FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Fish Carcass Disposal  (Read 13050 times)

NYDeerslayer

Re: Fish Carcass Disposal
« Reply #30 on: Jul 15, 2017, 10:03 PM »
It's also away to spread pathogens from fish carcasses to live fish that have not been exposed to those pathogens.
. Yup, that too!  It also will piss off people who live or have a camp on the water to have to deal with someone else's half rotted fish racks washing up on their property. Best thing to do if you aren't using them for fertilizer or something is feed them to the critters.  If you live where that's an option anyways.

trapper2000

• live the dream...........wear it!!!
« Reply #31 on: Jul 16, 2017, 07:31 AM »
the  original reason they passed the law in new York was because  salmon fisherman  where slabbing the kings in the river and leaving the carcuss then  eggers  where stripping the fish and leaving the fish ...it is not illegal to  despose of  fish remains in  the water!  you only need to be 100 yards from shore or own your own property ...this way the  river doesn't make you want to gag
you can destroy buildings  you can't  destroy the  american spirit

NYDeerslayer

« Reply #32 on: Jul 16, 2017, 09:01 AM »
Ok trapper, go ahead and do it and let us know how that works for you. LOL, I got my info from being a commercial fisherman and talking with DEC biologists. Someone always has to argue, just for the sake of arguing.

NYDeerslayer

« Reply #33 on: Jul 16, 2017, 09:20 AM »
https://www.epa.gov/ocean-dumping/ocean-disposal-fish-wastes.   Here is a good explanation of the inner coastal law i referred to, i see how it is written in the nys freshwater regs but in talking to DEC, they told me it's not legal and for obvious reasons not a good idea with respect to keeping a healthy ecosystem. Enough fish that die off naturally are in there already and nature takes care of it, but throw in all the fisherman dumping all their racks in and it creates problems, depleted oxygen and disease.

trapper2000

« Reply #34 on: Jul 16, 2017, 10:59 AM »
Ok trapper, go ahead and do it and let us know how that works for you. LOL, I got my info from being a commercial fisherman and talking with DEC biologists. Someone always has to argue, just for the sake of arguing.

It is illegal to discard any fish carcass, or parts thereof, into the freshwaters of the state within 100 feet of shore or upon any public or private lands contiguous to and within 100 feet of such water, except:

On private lands by owners of such lands.
    If properly disposing into suitable garbage or refuse collection systems or by burial.
    Where incidental cleaning of fish for consumption is permitted. However, resulting waste may not be disposed of within 100 feet of any public launching or docking site unless into a suitable refuse collection system.

right there is the law deerslayer ....and I do I clean fish 100 feet from shore and send the remains   to the bottom a lot .........never got a ticket and yup I been checked....

oneida1

« Reply #35 on: Jul 16, 2017, 12:25 PM »
got to agree with trapper 100' off shore is fine this comes up every year on ice shanty people saying how guts get dumped on the ice... and i dont get it gulls foxes yotes clean them up fast, and in the summer the cat fish and bullhead  eat well off the end of my dock....

NYDeerslayer

« Reply #36 on: Jul 16, 2017, 03:06 PM »
It is illegal to discard any fish carcass, or parts thereof, into the freshwaters of the state within 100 feet of shore or upon any public or private lands contiguous to and within 100 feet of such water, except:

On private lands by owners of such lands.
    If properly disposing into suitable garbage or refuse collection systems or by burial.
    Where incidental cleaning of fish for consumption is permitted. However, resulting waste may not be disposed of within 100 feet of any public launching or docking site unless into a suitable refuse collection system.

right there is the law deerslayer ....and I do I clean fish 100 feet from shore and send the remains   to the bottom a lot .........never got a ticket and yup I been checked....
I already said I read the reg for freshwater on NY, and explained why it is not a great plan with respect to keeping a healthy ecosystem. Sorry but science is science. Do it how ever the hell you wish trapper I have better things to do then argue with you. I thought this was a discussion board but always ends up an argument for the sake of argument by people like you with nothing better to do but argue.

oneida1

« Reply #37 on: Jul 16, 2017, 04:50 PM »
Hmmmmmm I think it takes two for there to be an arguement....

icejohn

• God, Family.......Fishing.
« Reply #38 on: Jul 16, 2017, 07:55 PM »
How can there be an argument when the facts are stated....we're all talking freshwater and the science is that according to nydec scientists it's ok and legal....so what's the argument?
You guys should listen more to trap.
Icejohn
take a kid hunting and fishing, it's a lot better than leaving them on the streets!!

trapper2000

« Reply #39 on: Jul 16, 2017, 09:19 PM »
let me  EXPLAIN ...first the  biologist  at the dec  said  that disposing of  the  remains  100 feet from shore will not damage  anything  second  if  you  do not catch the fish or  if you c and r  the fish will die and  decompose in the water  so  whats the difference 

3RD AND MOST IMPIRTANTLY I  will voice my opinion  and  threatening me  in the form of a  e mail  is  rather  stupid  over  aomething that's  LEGAL!!!!

NYDeerslayer
« Sent to: trapper2000  on: Today at 03:16 PM »
 Reply with quote | Reply | Remove this message   

We had our run in on iceshanty, then here, and YOU said you'd rather we just didn't communicate at all on the board, since we don't get along and don't particularly care for one another. I respected that and have been quiet around any of your posts. You have a short memory Trapper, and are not keeping your own on your own agreement.    So if this is how you want it I can be an not a very nice person too.

I suggest you grow up I have no time  for  childish foolishness

oneida1

« Reply #40 on: Jul 16, 2017, 09:31 PM »
round 1 over... this will be a ten round argument and then we will all judge the winner lol sorry cant help myself... ive seen trap stir the pot before but i agree with him on this one

trapper2000

« Reply #41 on: Jul 16, 2017, 09:39 PM »
oneida1 naaaaaaaa I rather fish

FrankM

« Reply #42 on: Jul 17, 2017, 01:07 PM »
The ultimate fish carcass disposal solution:
Bass-O-Matic
Turn every fish into a delicious bass beverage.
Kool Aid Kool Aid, Tastes Great, Wish we had some, can't wait.

jboggey

• Too Old To Be Good
« Reply #43 on: Jul 19, 2017, 05:55 AM »
I save half gallon milk and OJ cartons.  I line the inside with grocery store plastic bags.  After the cartons are filled with fish guts, tie the bag and the place the carton inside another clean plastic bag.  Then this goes in the deep freezer downstairs until garbage day.  This works well for panfish for the occasional larger fish I might have to do some "adjusting" of the carcass.    jperch

Yo Pat,

That's a great idea if your freezer isn't already full of perch and venison. I have already purchased another chest freezer and it too is full of fresh meat. Thanks to buds like you who are generous to drop me off some venison once in a while. Actually, the disposal is a problem at my house because I do fish 2 and 3 times a week. Always some fresh fish guts to dispose of. Burying them in the garden proved to be faulty thinking. The dog discovers them and digs them back up and rolls in them, bringing the odiferous scent back into the house with her. Short of shooting the dog (just kidding) bury and cultivate into the garden has proved a non starter. A pail of fish guts . if bagged and kept in the pail over night is not too bad. If they sit more than 24 hours, Sweeta-Rita complains loudly. So, I have one of those Oswego County  Landfill stickers and make very frequent trips to Bristol Hill land fill.

I do however have about one cubic foot of space in the new chest freezer reserved for some of that red meat. Not begging here mind you, just saying........

trapper2000

« Reply #44 on: Jul 19, 2017, 06:43 AM »
boggey  we shoulda  picked  up that deer  the  day we went ice fishing !!!!!  lol  next time we  will  ;D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.