FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Question ?  (Read 4082 times)

bigr

Question ?
« on: Jul 15, 2017, 07:32 AM »
Where can I find results of fish surveys done on Indiana lakes, past and recent. Thanks.

taxid

Re: Question ?
« Reply #1 on: Jul 15, 2017, 11:32 AM »
Where can I find results of fish surveys done on Indiana lakes, past and recent. Thanks.

Contact one of the district headquarters biologists and ask for them. They should have them on file and can send you copies. At least that's the way it used to be. Not sure if the tight wad bean counters of the state have made changes to that as in limiting the mailing of information to save money. It's possible the info could be emailed too.

Here's a link to the district headquarters and their contact info:

http://www.in.gov/dnr/fishwild/3590.htm

“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Piggyn

« Reply #2 on: Jul 16, 2017, 12:05 PM »
too bad they couldnt streamline this and just put them on line with link on their site.  save a lot of pr time.

Indiana used to do that.  Michigan has a really nice directory... not sure why we don't any more.
Catching the lunkers of tomorrow today!

taxid

« Reply #3 on: Jul 16, 2017, 10:08 PM »
Indiana used to do that.  Michigan has a really nice directory... not sure why we don't any more.

Somebody in Indy probably decided it cost too much. I know other states do it too.

But then again I guess we should be glad Indiana isn't bankrupt like Illinois.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

bigr

« Reply #4 on: Jul 17, 2017, 04:09 AM »
Thanks guys.

tater140

« Reply #5 on: Jul 17, 2017, 10:11 AM »
I have a friend of mine that has a proposal into the dnr to do this exact thing.  I don't know where it stands, but it would take all of the fish survey's done and organize them into one single database, maybe even have an app version.  He said they have all of the information, but none of it is uniform from district to district.  I could maybe find out more info on where that stands at the moment or if it's dead in the water.

taxid

« Reply #6 on: Jul 17, 2017, 11:09 AM »
I have a friend of mine that has a proposal into the dnr to do this exact thing.  I don't know where it stands, but it would take all of the fish survey's done and organize them into one single database, maybe even have an app version.  He said they have all of the information, but none of it is uniform from district to district.  I could maybe find out more info on where that stands at the moment or if it's dead in the water.

I actually don't think the database itself would be that expensive but it would probably take some time to copy and upload it all. Sounds like a job for fishery biologist aides.  ;D

Hey I got to mend gill nets in my down time as a biologist aid! Yee Haw!  ::)

Boomer

« Reply #7 on: Jul 17, 2017, 03:05 PM »

Hey I got to mend gill nets in my down time as a biologist aid! Yee Haw!  ::)

I made scale slides as well.  Also counted walleye - by looking at microscopic fish all day.

taxid

« Reply #8 on: Jul 17, 2017, 03:37 PM »
I made scale slides as well.  Also counted walleye - by looking at microscopic fish all day.

I don't think we got to do either one of those.

Boomer

« Reply #9 on: Jul 17, 2017, 09:29 PM »
I don't think we got to do either on of those.
  Got lucky with Avoca State Fish Hatchery being the location of the Southern Region Fishery Research Biologist.  I worked with the District Biologist but the researcher and his aide were doing research on walleye at Brookville Reservoir.  Hard work but honest work.

taxid

« Reply #10 on: Jul 17, 2017, 10:29 PM »
 Got lucky with Avoca State Fish Hatchery being the location of the Southern Region Fishery Research Biologist.  I worked with the District Biologist but the researcher and his aide were doing research on walleye at Brookville Reservoir.  Hard work but honest work.

Tell me about the pond there where they keep the brood stock trout for the inland trout program. Was it spring fed or a well? What were the physical characteristics?

We took a drive to Brookville to pick up a picture of a 9 lb. largemouth that was caught there but never did a survey on it.

I was staying at the Cikana State Fish Hatchery.

Who was the biologist you were under? Mine's name was Tom Flatt. Craig Kunderman of New Jersey was other biologist aid.

Piggyn

« Reply #11 on: Jul 18, 2017, 05:27 PM »
Somebody in Indy probably decided it cost too much.

In 2017 hosting a few extra PDF's on their website can't cost much extra.
Catching the lunkers of tomorrow today!

Boomer

« Reply #12 on: Jul 19, 2017, 04:04 PM »
Tell me about the pond there where they keep the brood stock trout for the inland trout program. Was it spring fed or a well? What were the physical characteristics?

I was staying at the Cikana State Fish Hatchery.

Who was the biologist you were under? Mine's name was Tom Flatt. Craig Kunderman of New Jersey was other biologist aid.

Tom Flatt was the Southern Region Supervisor. Actually did some work on his office while I was there. My Biologist was named Jerry ????????.  I did help take a pond down at Cikana. I was told NEvER to step off the boards.

We did not raise any trout while I was there but the water feed came from a cave that had a dam located just outside the entrance. That water was cold. Kept a very large horse trough near the back entrance. Used to put some fish and crawdads in it until I had enough to eat.

taxid

« Reply #13 on: Jul 19, 2017, 05:07 PM »
Tom Flatt was the Southern Region Supervisor. Actually did some work on his office while I was there. My Biologist was named Jerry ????????.  I did help take a pond down at Cikana. I was told NEvER to step off the boards.

We did not raise any trout while I was there but the water feed came from a cave that had a dam located just outside the entrance. That water was cold. Kept a very large horse trough near the back entrance. Used to put some fish and crawdads in it until I had enough to eat.

You must have been down there after they shut down the brood stock holding pond for the trout? I think the trout were having stress issues and some disease but not sure? (Just going by what I heard).  

And it's more efficient to order the eggs from Trout Lodge, although I'm not convinced a line of triploid rainbows selectively bred for raceway culture for the table are the best choice for our inland lakes. There's some evidence that triploid trout having larger cells also have larger and fewer red blood cells, which makes them less hardy in marginal oxygen conditions of late summer. Could be the reason for the poor returns on Clear Lake. Or perhaps not. It would be interesting to plant diploid browns and see how they fare in Clear. Even tiger trout could be an option as they are supposed to be able to handle even warmer water than browns.

Tom Flatt was impressive as a biologist but the spit shine boots, starched clothes and military bearing got old. He was in the Army National Guard IIRR. I had enough of that as a military dependent with only crew cuts allowed and a master sgt. for a dad.  LOL  And his constant reminder that the only reason I got the job as a biologist aid was because I did a good job for another biologist as a creel clerk got old too. He considered my associate degree inferior although I have to say after transferring to a university I was more impressed with my AAS degree. The flag university I transferred to was nothing but a diploma mill with lots of shortcomings. I honestly don't think you get a real education at American universities until you hit grad school.

tsdpurdue

« Reply #14 on: Jul 21, 2017, 09:51 AM »
The DNR is working on getting the survey results online.  (See link below for an example of a report).   

http://www.in.gov/dnr/fishwild/files/fw-BigLake_NobleCty_LMB_2016.pdf

They can be found on the "Where to Fish in Indiana" on the DNR website https://indnr.maps.arcgis.com/apps/webappviewer/index.html?id=79b2d75076774c248adcd918f699753e

Also like it was mentioned earlier. If you can not find what you are looking for online contact your District Fisheries Biologist.

Also new contour maps are being created every year.  You can view and print them off here:

http://www.in.gov/dnr/fishwild/5759.htm

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.