FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Fish Carcass Disposal  (Read 13044 times)

Rugburn

• Camp Dog
Fish Carcass Disposal
« on: Jul 13, 2017, 08:01 AM »
 So now that the heat of summer is upon us, what do you do with your carcasses? My wife wasn't happy with me when I chucked them into the ding weeds, because the dog would invariably sniff them out. So then I decided to bag them up and put them in the garbage. Today she discovered my spike farm! For some reason she has also banned me from the compost pile. I do have a tractor, but no backhoe on it. What do you do? 

filetandrelease

Re: Fish Carcass Disposal
« Reply #1 on: Jul 13, 2017, 08:13 AM »

I no longer have a dog so I chuck mine out in the woods , never a mess or smell the fox, coons and coyotes keep it cleaned up

VT Mountain Musky

« Reply #2 on: Jul 13, 2017, 08:28 AM »
compost pile is a great place for them...or just bury them a foot or two down right in the garden

jperch

« Reply #3 on: Jul 13, 2017, 09:01 AM »
I save half gallon milk and OJ cartons.  I line the inside with grocery store plastic bags.  After the cartons are filled with fish guts, tie the bag and the place the carton inside another clean plastic bag.  Then this goes in the deep freezer downstairs until garbage day.  This works well for panfish for the occasional larger fish I might have to do some "adjusting" of the carcass.    jperch

greensider

« Reply #4 on: Jul 13, 2017, 09:17 AM »
In front of my trail cam get some great pictures

BIGJim223

« Reply #5 on: Jul 13, 2017, 09:24 AM »
             "I do have a tractor, but no backhoe on it"

If you need a backhoe for fish guts, I need to start fishing with you!  ;D ;D ;D

Mac Attack

« Reply #6 on: Jul 13, 2017, 09:29 AM »
In front of my trail cam get some great pictures

Awesome!!!

We have a dumpster out at the lake we are allowed to use (and encouraged to use to keep the rodents and raccoons away).

When I move to FL in a few years it will all become bait for the crab traps.
 ;D

Rugburn

• Camp Dog
« Reply #7 on: Jul 13, 2017, 09:35 AM »
            "I do have a tractor, but no backhoe on it"

If you need a backhoe for fish guts, I need to start fishing with you!  ;D ;D ;D

Our terrier is a digging machine, she can easily go a foot down in fresh tilled dirt! Great suggestions guys! We have been on the fish!

lowaccord66

« Reply #8 on: Jul 13, 2017, 10:35 AM »
I have a sizeable stream accross the street from me I slide racks down.  Ive wondered if and when my few downstream neighbors will see a 40lb striper rack or big king rack slide past...or 50 perch racks!  The crawfish love me.

FrankM

« Reply #9 on: Jul 13, 2017, 11:29 AM »
Freeze them in a garbage bag. Take them out to the street on garbage day.  Garbage truck typically comes within 1 hour after I take the stuff out so they don't have a chance to thaw out and attract varmints.
Kool Aid Kool Aid, Tastes Great, Wish we had some, can't wait.

mudchuck

« Reply #10 on: Jul 13, 2017, 11:33 AM »
I have a small horse/duck pond next to the house that has snapping turtles and crayfish which both love those carcass tosses I do.

Racer268

« Reply #11 on: Jul 13, 2017, 11:50 AM »
Freeze and put out with garbage. 

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #12 on: Jul 13, 2017, 12:31 PM »
I have a sizeable stream accross the street from me I slide racks down.  Ive wondered if and when my few downstream neighbors will see a 40lb striper rack or big king rack slide past...or 50 perch racks!  The crawfish love me.

Don't do that in NY.  It's pretty ileagl...... :nono:
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

Rugburn

• Camp Dog
« Reply #13 on: Jul 13, 2017, 12:43 PM »
 The freeze idea seems like the way to go for me. Usually I'm pretty beat by the time I get home, clean fish, pack boat away, etc. Always striving to keep peace at the homestead!

UglyStik

« Reply #14 on: Jul 13, 2017, 05:36 PM »
A couple times when I buried them it drew skunks, never saw any skunks till I did that.

Gave up on that, I now double bag them and put a little amonia in before tying the last bag up.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.