet there listed as same products..

hydrotreated light petrolem distillate ..

I know what an msds is boon
You're missing my point
You stated that mineral spirits had denatured alcohol in it and it doesn't.
Also, marine stabile and Startron do not have alcohol in them either.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.