FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: GIANT SPIDERS!!  (Read 4077 times)

Baitbucket

GIANT SPIDERS!!
« on: Jun 27, 2017, 05:50 AM »
Hit the Q last night with Allan hoping for some top water bass action. The water has come up a bit and the area we wanted to fish wasnt accessible. So we fished another section we had fished before but wasnt particularly productive.

All the conditions were right. No moon, little wind, and just had a storm come thru.

All we were able to manage was some big rock bass and a pig Sun fish that hit Allans Panic Prey. One of the rock bass had a mouth ful of these small bait fish. Allan and i didnt know what they were, so please feel free to identify them if you know.

We also happened across a giant black and white spider weaving its web on the way out. When i say giant, i mean half dollar sized. Good thing Allan spotted it. Had i walked into its massive web, it would have easily carried me off to its young. I wonder if rattle snakes eat those things?

bogtrotter

Re: GIANT SPIDERS!!
« Reply #1 on: Jun 27, 2017, 06:39 AM »
Nice photos!

stripernut

« Reply #2 on: Jun 27, 2017, 07:04 AM »
Even without it being very productive it was a great to be out. That juvenile fish was a Banded Killifish...

LENZ

• Member of the G.O.D.S
« Reply #3 on: Jun 27, 2017, 07:09 AM »
strange fish, never seen one before. i'll post on NEF and see what they say

I run into huge spiders in my raspberry patch, bending down to pick a berry and there is a 3" garden spider..ugh
burp
soft water fishin' is for softies

burp

Baitbucket

« Reply #4 on: Jun 27, 2017, 08:14 AM »
I run into huge spiders in my raspberry patch, bending down to pick a berry and there is a 3" garden spider..ugh
burp

I hear yah man. I dont mind spiders as long as i know they are there. But get on me unexpectedly and its every man for himself. And im still here lol.. Sorry spiders.

Fishermantim

• I go where the water takes me!
« Reply #5 on: Jun 27, 2017, 10:30 AM »
Reminds me of a "Far Side" cartoon where two spiders are talking (it's a cartoon, ok?) at the bottom of a kiddy slide, and one has finished spinning a web at the bottom. The caption says "If we can pull this off, we'll be eating like kings!"

As for me, when I fish, I have only one insect rule...STAY OFF THE FACE!!!
I have a knack of finding baby spiders that are "ballooning" from their hatching site, and finding them crawling on my kayak.

They can wander all over the kayak, but stay off of my face, or else they WILL get swatted.
Actually any bug that ventures onto my head will get a quick departure.
Not that I get freaked out by bugs, but rather I don't want to be dealing with critters when a big fish takes my lure.

Oh, and it HAS happened in the past, which is why I have the rule.
"God is playing to an audience that's afraid to laugh" (George Burns from "Oh, GOD")

"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!" - The Existential Blues

taxid

« Reply #6 on: Jun 27, 2017, 12:22 PM »
Even without it being very productive it was a great to be out. That juvenile fish was a Banded Killifish...

Yup actually not that unusual in Mass. I've seen them in several Mass Fish & Wildlife pond surveys.

As far as spiders it could be an exotic for all you know (Don't know squat about spiders). There are so many exotic species that have come in the U.S. and they keep coming. I remember seeing spiders from other countries in banana boxes when I worked in a grocery store.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

taxid

« Reply #7 on: Jun 27, 2017, 12:25 PM »
Reminds me of a "Far Side" cartoon where two spiders are talking (it's a cartoon, ok?) at the bottom of a kiddy slide, and one has finished spinning a web at the bottom. The caption says "If we can pull this off, we'll be eating like kings!"

As for me, when I fish, I have only one insect rule...STAY OFF THE FACE!!!
I have a knack of finding baby spiders that are "ballooning" from their hatching site, and finding them crawling on my kayak.

They can wander all over the kayak, but stay off of my face, or else they WILL get swatted.
Actually any bug that ventures onto my head will get a quick departure.
Not that I get freaked out by bugs, but rather I don't want to be dealing with critters when a big fish takes my lure.

Oh, and it HAS happened in the past, which is why I have the rule.

Out here in the midwest we have deer flies that won't' give up biting you above the neck. Only way I can kill them is to wait until they land and smack them with my hand. They seem to feed on insect repellent. Once was bringing my boat up to the bank in a remote stream and the front end was literally covered with them. I ran like hell.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Baitbucket

« Reply #8 on: Jun 27, 2017, 02:43 PM »
I need to find a small lure i can troll that looks like those little bait fish

lowaccord66

« Reply #9 on: Jun 27, 2017, 03:50 PM »

Luckycraft makes or made a perch pointer in a dull finish that looks similar.

stripernut

« Reply #10 on: Jun 27, 2017, 05:05 PM »

If you want to catch rockfish! LOL..

UglyStik

« Reply #11 on: Jun 27, 2017, 05:18 PM »
Orb weaver, good thing you stayed away.

dumbba

« Reply #12 on: Jun 27, 2017, 06:08 PM »
Am I the only one that can't see any of Will's pictures anymore???

Baitbucket

« Reply #13 on: Jun 27, 2017, 07:16 PM »
Am I the only one that can't see any of Will's pictures anymore???

Should show up, is it showing an error or something?

Baitbucket

« Reply #14 on: Jun 27, 2017, 07:23 PM »
Luckycraft makes or made a perch pointer in a dull finish that looks similar.

They got one that looks pretty d**n close. Interestingly enough, its a their "Baby blue gill" pattern. Maybe thats what these were?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.