FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Dipsy divers  (Read 7860 times)

fishegg

Dipsy divers
« on: Aug 01, 2017, 07:57 AM »
I have plenty of leadcore, and a downrigger, but am considering trying out dipsy divers or the equivalent. Spending a week at the lake(winni) the middle of August and figured I would have time to mess with something new. I have zero experience with them and appreciate any help regarding techniques, sizes, colors, brands???? Want to get away from reeling in a fish with the dead action of leadcore. Do's and don'ts?

Any anecdotal input is welcome please. Thank you.

Seahunt

• Coffin Dodger @ IS
Re: Dipsy divers
« Reply #1 on: Aug 01, 2017, 08:25 AM »
Lots of info on the interweb about dipsy divers.
They're not used a lot on Winni.
You really should have a wire set up for dipsys.

If you want to give them a try, I'd seriously look at the "slide divers by lite bite".
You can get away with heavier mono but braid or wire is preferred.
If you pm me, I have all the above (except wire) that are looking for a new home.
I also have jet divers and tripz divers which are non directional but probably more effective on Winni.

fishinjohn

« Reply #2 on: Aug 01, 2017, 08:45 AM »

You really should have a wire set up for dipsys.
I run dipsys on lake erie with 30lb braid and NEVER have a problem.. I know 3 charters and they all use braid as well, so I really don't think wire is necessary.. jmo
I use all black #3's with a black ring as well... they can be a very effective tool for sure !

Seahunt

• Coffin Dodger @ IS
« Reply #3 on: Aug 01, 2017, 11:10 AM »
I run dipsys on lake erie with 30lb braid and NEVER have a problem.. I know 3 charters and they all use braid as well, so I really don't think wire is necessary.. jmo
I use all black #3's with a black ring as well... they can be a very effective tool for sure !

You really should have a wire set up for dipsys

How deep are you fishing on Erie?

"they can be a very effective tool for sure"

As I've said before, I really appreciate the info from you great lake guys.
Winni is a much different fishery though. A lot of your methodology works fine here and some just don't.
I can see someone new to dipsy fishing on Winni dragging small fish around for a long time.
I can also see them dragging dipsy's a long time with no action while using "our" more conventional methods would have much more positive results.
Both, our fish and bait is much smaller than found on the great lakes.
That's why many of us go to NY.  ;D     

fishinjohn

« Reply #4 on: Aug 01, 2017, 12:25 PM »
How deep are you fishing on Erie?

As I've said before, I really appreciate the info from you great lake guys.
Winni is a much different fishery though. A lot of your methodology works fine here and some just don't.
I can see someone new to dipsy fishing on Winni dragging small fish around for a long time.
I can also see them dragging dipsy's a long time with no action while using "our" more conventional methods would have much more positive results.
Both, our fish and bait is much smaller than found on the great lakes.
That's why many of us go to NY.  ;D     
I'm fishing in water depths up to 90 fow.. HOWEVER, fish are usually at different depths within the thermocline.. I caught fish yesterday off dipsys (in 65 fow) but the fish were in bait pods that were only down 20 fow..
As far as dragging small fish around, just set your trigger so that it's light enough for a small fish... but at the end of the day you still have to watch your rods.. most of my fish yesterday were under 20'.. only had 1 that I didn't know was on there

Mac Attack

« Reply #5 on: Aug 01, 2017, 01:02 PM »
Also set your drag properly WITH THE CLICKER.
And watch your rods.
And check your rods occasionally.

We fish Erie with dipseys in water over 100' and in Lake O in water over 400'.

I won't run wire anymore.
Just don't like it.
Zero stretch and tough on the guides and it kinks.
But that's just me.

We also run 30# braid.
I know it doesn't stretch like mono or flouro, but it does stretch when compared with wire.
And it's tough.

Not disagreeing to you SH.
Just adding to your thoughts.
 ;)

Here's a tip to this thread -

Do a search on You Tube.
Lotsa ship over there.

One more tip, a medium/heavy or heavy rod around 8.5-10' works well for us.

And lastly, a ratchet type rod holder that holds the rod parallel with the water, but allows you to grab the rod and ratchet it into an upright position quickly when a fish hits makes it WAY easier to get that rod out of the holder and also minimizes the chance you will lose the rod, reel, and a buncha dollars in gear.  This rod holder tip I think is worth considering.  I have run dipseys for about 40 years now and trying to get the rod out of the holder when it's pointing away from the boat with a decent fish on is tough.  And I've seen rods and reels lost because of this.  Not on my boat though.   ::)

Good luck.

Seahunt

• Coffin Dodger @ IS
« Reply #6 on: Aug 01, 2017, 03:05 PM »
Also set your drag properly WITH THE CLICKER.
And watch your rods.
And check your rods occasionally.

We fish Erie with dipseys in water over 100' and in Lake O in water over 400'.

I won't run wire anymore.
Just don't like it.
Zero stretch and tough on the guides and it kinks.
But that's just me.

We also run 30# braid.
I know it doesn't stretch like mono or flouro, but it does stretch when compared with wire.
And it's tough.

Not disagreeing to you SH.
Just adding to your thoughts.
 ;)

Here's a tip to this thread -

Do a search on You Tube.
Lotsa ship over there.

One more tip, a medium/heavy or heavy rod around 8.5-10' works well for us.

And lastly, a ratchet type rod holder that holds the rod parallel with the water, but allows you to grab the rod and ratchet it into an upright position quickly when a fish hits makes it WAY easier to get that rod out of the holder and also minimizes the chance you will lose the rod, reel, and a buncha dollars in gear.  This rod holder tip I think is worth considering.  I have run dipseys for about 40 years now and trying to get the rod out of the holder when it's pointing away from the boat with a decent fish on is tough.  And I've seen rods and reels lost because of this.  Not on my boat though.   ::)

Good luck.

I hear ya, Mac.  :)
Drag (with clicker on) set so even a bump or outside turn will take it out a few clicks.
Excellent advice on the rod holders. I used the Vectors (no longer sold). you could put them parallel with the water and lock them out so all you had to do was lift the rod and holder straight up and out comes the rod (inside the boat). Traxstech has one or more that will do the same.
Understand the need for dipsy rods. It would be kind of an anticlimax bringing in a 2-3# salmon behind a dipsy diver on one of those rods though.   ;)

As far as dragging small fish around, just set your trigger so that it's light enough for a small fish... but at the end of the day you still have to watch your rods.. most of my fish yesterday were under 20'.. only had 1 that I didn't know was on there

Just to clarify a little, I was just trying to give some anecdotal info to the op.
 am considering trying out dipsy divers or the equivalent. Spending a week at the lake(winni) the middle of August and figured I would have time to mess with something new. I have zero experience with them and appreciate any help regarding techniques, sizes, colors, brands?huh Want to get away from reeling in a fish with the dead action of leadcore. Do's and don'ts?

Any anecdotal input is welcome please. Thank you.
I'm familiar with setting "triggers".
In the long run, if the op isn't set up for pulling divers, it would be quite an investment for something I suspect he won't be happy with on Winni. There is also a bit of a learning curve when you first start out. Much more so with "0 experience using them".
Interesting how you and Mac have switched to "30 #" braid?
Thanks for your input fishnjohn.  

lowaccord66

« Reply #7 on: Aug 01, 2017, 03:09 PM »
Tried dipsys with braid last year on O...not so good.  Dipsys with wire...well lets say something about that setup fired up those salmon.  Outside of O I tried them in fisheries similar to winnie...not so good.  Personally I'd rather run leadcore.

JDK

« Reply #8 on: Aug 01, 2017, 03:26 PM »
I have been running a lite bite slide diver this year with marginal results.  There is a learning curve with them but overall pretty easy to use.  I have a 8'^" rod and 50 pound braid with about 6-7 feet of leader.  The nice part of the slide diver is that yo can set the lure as far back as you like.

I say I have marginal results, but to be fair, it had put a few extra fish in the boat, especially earlier this season when the fish dropped to 10-15 feet.  You can set the diver so it goes out to the side and it was very effective then. 

The only reason I even tried one was to try one.  Personally, this year I wrote off as a learning year and I'm not sure the results were worth the investment.  They are pretty cool to use but give me my riggers and a few leadcore and I'm happy.

# SAND

Mac Attack

« Reply #9 on: Aug 01, 2017, 03:58 PM »
If the fish are typically 2-3# I wouldn't even consider dipseys unless it was the smallest dipsey.
They just add too much BS to the line for smaller fish.  IMHO
That being said, we hauled in a 1# perch Saturday on a #3 dipsey.
It tripped the dipsey and simply felt like a shorty walleye.
So they work, and you can run them for small fish.
But if I was fishing for fish say under 4# and most under 3#, and wanted to get things deep I'd run downriggers.
I know........more $$$$
But with the downrigger, after the fish trips the release, you are fighting only the fish.  No extra BS as I mentioned above.

But, we catch a LOT of walleyes under 4# on dipseys.
Not the best fight, but walleyes are really not fighters anyway.
(Far better eaters)

SH - I run braid on darn every rod I own.
And I have about 30 rods.
Did this about 5 yrs back.
The ones yanking a dipsey are only braid.
The ones running leadcore ahve a braid backing and floro leader.
My downrigger rods have all braid and clip on a 6-8 foot long floro leader.
My perch rods are all braid.
We fish for perch in 45 to 80 FOW in Erie.
Mono or floro has too much stretch.
Braid outperforms anything on perch hands down in deep water like that.
My walleye jiggin rods I use up in Canada have 4 or 6# braid with a short 6' floro leader tied on.
My catfish rods for the creek have 30# braid.
Catfish don't care if you use 150# downrigger cable or a tow chain when they're hungry.   :D
My drift rods for walleye that I use with a bait walker or other weights to drag a crawler harness are all braid.
Braid lasts longer than mono and is reasonable when bought in bulk spools and when compared to mono or floro that goes to ship in a year or two from sun and ozone.
And my Ugly Stick that is my run and gun rod in the car when I'm traveling for work and spot a nice creek or farm pond, has 4# braid and a snap swivel that I will clip a jig or a Rapala or a spinner to and throw for a bit to ease the day's tension.
My saltwater surf rods have 30# braid too.
And when I was still ice fishing, my tipups all had braid.

Love braid.
 ;)

Rugburn

• Camp Dog
« Reply #10 on: Aug 01, 2017, 04:36 PM »
 You must not have the water fleas on Erie, like Ontario has. You know the little guys that accumulate on the line, especially braid.

zwiggles

« Reply #11 on: Aug 01, 2017, 07:09 PM »
I know it may not be the answer you are looking for but if you are looking for a better fight from fish on winni in august another downrigger would be the way to go. I have stayed away from dipsys for all the reasons mentioned in this thread. I have only spoken with one gentlemen who used them on winni, but if he is to be believed he caught some nice lake trout with them. The lite bite set ups mentioned in this thread sound interesting to me, but I have not tried them yet.

I fished winni this past Sunday, and we were lucky enough to land 3 very very nice salmon in short succession. 2 on leadcore, and one on the rigger. The one I caught was via the downrigger, and it was by far the best fight of the three.

fishinjohn

« Reply #12 on: Aug 01, 2017, 07:20 PM »
I switched to all braid about 7 years ago like mac.. when I'm fishing super clear water in the river or jigging for eyes,  I use a 2 foot floro leader.. otherwise it's strictly braid ON EVERYTHING , same as mac...
No stretch, no memory, and it has the strength of big lb mono with the diameter of light mono! I fish ALOT of wood and braid helps me keep my crankbaits in my tackle box and not on the bottom of river/ lake

Mac Attack

« Reply #13 on: Aug 01, 2017, 08:18 PM »
You must not have the water fleas on Erie, like Ontario has. You know the little guys that accumulate on the line, especially braid.

yup
we do

Seahunt

• Coffin Dodger @ IS
« Reply #14 on: Aug 01, 2017, 08:40 PM »
I'm definitely not trying to sell braid short.
All my salt water stuff and everything jigging is braid.
I use it for backing on my leadcore's and rigger rods. I pull jet divers and slide divers with it.
I follow the braid on my rigger rods with 100-150' of mono and a top shot of fluoro, cuz I'm not sure the braid will work in the Chamberlain releases I use. FWIW, I'm not switching releases.  ;)

Yes Mac, unfortunately, 2-2.5 # is probably the average salmon on Winni. Haven't heard of anything over 6 in years and the 6's are rare.

And I have about 30 rods.

I haven't counted my trolling rods for years. I'd say we were neck and neck in that dept.
If I counted all my rods it would be almost double.  :-[   All, ready to go with just a leader change.

BTW, what happened to fishegg?  :unsure:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.