FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Shad  (Read 3290 times)

TightLinesMaine

Shad
« on: Jun 25, 2017, 07:27 PM »
Was a fun sunday afternoon, only landed two (shad), but one was a hog! one of my two biggest shad to date, possibly a new PB.  LOTS of drag peeling with the usually shakes and runs.  Caught with 6 lb test on the ultra light spin rod (no fly fishing today).  Got hits on yellow, white, and pink lures.  Had a hunch they'd be biting today at this spot, had to work for 'em but love it when hunches are right.   ;D

MG39

• No Matter Where You Go, There You Are!
Re: Shad
« Reply #1 on: Jun 25, 2017, 07:40 PM »
That's a chunky one for sure. I didn't get to fish for the shad this year, first time in many trips. Pound for pound they don't take a back seat to any other fish. ;D
Man To Man Is So Unjust,
No Man Knows, Which Man To Trust,
I Have trusted Many, To My Sorrow,
Pay Cash Today, And I Will Trust Tomorrow.
Maybe!
               "Semper Fi"

TightLinesMaine

« Reply #2 on: Jun 25, 2017, 07:45 PM »
That's a chunky one for sure. I didn't get to fish for the shad this year, first time in many trips. Pound for pound they don't take a back seat to any other fish. ;D

have to agree, they're right up there with Salmon/trout, Smallmouth and Striped bass

franklin fisher

« Reply #3 on: Jun 25, 2017, 09:05 PM »
  Cool to see something different on here.  Thanks for sharing.

Jim C.

• Up the creek...and loving it!
« Reply #4 on: Jun 26, 2017, 09:00 AM »
Way to go, Randall!

I caught a few in the CT River a few years ago, but none in Maine.  Definitely a blast.

TightLinesMaine

« Reply #5 on: Jun 26, 2017, 10:56 AM »
Way to go, Randall!

I caught a few in the CT River a few years ago, but none in Maine.  Definitely a blast.

did you ever get into any on the fly rod Jim? that's a goal of mine,  though I'll need an 7/8 wt or a two hander/switch rod to get into 'em I think.  No great room to backcast where I was. 

caught_the_fever

« Reply #6 on: Jun 26, 2017, 11:39 AM »
Was a fun sunday afternoon, only landed two (shad), but one was a hog! one of my two biggest shad to date, possibly a new PB.  LOTS of drag peeling with the usually shakes and runs.  Caught with 6 lb test on the ultra light spin rod (no fly fishing today).  Got hits on yellow, white, and pink lures.  Had a hunch they'd be biting today at this spot, had to work for 'em but love it when hunches are right.   ;D

I seem to recall you mentioning catching a few of these was a goal of yours - congrats on making it happen.  I can't say I've ever caught one but it sounds like quite a fight.  Good luck with your pursuit on the fly rod.

TightLinesMaine

« Reply #7 on: Jun 26, 2017, 11:59 AM »
I seem to recall you mentioning catching a few of these was a goal of yours - congrats on making it happen.  I can't say I've ever caught one but it sounds like quite a fight.  Good luck with your pursuit on the fly rod.

thanks, 2016 I got into my first shads, got just under a dozen or so and I've been hooked since

Jim C.

• Up the creek...and loving it!
« Reply #8 on: Jun 26, 2017, 01:06 PM »
No, just on spinning.  That was an interesting trip.  I also caught walleye, bass, etc. mixed with the shad. 

did you ever get into any on the fly rod Jim? that's a goal of mine,  though I'll need an 7/8 wt or a two hander/switch rod to get into 'em I think.  No great room to backcast where I was. 

fish wayniac

« Reply #9 on: Jun 26, 2017, 05:26 PM »
Congratz on your PB! I have not targeted those fiesty fish yet. Sounds like fun.

BigCort

« Reply #10 on: Jun 26, 2017, 06:28 PM »
Shad are great fish to catch used to get them in the Delaware River when they turn sideways in the current they really fight good

fishlessman

« Reply #11 on: Jun 27, 2017, 07:33 AM »
awesome fish on light tackle or fly. atlantics will move in with them, ive caught and watched a few searuns landed when the shad were running years ago down on the merrimac in mass. i settled in on a six weight 10.5 footer for a single hand modified spey cast, heavy rod to cast for that weight

stripernut

« Reply #12 on: Jun 27, 2017, 10:15 AM »
Nice Fish! Love getting them on light tackle! When I use a fly rod, a 5 wt gets the job done for me...

TightLinesMaine

« Reply #13 on: Jun 27, 2017, 10:39 AM »
awesome fish on light tackle or fly. atlantics will move in with them, ive caught and watched a few searuns landed when the shad were running years ago down on the merrimac in mass. i settled in on a six weight 10.5 footer for a single hand modified spey cast, heavy rod to cast for that weight

Is that like a Snap T cast? or is that something different? (don't know anything about spey casting/two handed casting)

this would be a dream to be able to do...

fishlessman

« Reply #14 on: Jun 27, 2017, 12:31 PM »
Is that like a Snap T cast? or is that something different? (don't know anything about spey casting/two handed casting)

this would be a dream to be able to do...

not much snap to it except for the very end where im reaching forward. very smooth pickup, sort of figure 8 with a loop up river, bringing it down river for a second loop, then bringing it forward and up stream and snapping the wrist forward at the end of the stroke for a little power. that foot and a half at the end of the rod makes it really heavey. the rod works better for me with a smooth stroke with that added weight although it will easily cast the steelhead line way into the backing with a double haul, its not something you want to cast all day. works fine for the last part of an incoming tide for shad. i say modified because ive never looked into spey casting methods

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.