FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: spring fed lakes?  (Read 1167 times)

porkpiehat

spring fed lakes?
« on: Aug 04, 2017, 12:32 PM »
I know a spring fed lake will hold trout better through the summer b.c. there is a fresh supply of cold water. I'm wondering if they stay a little more shallow in these lakes.

For instance, I'm looking at the depth maps on big Squam and wondering if I'll be restricted to the deeper basins, or if they might be spread out more due to the influx of cold water.

zwiggles

Re: spring fed lakes?
« Reply #1 on: Aug 04, 2017, 01:47 PM »
I think squam is way too big to be effected much by any spring cooling. I would guess the lake stratifies, and the top layer will be come too warm to hold trout for anything more then a short trip to feed. Besides there's no trout in that lake during the summer as far as I can tell.

I do fish a lake which is mostly spring fed, and although it is much much smaller than squam, I have caught rainbows on sinking fly line there in the middle of august when the water temp is well over 70. I'm usually trolling pretty fast, and I can't imagine the full sink is getting past 8' down.

porkpiehat

« Reply #2 on: Aug 04, 2017, 07:03 PM »
I think squam is way too big to be effected much by any spring cooling. I would guess the lake stratifies, and the top layer will be come too warm to hold trout for anything more then a short trip to feed. Besides there's no trout in that lake during the summer as far as I can tell.

I do fish a lake which is mostly spring fed, and although it is much much smaller than squam, I have caught rainbows on sinking fly line there in the middle of august when the water temp is well over 70. I'm usually trolling pretty fast, and I can't imagine the full sink is getting past 8' down.

that's enticing lol. do they get fat?

porkpiehat

« Reply #3 on: Aug 04, 2017, 07:30 PM »

Also, feel like fishing tomorrow haha?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.