FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: St. Croix avid  (Read 1418 times)

mt.redneck

St. Croix avid
« on: Jul 13, 2017, 12:18 AM »
I'm looking into building either a 6'6 avid ultra light or light action. Anyone have any reviews for these 2 rods? Will mostly be used for panfish and trout. I know a lot of ultralight's will say they are a fast action but still end up having the backbone of a wet noodle which is what I'm trying to avoid. Thanks for any information guys
God bless and tight lines!

Jfraze10

Re: St. Croix avid
« Reply #1 on: Jul 22, 2017, 09:08 AM »
I have a handful of St. Croix rods and I will say the Avids are ("stiff") for their rating. I bought a MXF 6'3" rated 1/8-1/2oz for Detroit River and the thing a broom stick. I hate it even with 1 oz jigs its stiff as ****. I use my other 6' MXF rods and get a lot better "feel". If I were to go that route again I would go down a rod power for the application.

boondox

Re: St. Croix avid
« Reply #2 on: Jul 23, 2017, 01:49 PM »
Have you checked out the pac bay rain forest 2 rod blanks or any pack bay blanks??  I find batson blanks on the stiff side is why I say this.. they are less expensive for these then st Croix  rods I have a ton of crb rod blanks in the im6 blanks from mudhole 2 to 4 lb line that tend to be too soft when you set hook..  but if you get a chance check out these.. I think a 6 foot jig and spin is what your looking for extra fast but with a fast action tip in a light rod helps..  I even use my shimano sTeel head rods in a ultra light action for pans and trout.. the longer light action 9 foot help cast far when fishing bait and help set hook on those long casts..   if fishing stuff like teen cRawls and ultra light baits the shorter rod helps work these baits like poppers and side to side walking the dog etc etc.. any way this is really the only place that carries pac bay blanks any more they also got some ice rods that look to be intresting to if you like ice fishing..

https://secure.versitex.com/product.asp?subx=PBRF2SJ

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.