FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Any Fellow Surfcasters?  (Read 5304 times)

lowaccord66

Any Fellow Surfcasters?
« on: Jul 27, 2017, 09:44 AM »
Its not spoken about much here but I am a surf addict for stripers.  Anyone else?

stripernut

Re: Any Fellow Surfcasters?
« Reply #1 on: Jul 27, 2017, 09:57 AM »
Only when I don't have a boat available... In the past, I have done a great deal... After wading out on Joppa flats one-morning catching stripers and having to wade back in because of the tide, I thought to myself, I could be fishing here out of my canoe... Next trip down was with the canoe and (at that time) I caught more stripers and bigger stripers than I ever had from shore... I also go a little crazy when I am stuck on the shore watching busting fish... I own a few surf casting rods but only pull them out when I don't have a choice. My point is I like surf fishing, but like boat fishing more... Even if boat fish don't count!

gundogwanted

« Reply #2 on: Jul 27, 2017, 10:19 AM »
A few times a year, not really seriously.  Island Beach State Park. Only about a two hour drive, take the wife and beach tent and just enjoy the day.
Equal Billing: Crankbait degrees; Typically, the narrower the bill, the tighter the wiggle; the wider the bill, the wider the wobble.

Jschumacher

• Fish often. It's a way of life. Life Member NAFC.
« Reply #3 on: Jul 27, 2017, 11:37 AM »
Its not spoken about much here but I am a surf addict for stripers.  Anyone else?
Hmmmmmm. I just might possibly be an addict ;D ;D ;D
I fish every chance I get and enjoy every time I fish. They call it fishing not catchin

Member of The GODS

lowaccord66

« Reply #4 on: Jul 27, 2017, 12:03 PM »
Ive been doing more boat fishing myself Allan.  Im at work day dreaming about the bass I am going to habe a shot at tomorrow and saturday night.  Its the right time to get a 50.

Ive been up and down the coast from ft popham in Maine to Montauk.  Never made it to ISBP but its on the list (decent sharls can be caught from shore there now)  I was strictly a surf guy until I figured out the canal...now I spend a majority of my time there.

gundogwanted

« Reply #5 on: Jul 27, 2017, 01:14 PM »
Ive been doing more boat fishing myself Allan.  Im at work day dreaming about the bass I am going to habe a shot at tomorrow and saturday night.  Its the right time to get a 50.

Ive been up and down the coast from ft popham in Maine to Montauk.  Never made it to ISBP but its on the list (decent sharls can be caught from shore there now)  I was strictly a surf guy until I figured out the canal...now I spend a majority of my time there.

I've been to Maine many times, mostly for a weekend trip. Hard to find a good sandy shore to fish from, mostly rocks and cliffs where I go to. Usually take a trip in the very early summer and in the fall every year.
Equal Billing: Crankbait degrees; Typically, the narrower the bill, the tighter the wiggle; the wider the bill, the wider the wobble.

lowaccord66

« Reply #6 on: Jul 27, 2017, 02:49 PM »
Its been a few years since I have been but I liked the coast up there...spefically the rocks.  I have always been a fan of fishing rocky shorline for them.

Jschumacher

• Fish often. It's a way of life. Life Member NAFC.
« Reply #7 on: Jul 27, 2017, 02:53 PM »
I have caught plenty of stripers from a boat, the beaches, a rocky shore, off break waters. For me there is no comparison as to the feel of a big striper on your line in the canal.
I fish every chance I get and enjoy every time I fish. They call it fishing not catchin

Member of The GODS

greenhornet73

« Reply #8 on: Jul 27, 2017, 06:06 PM »
Definitely an addict here.  I take my family on vacation every year in September to the best hot spots in New England.  Started in Montauk then various other Long Island locations, Rhode Island, Connecticut and Cape Cod.  Stripers and blues are a blast but when I got into some false albacore tuna I found another new addiction.

lowaccord66

« Reply #9 on: Jul 28, 2017, 07:50 AM »
I chase the albies too but do that more in the boat.  I like the vineyard in late Sept, early October for them.

Mac Attack

« Reply #10 on: Jul 28, 2017, 08:30 AM »
Trips to FL or MB, SC I will always take 2 surf casting SW rods and reels.
But this only happens every 2-3 years.
Heading to MB for xmas week with the wife this year.
I will take my rods for sure.

lowaccord66

« Reply #11 on: Jul 28, 2017, 09:04 AM »
Nice Mac!  Im almost ready for the canal tonight!  Work is dragging!

Mac Attack

« Reply #12 on: Jul 28, 2017, 09:36 AM »
Nice Mac!  Im almost ready for the canal tonight!  Work is dragging!

same here.
I didn't sleep 3 hrs last night.
Up again at 5am
I'm struggling.
We have a small private walleye derby slated for tomorrow.
Winds and waves don't look favorable for my small Lund.
I'm hoping it gets moved to Sunday.
Would allow me to catch up on my sleep a little too.

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz................... ................

:sleep1:

lowaccord66

« Reply #13 on: Jul 28, 2017, 10:45 AM »
I am like that too Mac.  Always have been.  Ill get to the canal around 9 and fish until before sunrise when it gets busy.  Catch a nao sat afternoon and then do it again saturday night. 

mudchuck

« Reply #14 on: Jul 28, 2017, 11:53 AM »
I used to surf fish a lot when I lived on DelMarVa years ago, but have since put those rods away in favor of canoe and now boat fishing Lake Champlain.
Chased stripers, blues sea trout, flounder, croakers, whitefish, sharks...you name it...beaches from Rehoboth all the way to Assateauge...and bayside too, Chambridge to Nanticoke to Crisfield, Ocean City...really enjoyed beaches and jetties &  back bays.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.