FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Targeting Trophy Bullhead?  (Read 1775 times)

CatchAndReleaseColin

Targeting Trophy Bullhead?
« on: Jun 27, 2017, 06:25 PM »
Does anyone have a tip as to a few water bodies to target in central MA (Worcester county) for larger bullhead?
I can catch 8-12 inch bullhead all night long - trying to target larger ones -
Is this possible in central MA or does it require a ride to the east?
Any input is appreciated...thanks! Bullhead fishing is something I took up only last year...

taxid

Re: Targeting Trophy Bullhead?
« Reply #1 on: Jun 28, 2017, 02:02 PM »
Have you tried Mass Fish & Wildlife? They have surveys that have info like that.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Steve H.

« Reply #2 on: Jun 28, 2017, 02:09 PM »
My largest bullheads have always come from larger rivers and not ponds or lakes.  Fish the deep bend pools and night.
It is understood that fishing licenses, gas, bait, etc., all cost money, but try not to let a limit of trout be your only gauge for success. – Ben Nugent, (NH F&G) Regional Fisheries Biologist

stripernut

« Reply #3 on: Jun 28, 2017, 04:53 PM »
Quabbin has some big ones...

taxid

« Reply #4 on: Jun 28, 2017, 09:13 PM »
I was near the Connecticut River near Deerfield or South Deerfield a couple of weeks ago. That is a good size river! I'll bet there are some interesting fish in that river!

i took the wife to a butterfly conservancy for her birthday.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Eastciderida

« Reply #5 on: Jun 29, 2017, 06:10 AM »
Bell pond in Worcester has some big cats in high school saw one a good 5 feet long in shallow water

stripernut

« Reply #6 on: Jun 29, 2017, 06:37 AM »
The Conn. River has some very nice Channel Cats. Are you looking to eat any of them? I would not eat a cat from the River, but many do.

fishlessman

« Reply #7 on: Jun 29, 2017, 07:27 AM »
most of the really big bullheads you see caught are white catfish. the record thats over 6 pounds caught by azis was probably a white cat and not a bullhead, i live on the lake he caught it and both species are in the lake. i dont fish your way but thats what you want to look for. if you do find a lake with them use live shiners over 6 inches, you might be on a lake that has them, they like moving bait, ive caught them on big shiners, lures, flies, icefishing, but have never caught one worm fishing. they like slow moving water so on a lake look for channels, inlets etc

Fisherman2401

« Reply #8 on: Jun 29, 2017, 09:00 AM »
First place I would start is mass best bets for bullheads. Then check the gold pin winners for mass the last several years and even the ones leading this year. You will find the trophy weighed in aren't coming from the rivers. I know people who exclusively fish Ct river for cats and they really catch bulls according to them. There are some very good ones in central mass and I have gotten plenty of pins in the area.

I know roger pretty well and if you look it up he uses a "soaping" technique he swears that bring in the big bull heads. I also would recommend cut bait perch, seeds, or fallfish. Bigger tends to get the bigger bites. Also I usually bring a tote to put the smaller ones in and give the bigger ones time to get to the bait. Then release them at the end of fishing

taxid

« Reply #9 on: Jun 29, 2017, 11:34 AM »
When I lived in Mass almost 50 years ago we would catch bullheads fishing at night in a pond called Grove Pond just outside of Ayer, Mass. Not sure how big they were but it was nonstop action on chicken liver.

Fishermantim

• I go where the water takes me!
« Reply #10 on: Jun 29, 2017, 12:03 PM »
If all else fails, try fishing for ANYTHING ELSE....that's how I usually end up catching them  ;D
"God is playing to an audience that's afraid to laugh" (George Burns from "Oh, GOD")

"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!" - The Existential Blues

greensider

« Reply #11 on: Jun 29, 2017, 12:30 PM »
Where ever you go try raw shrimp you won't be disappointed

bigredfishing

• Screw the BS, let's go fishing.
« Reply #12 on: Jun 29, 2017, 01:59 PM »
canned corn is another GREAT bullhead and small catfish bait.   

james1981

« Reply #13 on: Jun 29, 2017, 04:36 PM »
 I grew up on a lake and the two best baits for bullheads are hotdogs and bacon. The oils from bacon just lure them in like nothing else, usually cut up a few pieces to chum the water same with hot dogs and they just keep coming in. Usually all night.

stripernut

« Reply #14 on: Jun 29, 2017, 04:48 PM »
Bullhead love glow in the dark, I have often gotten them on a bare hook with a piece of glow take folded on... Both open water and under the ice...

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.