FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: And....The Battle Begins!  (Read 9831 times)

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
Re: And....The Battle Begins!
« Reply #45 on: Jul 21, 2017, 07:10 AM »
I'm thinking I'll try standard grub control methods this year and in the spring and see what happens. Pretty easy to spread with a broadcast spreader. I work part time at Lowes and have access to all the broken bags of fertilizer and such for penny's on the dollar. I buy my mulch each year that way. I end up paying about 20% of retail.

I like a deal ;D

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

fishnmachine

• Life Member NAFC
« Reply #46 on: Jul 21, 2017, 08:09 AM »
My daughter's flower garden was invaded and decimated yesterday by a new one to us. The Red Lily Beetle moved in and turned her beautiful lilies to sticks in the ground! From what I've read, the RL Beetle is native to Europe and Asia, and was first seen in the US in 2009 in Massachusetts. It is spreading throughout the northeast, decimating lilies along the way. It has no natural predators in the US; however, the University of RI is experimenting with a wasp that eats their larvae. The world, she is a changin'!

One more with the one we're after and we'll have two.
The brook trout is the prom queen of the trout world, and a promiscuous prom queen at that!

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #47 on: Jul 21, 2017, 02:12 PM »
An application of Malathion will do them in completely. I had them last year and checked early on as my asiatic lilies were emerging. saw one and treated just once. No problems since.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

fishnmachine

• Life Member NAFC
« Reply #48 on: Jul 21, 2017, 02:52 PM »
A good dose of Sevin last night, and none there at lunch time today.   ;D
The brook trout is the prom queen of the trout world, and a promiscuous prom queen at that!

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #49 on: Jul 21, 2017, 03:19 PM »
That'll do it too👍
Rg

zwiggles

« Reply #50 on: Jul 21, 2017, 03:45 PM »
Haven't we learned yet that combatting invasive with other invasive is a bad idea? Cane toads are a perfect example.

fishnmachine

• Life Member NAFC
« Reply #51 on: Jul 21, 2017, 04:14 PM »
Yeah, I hear you. Then, what eats the wasps?  ::)

zwiggles

« Reply #52 on: Jul 21, 2017, 04:34 PM »
Yeah, I hear you. Then, what eats the wasps?  ::)

Yup. It's a wonderful world we live in. I am of the opinion that given enough time nature would find a way to fix the issue. Problem is we are very impatient, and want instant results which in general lead to even more problems. Good job security if you work in the field though. Keep popping out your next project to fix your last.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #53 on: Jul 21, 2017, 04:42 PM »
We're humans. We alter our environment. It's what we do. There's good, bad and ugly consequences.

I am of the opinion that every action has an equal and opposite reaction. So....I tend to be conservative.

Rg

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #54 on: Jul 25, 2017, 02:42 PM »
One good thing about the cool temps and rain. No beetles today.

Rg

Spider1

« Reply #55 on: Jul 26, 2017, 05:16 AM »
ours have been thinning out recently, must be nearing the end of their breeding cycle. I hope they don't get a second wind or anything...

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #56 on: Jul 27, 2017, 07:14 AM »
They're still around. I kill a few every day. Now the deer have decided they like my morning glories and sunflowers. Sprayed that foul smelling deterrent last evening. I'm thinking a lot electrifying my fences.

Rg

Spider1

« Reply #57 on: Jul 27, 2017, 07:40 AM »
yeah, the Mrs says they are still out there. Not as many but still going. She says she still gets 20 or 30 a day. It's been cooler lately, might be why the numbers are down. As for the deer... yeah.... I know.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #58 on: Jul 27, 2017, 04:07 PM »
Bought a quart of Liquid Fence and a small pump up sprayer today. A fellow at work at I trust, said to give it a try. He suggested 2 applications a week apart and monthly beyond.

We'll see.

Rg

zwiggles

« Reply #59 on: Jul 27, 2017, 04:28 PM »
Anyone ever use human hair to deter deer? A guy I used to work with swore by it. He used to go to the local barber and get a trash bag of it, and spread it out and said it worked great.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.