FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Gill fishing 7/6  (Read 2067 times)

tater140

Gill fishing 7/6
« on: Jul 07, 2017, 09:13 AM »
I haven't posted any fishing trips for a while so here goes....I went out last night for some night fishing using ice fishing gear.  I waited until about 8:30 to hit the water since it was so hot yesterday afternoon.  Started out looking in deeper water (20' plus) with the fish finder but didnt' really find any big schools to target so I setup on a deep weed line and started fishing.  Before dark I had landed a handful of good ones so I knew it would prove to be a decent area.  Once I setup the underwater lights it took a bit to get the bite started then it proved to be a pretty steady bite.  The setup was  in about 15-16' of water just off the edge of the deep weeds.  Ended up catching somewhere around 30 gills.  lots of them were 9" -10".  Also had a few bonus crappie show up, and the occasional bullhead.  Overall a good night of fishing.  I didn't keep any last night, all were released but did manage a couple of quick pics. I did manage to spill saw dust from the bee moths, and worm bedding all over the front my boat, I'm pretty sure nobody with a nice boat would want to take me fishing.

Spooled85

Re: Gill fishing 7/6
« Reply #1 on: Jul 07, 2017, 10:18 AM »
Nice post ! And awesome pics ! I've always wanted to get the vex out on the boat and it never seems to be on the brain when I leave the house . One day ...

tater140

« Reply #2 on: Jul 09, 2017, 09:55 AM »
Went out again friday night and the water had cooler off 4 degrees from the day before.  We didnt find too many fish where i had caught them the night before so right before dark we made a move to a different spot and that paid off as we were on the fish right away.  We ended up with 30 gills and 2 crappie and they were still biting good at 12:30 when we left.  My buddy took the fish home and sent me a pic later and the gills still had eggs.  That surprised me because we were catching them in 22' feet of water.

abishop

« Reply #3 on: Jul 09, 2017, 10:06 AM »
Gills will spawn 2 or 3 times a season. Full moon does help the process. Yesterday was full moon, probably a contributing factor. Just my 2 cents. Good luck, keep getting them when you can...

tater140

« Reply #4 on: Jul 10, 2017, 06:28 AM »
I guess I didn't think about the full moon and the spawn... Which makes me wander how quickly they can develop their eggs.  It must be quite a bit quicker then crappies, it seems like I have seen crappies start to develop their eggs in the wintertime.  Are bluegills able to turn that around in a month?  I guess  I will have to do some reading... Now i'm curious.

Greg2ha

• Must fish for fun!
« Reply #5 on: Jul 10, 2017, 11:05 AM »
Nice ones!

Piggyn

« Reply #6 on: Jul 12, 2017, 09:11 PM »
I went bluegill fishing with a friend on Saturday, and we saw some guys catching (what I assume were spawning) fish up shallow.  We were whacking them by slow trolling out in deep water (20'+), so we never bothered to check closer in.  The previous Saturday we caught almost all females out deep, so maybe a lot of the males were up shallow on beds?  Some of the females had partially developed eggs.  The spinner bite has been great the past couple trips!
Catching the lunkers of tomorrow today!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.