FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Had "one of those days" with a happy ending!  (Read 1078 times)

Fishermantim

• I go where the water takes me!
Had "one of those days" with a happy ending!
« on: Jun 26, 2017, 11:07 AM »
I was fishing one of my semi-favorite fishing ponds this weekend.
Started out late Saturday afternoon, planning on fishing into the night.
Got to the pond (no one else on the water???) and launched from the dirt ramp.
Drifted out about 5-10 feet and was getting prepped by pulling out whatever lures I planned on using.
(Because of the weeds it was going to be weedless rigged worms and surface frogs.)
Go to pull the tackle bag from behind me and the strap "somehow" hooked the handle on one of my rods and sent it overboard.

Now the pond isn't deep, and even with the weeds I felt I should have no trouble snagging the rod, guide or even the line with my other rod....WRONG!!!
I spent 30 minutes before I resigned myself to the fact that I wasn't going to find it, particularly in the waning light of the day, so I went fishing with my remaining rod. I caught a bunch of fish, lost one 3-4 lb. lunker, but still had a very good outing (except for the lost rod).

I bring a spot light with me in order to see the landing clearly as well as spotting the resident beavers and muskrats if they choose to cross my path.

As I was heading back I looked with the spotlight, but the water was too murky to see, so I headed home to regale my family with the story of the lost rod.

Decided to head back Sunday morning, with waders and a rake to see if I could dredge up the rod that way. Besides a rather large water snake (trying to eat a sunfish) there wasn't anything else found....except lots and lots of weeds! SO......I headed out again and fished for a few hours, caught a lot of fish again, and as I headed back to the landing I drifted over the area I had searched on Sat and  Sun.

Seems I was off by about 5 feet, as I drifted over the rod and after a few casts with a snagging rig I pulled up the rod!

Brought it home, checked and cleaned the internals, added some additional grease, and it's good to go!

Of course the main reason for getting it back was that I really like, and I MEAN REALLY, REALLY LIKE the rod!
The reel is a $10 Wally-world cheapo, and they do the job for as long as they last (I really wear them out!)

So....I lost my rod, caught a lot of decent fish, and found my rod.....all in less than 24 hours.

How was your weekend???

"God is playing to an audience that's afraid to laugh" (George Burns from "Oh, GOD")

"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!" - The Existential Blues

fishbone

Re: Had "one of those days" with a happy ending!
« Reply #1 on: Jun 26, 2017, 01:15 PM »
i had a great weekend...i got 20 lakers yesterday...a mix of stocked and wild....biggest was 10.5 lb out of 20 fish that 30 incher was the best...all released

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.