FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Good gar day in the kayak!  (Read 3087 times)

Joel Spring

Good gar day in the kayak!
« on: Jul 19, 2017, 10:48 AM »
Oak Orchard Creek in Waterport on 7-18-17.   Had my best gar afternoon ever -- fifteen landed in the kayak and many more missed.   Rope flies and calm conditions did the trick.   First image is my personal best, 40+ incher that towed the kayak in circles and ate up drag.   A few other photos too.

LP Steve

Re: Good gar day in the kayak!
« Reply #1 on: Jul 19, 2017, 11:34 AM »
Wow great pictures. Thank you very much. I have never seen someone target those. I see lots of them at the oak. They look amazing.

PIKE FISHERMAN

• Precision Angling on Youtube. Maine based fishing.
« Reply #2 on: Jul 19, 2017, 11:49 AM »
Very nice. Always wanted to catch one of those.
Precision Angling on Youtube. Maine based bass, pike, fly fishing, brook fishing, trolling and ice fishing. Hope to see you on the water somewhere!!

bart

• Gone fish'n, not wish'n
« Reply #3 on: Jul 19, 2017, 01:57 PM »
Awesome! Hoping to connect on one some day...
KEEP AMERICA GREAT!  God Bless America!
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau

MattyP123

« Reply #4 on: Jul 19, 2017, 03:56 PM »
Very cool! and to think I have trouble just handling pickerel in a yak  :w00t:.

oatkasut

« Reply #5 on: Jul 19, 2017, 05:00 PM »
I went all the way to So. Carolina  to get one of those!Who knew?Great job!

Joel Spring

« Reply #6 on: Jul 20, 2017, 08:59 AM »
Thanks guys, they are a lot of fun -- but very slimy and hard to hang onto.    Definitely a challenge in the kayak.   But it's some of the only sight-fishing to be had in NY and it is exciting to see the fish follow and strike.    It's a very active kind of fishing in that way.    Once you find the gar, you usually find a lot of them basking or feeding together.   Calm, sunny days are the way to go.    The other hard part is after years and years of setting the hook on fish, you can't do that with rope flies.    You have to wait till they mouth it a little bit so their teeth get tangled.    I can't tell you how many times I've reflexively set the hook after watching a 30-40 inch fish bite the lure, and yanked it right out of their mouth.   I'm getting better at it, but it takes practice!    If you do try it, remember you have to pick all the rope out of their teeth after landing them.   It's a pain sometimes (sometimes it's pretty easy) but it needs to be done so their mouths don't get stuck closed and they starve to death.   All in all, they are very cool fish.

Joel Spring

« Reply #7 on: Jul 20, 2017, 09:04 AM »
some underwater and boatside shots from the same day.    And one blooper of a fish flying out of my hands.   Thank you go-pro.   

CHEZ2

« Reply #8 on: Jul 24, 2017, 05:56 AM »
Great trip brother!!!!!
Awesome pics!!!!!
Twice as fun in a Yak.
Thanks for SHARING.

oleanjeff

« Reply #9 on: Jul 24, 2017, 02:19 PM »
Awesome! I got a 45 out of Chautauqua through the ice last winter! First one and it was awesome on 3 lb line

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #10 on: Jul 25, 2017, 04:11 PM »
Your Gar fishing abilities are great.  But your self photography landinging those things in a  kayak  is ewesome...  :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

Joel Spring

« Reply #11 on: Jul 25, 2017, 06:27 PM »
Your Gar fishing abilities are great.  But your self photography landinging those things in a  kayak  is ewesome...  :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

Hahaha, thank you.   Sometimes it works -- sometimes it doesn't:   

MattyP123

« Reply #12 on: Jul 25, 2017, 07:26 PM »
Who knew gar could fly  :w00t:. Stupid question --> So those rope flies don't have a hook right? It's just rope strands tangled in teeth that wrangle these guys in?

Joel Spring

« Reply #13 on: Jul 26, 2017, 08:41 AM »
Who knew gar could fly  :w00t:. Stupid question --> So those rope flies don't have a hook right? It's just rope strands tangled in teeth that wrangle these guys in?

100% Correct.    Here's a closeup of a small one pretty well tangled.   

buffaloice

« Reply #14 on: Aug 24, 2017, 07:31 PM »
Hey Joel awesome pics! Do you mind if i ask what kind of camera and mount youre using? I fish from a kayak and am looking for a solution to bad camera shots

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.