FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Any recommendation for inland trout lakes  (Read 3540 times)

taxid

Any recommendation for inland trout lakes
« on: Aug 27, 2017, 06:13 PM »
for good size brown trout in Michigan?

No coldwater forage base down here in in Indiana with less and less lakes planted with trout. Zooplankton is about it for forage. Smelt have disappeared from one of my favorite lakes. Trout seem to be slow growing and skinny.

I have a lot of experience with trolling downriggers etc.

Or what river mouths are best for browns on lake Michigan?

Years ago got some large browns in the Manistee river mouth. Not interested in kings.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

taxid

Re: Any recommendation for inland trout lakes
« Reply #1 on: Aug 28, 2017, 05:17 AM »
Looks like Bear Lake has a history of good size browns and gets a large planting every year.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

boondox

« Reply #2 on: Aug 28, 2017, 08:35 AM »
That and check out crystal lake up by Frank fort michigan.. and sleeping beat sand dunes crystal from what I heard has smelt. But have not been up that way in a few years.. we would stay at intrlocen state park..  there was another two places to stay bolth primitive camping one sleeping bear sand dunes..  the other a small veterans park in between frank fort and intrlocen michigan I think was federal camping .. 

boondox

« Reply #3 on: Aug 28, 2017, 08:48 AM »
Also platte lk. Just north of crystal lk. Might hold smelt and trout.. the veterans camp ground I believe is in honor  michigan .. any how duck and green lakes are bass pike pan fish lakes also could try north of traverses city like Petoskey michigan.. etc

boondox

« Reply #4 on: Aug 28, 2017, 09:05 AM »
Also check in to tourch lk. In antrim, county and lake charlevoix  in Charlevoix county.. only lakes you will find trout is the deep lakes around here cause any thing less then 40 foot the water is to warm.. and any thing with less area warm up to quickly .. that why bigger deeper lakes further north are the ticket..

taxid

« Reply #5 on: Aug 28, 2017, 09:44 AM »
That and check out crystal lake up by Frank fort michigan.. and sleeping beat sand dunes crystal from what I heard has smelt. But have not been up that way in a few years.. we would stay at intrlocen state park..  there was another two places to stay bolth primitive camping one sleeping bear sand dunes..  the other a small veterans park in between frank fort and intrlocen michigan I think was federal camping .. 

According to the list of lakes planted with browns on the Michigan website Crystal hasn't been planted with browns for a long long time apparently.

I thought Duck and Green up there were possibilities but they are not listed as planted with browns either.

Unless I made an error somewhere in the search?

taxid

« Reply #6 on: Aug 28, 2017, 09:44 AM »
Also check in to tourch lk. In antrim, county and lake charlevoix  in Charlevoix county.. only lakes you will find trout is the deep lakes around here cause any thing less then 40 foot the water is to warm.. and any thing with less area warm up to quickly .. that why bigger deeper lakes further north are the ticket..

Torch is not listed as planted with browns.

taxid

« Reply #7 on: Aug 28, 2017, 09:46 AM »
BTW here's the link for the stocking records:

http://www.michigandnr.com/fishstock/

boondox

« Reply #8 on: Aug 28, 2017, 12:00 PM »
I have been looking at lake-link it said torch had brown trout did not say they were planted.. if you want browns I would go to the manistee river that river is chalked full of browns but you got to know how to fish it right now plenty of salmon in the section I am thinking of and lots of people fishing it.. that's mainlly were michigan planted millions of them a few years ago.. most lakes don't have browns in them at that water gets to warm for these fish.. if you want more info on the manistee river pm me  I usally fish below tippy dam.. if there going to get a run in any lake from the great lakes it would be closer to November or December ..  lake run browns come in then.. in thd manistee river you get quite a few resident browns just stay up river of manistee lake this time of year cause they close the lake cause of salmon and the weir on the little manistee there are a few put in spot there to if you need more knfo pm me ..

taxid

« Reply #9 on: Aug 28, 2017, 12:53 PM »
I have been looking at lake-link it said torch had brown trout did not say they were planted.. if you want browns I would go to the manistee river that river is chalked full of browns but you got to know how to fish it right now plenty of salmon in the section I am thinking of and lots of people fishing it.. that's mainlly were michigan planted millions of them a few years ago.. most lakes don't have browns in them at that water gets to warm for these fish.. if you want more info on the manistee river pm me  I usally fish below tippy dam.. if there going to get a run in any lake from the great lakes it would be closer to November or December ..  lake run browns come in then.. in thd manistee river you get quite a few resident browns just stay up river of manistee lake this time of year cause they close the lake cause of salmon and the weir on the little manistee there are a few put in spot there to if you need more knfo pm me ..

Thanks boondox. I've actually done some trolling years ago in the Big Manistee in the main river channel, out in the river mouth and in the lake itself. Got a nice brown one day in the river mouth. I see the new world record was caught in the Manistee.

If the browns come in later I may hold off and hit it then if there is nice weather. I don't like the salmon crowds and believe it or not I'd take a 10 pound hook jaw male brown over a 20 pound king any day. Kings have never done much for me although they are fun to catch.

boondox

« Reply #10 on: Aug 28, 2017, 01:56 PM »
Thanks boondox. I've actually done some trolling years ago in the Big Manistee in the main river channel, out in the river mouth and in the lake itself. Got a nice brown one day in the river mouth. i see the new world record was caught in the Manistee.

If the browns come in later I may hold off and hit it then if there is nice weather. I don't like the salmon crowds and believe it or not I'd take a 10 pound hook jaw male brown over a 20 pound king any day. Kings have never done much for me although they are fun to catch.

There here in the spring too..the lake runs prefer the water to be real cold before they run  some time you catch browns in January and February .. on lake huron side of state .. ya your right I prefer walleye now a days to that of fishing around the pot smoking snaging crowd .. that why I gave up fishing on the west side of state too much of those type their during salmon season..

if your looking for river browns you would be best going form  may first to august 15 area  cause lots less pressure on the fish..  cause you don't got steel head except scamainas steel.. which don't drawl that big of crowd like in the spring and fall runs do..if in to steel head winter steel head is aways the best time for me on rivers..

The reason I said platte is you got the river attached and you may find btowns in their.. same with the other lakes.. any how there's hundreds more I will see what I can find even grand and long lakes by Alpena and burt and mullet south of mackinaw.. like I said theres tons of big lakes I get the county map book out and see what I can find and compare to the link you gave..

also what about peremarquette lake that I think is fish able but pay attention to the laws cause some lakes that attach to rivers close to fishing cause of thr weirs that the dnr have on the rivers.. and cretin section do to .. there in the back of the dnr phamlet for fishing.. peremarquette lake has resident brown that pass threw the area .. from pm river  to lake in search for cooler water if trolling is what your into thats the lake for it.. 

just rember the salmon crowd will be there too.. form around  labor day to about November 15 salmon is the game then November on is steel and browns .. you know why I don't like fishing salmon and I am sure glad you dont lol's that crowd is the worst..

taxid

« Reply #11 on: Aug 28, 2017, 08:01 PM »
Trout in Grand and Long Lake near Alpena? Interesting as I graduated from college in Alpena and never thought of them as trout lakes. Mostly walleyes. But then that was years ago.

i know back in the day there were some monster browns that came up to the dam on Thunder Bay. Could see them down there but couldn't get them to bite to save my life. Sadly kids snagged them for the eggs back then and let the carcasses lay. Sold the eggs for money.  ::)

I have friends in Alpena.

boondox

« Reply #12 on: Aug 29, 2017, 06:16 AM »
Trout in Grand and Long Lake near Alpena? Interesting as I graduated from college in Alpena and never thought of them as trout lakes. Mostly walleyes. But then that was years ago.

i know back in the day there were some monster browns that came up to the dam on Thunder Bay. Could see them down there but couldn't get them to bite to save my life. Sadly kids snagged them for the eggs back then and let the carcasses lay. Sold the eggs for money.  ::)

I have friends in Alpena.

Same as burt and mullet lks. I consider waleye lakes..  but any connections to the great lakes they list them as prime trout water.. like the lake above foot d**n over east of grayling like in Oscoda mi .. those are trout waters too.. or even above tippy d**n there is the lake above to but I am not sure of the seasons ? For fishing it or any of those?? cause they go by county and etc..

taxid

« Reply #13 on: Sep 01, 2017, 09:46 AM »
Looking at Michigan's stocking records it appears the only place that gets significant brown trout stocking anymore except Bear Lake is Lake Michigan?

I wonder if the gradual extirpation of cisco in some of the inland lakes has anything to do with it? I can see where the DNR may think that brown trout are more likely to put the hurt on them vs. rainbows -- albeit water quality declining is the main culprit.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.