FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Mullet Lake Mi  (Read 2256 times)

netminder34

Mullet Lake Mi
« on: Jun 25, 2017, 05:02 PM »
Took a long weekend camping trip to Mullet Lake in Upper Lower Michigan(Part of the Inland Waterway).  What a body of water, 17,500ish acres wow like being on the big lake.  Well anyway we took our first trip up there and had a great time even with the winds howling the last 2 days and not getting to fish.  My understanding it is a good small mouth system but we didn't get to fish for them as they were the target on the blow days.  We did target some rainbows/steelhead on the first day with some success, caught a few and lost a few trolling the usual steelhead baits only in a smaller version of the Big lake rigs I normally use, mini and jr spoons seemed to be the ticket there.  The second day we targeted walleye and had a slow morning with only a couple shorts and few bites.  While getting gas a local asked us where we were fishing and offered up some advice where they were catching some.  We were only a little off from our original drift/trolling area but on his advice we moved in to 15-20 fow and trolled with some harnesses and stick baits.  Ended the night trip with a couple nice keepers and several shorts released for next trip.  Stayed at the state park, nice campground and right on the lake which the wife and I enjoyed even with the wind for the remainder of the trip.  Definitely going to plan another trip most likely for a week or more next trip.

Roll tide

Re: Mullet Lake Mi
« Reply #1 on: Jun 25, 2017, 07:44 PM »
Sounds like a great time. We have camped there in the past. If you go back, there is a small called long lake just to the east of  Mullit and aloha sp. We fished several time there and had good luck on walleye, smallies and a few 7 to 10lbs pike. It is only about a 15 minute drive from state park. There is a state ramp on the lake
On

netminder34

« Reply #2 on: Jun 26, 2017, 09:28 AM »
Thanks for that info.  I saw it on the map and thought about venturing out a little more on the blow days but the wife wanted to do some sight seeing in the area so we headed to Cheboygan.  Next time we go I am going to make it a longer trip for sure 5 days just wasn't enough with the travel time thrown in there, at least a week but probably try to make it two if I can swing it.

Roll tide

« Reply #3 on: Jun 26, 2017, 06:40 PM »
The town of Burt lake is also a place my wife likes to visit. Some antique stores and a great ice cream store. Never had much luck fishing Burt Lake. Have stayed at both Burt lake SP, and Aloha is a lot nicer of the 2

netminder34

« Reply #4 on: Jun 27, 2017, 03:58 PM »
I have heard the same about Aloha being the nicer of the two and think we will be sticking with Aloha on our trips up there.  Next trip will be for at least a week so we can explore more.  We wanted to take a trip down Indian river but with the blow days our last 2 days we didnt make it.  First time up there but not our last for sure.  Going to hit Crystal lake next and maybe Houghton for a day or two after that, then start planing our next trip to Aloha.

staubsaugen

« Reply #5 on: Jun 27, 2017, 04:15 PM »
Crystal Lake is gorgeous and loaded with big rock bass. I really wanted to try for the salmon there, but wasn't set up for it. if anyone ever gets there for the salmon i would love to hear a report. i hope to get back there someday! aloha sounds like a great location to access some great fishing! thanks for your posts.

netminder34

« Reply #6 on: Jun 28, 2017, 03:20 PM »
I have heard about the Salmon in Crystal but have never fished them and know a lot of guys from the area, but do not know of any that fished them.  I think what I heard is that most target them early spring or later in the fall during their run.  We do a lot of ice fishing there when there is ice, not the last 2 years.  I haven't fished it during the summer in many years but Mom wants to go after some perch so going to make her happy and chase some bandits and rock bass also I am sure.  Thinking about taking some trolling gear as I just modified the boat with a new track system and have a better rod holder system.  Machined some adapters for a couple downriggers this morning also so I am fully converted to tackle some heavier trolling than what I have been doing.  But if I do any trolling it will be in the big lake for some Kings.  Grew up there and get back every chance I can, great area to visit better area to live.

taxid

« Reply #7 on: Jul 03, 2017, 07:11 PM »
Had a guy from Michigan tell me there are some huge rainbows in Crystal Lake.

I found the following:

http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,4570,7-153-10364_53405-322819--,00.html
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Edge

« Reply #8 on: Jul 06, 2017, 07:25 AM »
I fished crystal in early June for the first time, incredible looking lake.  Found a few smallies on beds, definitely worth a trip.  We got the tip from some locals I had no idea what to expect, we were blown away when we saw the lake.

Family vacation up to Pickerel Lake toward the end of the month which is also part of the waterway.  Not sure we will make it to Burt or Mullet.  Hope to drag some crawlers and leeches around pickerel and crooked and get the kids on some fish. 

Charlevoix is another destination worth checking out your next trip up that way.  Neat little town. 

kesdadddy7597

« Reply #9 on: Jul 11, 2017, 01:03 AM »
Fish the big weed bed on the East end of Pickerel.  Early morning or late evening should produce eyes.  12-15' of water with deep weeds.  If you haven't fishe Pickerel before be prepared to catch lots of hammer handles. It is absolutely loaded with them, and some trophy size rock bass and bluegills as well.  One of my favorite lakes of all time to fish. 

Edge

« Reply #10 on: Jul 11, 2017, 08:13 AM »
Thanks for the tip, our rental is on the east end.  I will definitely give it a try.  Any specific bait work better for the eyes?

Ever make it to Crooked?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.