FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Portable downrigger  (Read 15380 times)

zwiggles

Re: Portable downrigger
« Reply #75 on: Jul 28, 2017, 09:10 AM »
Also make sure you have it lined up correctly once you get the line on. Sometime my chamberlain releases will spin around the cable as the boat is bouncing around when I'm setting up the line.

Also make sure you have some tension on the line/rod when sending th downrigger down. If the line is slack when your sending it down it can spin around on you as you have described. Attack is right in that it will also happen if you stop.

Seahunt

• Coffin Dodger @ IS
« Reply #76 on: Jul 28, 2017, 10:29 AM »
Downriggers are for trolling, typically.
Why are you stopping?

I'm sure that this is why you are having problems.

A release goes off and you are fighting the fish, keep the boat moving.
You can slow down a little if you feel that you need to, but don't stop.
Also make sure you have it lined up correctly once you get the line on. Sometime my chamberlain releases will spin around the cable as the boat is bouncing around when I'm setting up the line.

Also make sure you have some tension on the line/rod when sending th downrigger down. If the line is slack when your sending it down it can spin around on you as you have described. Attack is right in that it will also happen if you stop.
Yes!
Once your line is in the Chamberlain release  (I like 6 twists), thumb your spool with line taught to the release. Point the rod tip out beyond the rigger and ensure the line's not wrapped around your cable. While deploying your rigger, continue to thumb your (free) spool or have adequate drag tension to keep your line taught, but not too much to allow the line to break.

Tip: if your lure's hung up in the cable or release, don't snap it. Bring your release up to where you can find out what's wrong. It's a lure saver.
If your line gets wrapped around the cable, change out your leader or at least inspect it carefully. Mono does not get along well with braided wire.   

porkpiehat

« Reply #77 on: Jul 28, 2017, 01:14 PM »
I don't remember why I needed to stop but I probably did it at least once. I'm going to try clipping a release directly to the ball...that way I have some distance from  the cable. I'll post tomorrow with a new conundrum haha.

boondox

« Reply #78 on: Jul 28, 2017, 02:08 PM »
I wonder if it happens if/when the boat stops.

I know for a fact it did !stopping the boat caused the mess try to keep boat in gear while fighting the fish.. fight the the fish right up the boats prop wash..  as soon as you stop boat those floating rapala and etc float up.. the sinking lures like Sutton spoons fall..  if you got a lot of guys in boat like 5 or 6 guys with 3 rods each like in my state we get a big messes cause of it..

MikeF-NH

« Reply #79 on: Jul 29, 2017, 06:27 AM »
Yes!
Once your line is in the Chamberlain release  (I like 6 twists), thumb your spool with line taught to the release. Point the rod tip out beyond the rigger and ensure the line's not wrapped around your cable. While deploying your rigger, continue to thumb your (free) spool or have adequate drag tension to keep your line taught, but not too much to allow the line to break.

Tip: if your lure's hung up in the cable or release, don't snap it. Bring your release up to where you can find out what's wrong. It's a lure saver.
If your line gets wrapped around the cable, change out your leader or at least inspect it carefully. Mono does not get along well with braided wire.   

I do 100% exact as Seahunt describes except I don't thumb the spool. I turn the clicker on which provides perfect resistence. I can then drop the rigger ball as fast as I like with the spool open. When I reach depth...I put the reel in gear and tighten down then turn the clicker off. I put my Chamberlain between the ball and cable terminator on one DR and between (above) a 3 foot vertical attractor and the ball on the other (3 foot above the ball). Never had a problem with the cable (never take the boat out of gear unless your DR ball gets hung on bottom).

porkpiehat

« Reply #80 on: Aug 11, 2017, 08:13 PM »
How do you guys get a temp reading at depths? I want to be able to put my lure at 54 degrees but the thermometer I bought adjusts too quickly as I reel it back in. I refuse to spend hundreds on of that hawk thing that relays temps remotely. I'm going to try getting creative with my dive computer.

boondox

« Reply #81 on: Aug 11, 2017, 08:38 PM »
How do you guys get a temp reading at depths? I want to be able to put my lure at 54 degrees but the thermometer I bought adjusts too quickly as I reel it back in. I refuse to spend hundreds on of that hawk thing that relays temps remotely. I'm going to try getting creative with my dive computer.

Fish hawk temp at depth probe..

http://www.fishhawkelectronics.com/marine-electronics/fish-hawk-x4

See if you can find a cheap one..

porkpiehat

« Reply #82 on: Sep 05, 2017, 10:57 PM »
spent most of the weekend with the downrigger. This time I had a buddy on the boat making life a lot easier. Looking at a second, electric model, but not until some kinks are worked out

Three most common problems:

-chamberlain release would free itself and end up close to surface when I reeled up the slack
-occasional snag around the cable/keeping the release aft of the cable
-catching no fish (actually one wee laker).

bait includes a glow in the dark spoon with an eye (Northeast trollers I think)?, live shiners on a harness., preserved smelt behind a dodger, maybe a copper sutton or wobbler...not sure? I've been using garlic sented "lunker lotion" on nearly everything

braided line with swivel and about 12 feet flouro. Total of 20-30 feet behind the ball, 3 ft up the cable.

Stopped using the vertical blue/silver attractors didn't seem to make any difference.

Next step is replacing the chamberlain release with a new one and maybe using an elastic around the line and the elastic in the chamberlain to keep it away from the cable and provide some action. Will this work with braid?

boondox

« Reply #83 on: Sep 06, 2017, 01:21 AM »
Video on rubber bands
Might need a custom rigger clip.

https://youtu.be/1WVovnXLLm4

How to attach to rigger cable

https://youtu.be/txdAmMeUl_w

Line to rubber band

https://youtu.be/kzHlQzFGKZE

See above videos I am sure if you make the knot that's in thd video with rubber band and braid it should work..

boondox

« Reply #84 on: Sep 06, 2017, 01:26 AM »

This is the video iam talking about

https://youtu.be/kzHlQzFGKZE

See above video I am sure if you make the knot that's in thd video with rubber band and braid it should work..

zwiggles

« Reply #85 on: Sep 06, 2017, 10:56 AM »
I have never had to or wanted to use rubber bands with the chamberlain releases. I also cannot figure out how your release is floating up to the surface. If it's a cnemberlain stacker you should be able to "lock" the release to the DR cable by using the white tab on the side of the release, and sliding the release itself up. I would imagine your line getting wrapped around the cable is due to the reasons mentioned above, or because your release is not locked into the cable.

I have never used live/dead bait with much success this late in the season, and run hardware exclusively on the DR's this time of year. I also use a vertical or horizontal flasher 100% of the time this late in the year. If your using a flasher your lure should be very close to it, and not set way back from the attractor. It sounds like you only used two or three lures/spoons on your trip? If so I would add some more variety in different sizes, and colors. If I'm not catching fish on winni I will change my lures every 30 minutes or so until I find something they like. AJs in Meredith has every lure you could ever want, and he knows what's working on the lake.

porkpiehat

« Reply #86 on: Sep 06, 2017, 01:15 PM »
I have never had to or wanted to use rubber bands with the chamberlain releases. I also cannot figure out how your release is floating up to the surface. If it's a cnemberlain stacker you should be able to "lock" the release to the DR cable by using the white tab on the side of the release, and sliding the release itself up. I would imagine your line getting wrapped around the cable is due to the reasons mentioned above, or because your release is not locked into the cable.

I have never used live/dead bait with much success this late in the season, and run hardware exclusively on the DR's this time of year. I also use a vertical or horizontal flasher 100% of the time this late in the year. If your using a flasher your lure should be very close to it, and not set way back from the attractor. It sounds like you only used two or three lures/spoons on your trip? If so I would add some more variety in different sizes, and colors. If I'm not catching fish on winni I will change my lures every 30 minutes or so until I find something they like. AJs in Meredith has every lure you could ever want, and he knows what's working on the lake.

I'm due for a trip to AJ's.

lowaccord66

« Reply #87 on: Sep 20, 2017, 06:53 PM »
Downriggers are for trolling, typically.
Why are you stopping?

I'm sure that this is why you are having problems.

A release goes off and you are fighting the fish, keep the boat moving.
You can slow down a little if you feel that you need to, but don't stop.

We had to stop once...but it was because the king was going to spool me! 

Mac's right...best thing is you dont stop, your fighting the fish and another rod gets smoked.  If your running flutter spoons and you slow to fight a fish you may get smoked as well!

brownbagger247

« Reply #88 on: Sep 21, 2017, 05:38 AM »
I've got 2 cannon easy troll downriggers with line counter on them.. No ball, release clips, or base plate mounts. If anyone is interested I'd let them go cheap. I have the same ones on my boat and they do the job.

porkpiehat

« Reply #89 on: Sep 27, 2017, 03:43 PM »
for anyone interested I found that pointing your rod back towards the stern can help prevent line wrapping around the cable/release when using chamberlains. Frequently the release will want to point opposite of the cannonball, causing the line to wrap around while I was preparing to drop the ball. When I put the rod in the back holder the line pulled it in the right direction.

Probably a no-brainer for some but I only figured it out when I started stacking multiple lines and needed to find proper rod placement.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.