FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Dipsy divers  (Read 7857 times)

Dispy

Re: Dipsy divers
« Reply #15 on: Aug 01, 2017, 09:08 PM »
Now why everyone gotta be talking about me...lmao......

SeaHunt is correct for our NH waters....Lite Bite Sliders or nothing.....even the smallest of Dipsy's are not a wise NH choice....Down Riggers or Leadcores will produce our small NH game fish :D
"Meet the new with your ears, eyes and mind wide open, and your mouth tightly shut."

Hottuna5150

« Reply #16 on: Aug 01, 2017, 09:12 PM »
A friend of mine uses one of these opposite a downrigger. Saw it perform pretty well on silver lake.
http://www.basspro.com/shop/en/davis-instruments-fish-seeker

Mac Attack

« Reply #17 on: Aug 01, 2017, 09:33 PM »

Mac Attack

« Reply #18 on: Aug 01, 2017, 09:34 PM »

BTW, what happened to fishegg?  :unsure:

He's busy reading.

:D

fishinjohn

« Reply #19 on: Aug 02, 2017, 03:53 AM »
The jet divers may be a better fit or those slide divers that were mentioned.. I've used jets before.. sometimes takes ALOT more line out the back to get desired depths, but also very effective

Mac Attack

« Reply #20 on: Aug 02, 2017, 04:51 AM »
The jet divers may be a better fit or those slide divers that were mentioned.. I've used jets before.. sometimes takes ALOT more line out the back to get desired depths, but also very effective

But they won't take the bait out to the side.
Dipsies will.

JDK

« Reply #21 on: Aug 02, 2017, 05:58 AM »
I had smelt and tiny perch trip the lite bite this year.

# SAND

fishegg

« Reply #22 on: Aug 02, 2017, 06:47 AM »
I've been here, just letting some responses accumulate and tied down with work. I have watched tons of you tube vids and other tidbits of info from the web. This is pretty much what I wanted, A full understanding of why I don't see them used much on Winni. I had considered a second down rigger, the cost difference and a day on Ontario last month got me thinking about the dipsys, I have zero experience with them. My main objective is to fight fish on straight mono. The lead core is very effective on Winni, I have 5 set-ups, I just hate how they can come in like a wet dish rag.

I appreciate the banter and advice, I will look harder at a second DR or evening a stacker on the one I have. As usual this site is a great resource. Sorry for the slow pick-up, work sucks lately, really looking forward to a week on the lake.

I'm also prob gonna pick up one of Alan's vertical flashers, I have all the colors one could want, might as well buy something else.

Thanks for your time and advice

JDK

« Reply #23 on: Aug 02, 2017, 07:05 AM »
I'll be quiet after this.

If I were only going to Winni for a week AND I planned to fish Lake Ontario again in the future, I'd pick up a lite bite.  Sounds like you have a lot of stuff already so what is a little more?  Plus, as I mentioned, it has put a few extra fish in the boat.  I have caught salmon between 12 and 22 inches on my slide diver this year, plus smelt and perch.  All tripped them and all jumped and fought about the same as on leadcore.  There have been days when everything but the LB was firing and days when it was a mix. I like the fact that they are directional and at times stealth produces.  I have not found that the drag is really all that different than leadcore once tripped.  They are a tool plain and simple.

That said, and I'm contradicting myself, you will not be happy running either a LB or a dipsey on mono.  As said above, far too much stretch. 

If you want to purchase a downrigger, that is your business.  If you want out cheap, they are an option.

# SAND

fishinjohn

« Reply #24 on: Aug 02, 2017, 07:35 AM »

But they won't take the bait out to the side.
Dipsies will.
Yes you are correct..

fishegg

« Reply #25 on: Aug 02, 2017, 07:37 AM »
Thanks, sorry if I wasn't clear, Ontario was a charter, never go there on my own. Also I fish Winni, off and on, all year. So my investments are focused on fishing winni.

Thanks for the input.

Seahunt

• Coffin Dodger @ IS
« Reply #26 on: Aug 02, 2017, 08:37 AM »
Now why everyone gotta be talking about me...lmao......

SeaHunt is correct for our NH waters....Lite Bite Sliders or nothing.....even the smallest of Dipsy's are not a wise NH choice....Down Riggers or Leadcores will produce our small NH game fish :D
Hey, Tom.
Been thinking about you.
Particularly, in this thread.  :laugh:
Thanks, sorry if I wasn't clear, Ontario was a charter, never go there on my own. Also I fish Winni, off and on, all year. So my investments are focused on fishing winni.

I think if you consider the money you'd have to shell out to get properly set up to pull dipsys, you'd be well on your way to buying at least a manual rigger.
You'll get a lot more use from a rigger.
And, there's no comparison between fighting a fish on light tackle vs a dipsy.   

JDK

« Reply #27 on: Aug 02, 2017, 10:18 AM »

And, there's no comparison between fighting a fish on light tackle vs a dipsy.   

Agreed

# SAND

porkpiehat

« Reply #28 on: Aug 05, 2017, 11:03 AM »
I know it may not be the answer you are looking for but if you are looking for a better fight from fish on winni in august another downrigger would be the way to go. I have stayed away from dipsys for all the reasons mentioned in this thread. I have only spoken with one gentlemen who used them on winni, but if he is to be believed he caught some nice lake trout with them. The lite bite set ups mentioned in this thread sound interesting to me, but I have not tried them yet.

I fished winni this past Sunday, and we were lucky enough to land 3 very very nice salmon in short succession. 2 on leadcore, and one on the rigger. The one I caught was via the downrigger, and it was by far the best fight of the three.

I fished winni last weekend. Got no hits on my downrigger, but I'm still learning on them. On sunday my only hit was on a "mini diver," braided line, with a dodger and fly. flouro broke (or knot failed) after a few seconds of fighting. I think these little things max out at 30 ft so it was a surprise. They do make me a little nervous the way the cross behind the boat even on the "side" setting

Mac Attack

« Reply #29 on: Aug 05, 2017, 11:39 AM »
I fished winni last weekend. Got no hits on my downrigger, but I'm still learning on them. On sunday my only hit was on a "mini diver," braided line, with a dodger and fly. flouro broke (or knot failed) after a few seconds of fighting. I think these little things max out at 30 ft so it was a surprise. They do make me a little nervous the way the cross behind the boat even on the "side" setting

The problem you have is that you are pulling a dodger and fly with a small dipsey that doesn't have much surface area.
Dodgers are very erratic, as they need to be in order to toss that fly from side to side to attract fish.
The dodger and fly pulls harder than the dipsey, so the dodger control where your line travels.
The side to side action pulls on the smaller dipseys and causes the dipsey to flip and then not track straight.
You wanna run dodgers, use a larger dipsey or run them off the rigger.

Small dipseys work will with spoons, worm harnesses, and thin body baits.
Lures that aren't too erratic and will track somewhat straight.

Good luck.
Mac

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.