FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Cape Trip  (Read 1676 times)

Baitbucket

Cape Trip
« on: Aug 08, 2017, 01:07 PM »
Looks like me, the wifey, and the kiddos will be heading to the cape for a camping trip for 4 days 8/18-8/21.

I plan to bring my yak to fish the small trout pond we are camping on, but wouldnt mind hitting the salt for some shore fishing. I got a lighter 9' Surf rod rated to 2oz with a Penn reel i plan to use. Would love to try the canal as well, ive never fished it before. However I dont have rod/reel/tackle for that kind of fishing.

If anyone is going to be out that way and wants to meet up, let me know.

lowaccord66

Re: Cape Trip
« Reply #1 on: Aug 08, 2017, 01:38 PM »
Albies!  What pond are you staying on?  Those cape ponds are highly productive. You can do fine at the canal with that setup just stick to throwing eels at night and or sp minnows.  I used to carry a lighter 9 footer for that purpose. 

Baitbucket

« Reply #2 on: Aug 08, 2017, 02:13 PM »
Albies!  What pond are you staying on?  Those cape ponds are highly productive. You can do fine at the canal with that setup just stick to throwing eels at night and or sp minnows.  I used to carry a lighter 9 footer for that purpose. 

We are staying at the campground on Cliff Pond.

I got a 3k or 4k penn and a 6k Spheros, which is basically a 5k Spheros body with a larger spool.  The Spheros is a bit large for that rod, but i may need the lane capacity

westernmas

« Reply #3 on: Aug 08, 2017, 02:21 PM »

I got a 3k or 4k penn and a 6k Spheros, which is basically a 5k Spheros body with a larger spool.  The Spheros is a bit large for that rod, but i may need the lane capacity

Cliff Pond is stocked like crazy.  I've had days where I've caught dozens of trout there.  The kids will have a blast there.  There are a couple of other ponds in the area that are great to fish as well, some of which are very productive for good sized bass.
AKA-PMaloney86 on the shanty
AKA-westernm@$$hole prior to a mod change
Instagram @Patsquatch413

lowaccord66

« Reply #4 on: Aug 08, 2017, 02:50 PM »

The 6k spheros will do the trick.  I used a 6k stradic for years there...if you are willing and able bump down to 40lb for extra compacity and distance.  Some of the guys are down to 30lb to hit specific holes that can only be reached with long casts. 

Baitbucket

« Reply #5 on: Aug 08, 2017, 05:07 PM »
The 6k spheros will do the trick.  I used a 6k stradic for years there...if you are willing and able bump down to 40lb for extra compacity and distance.  Some of the guys are down to 30lb to hit specific holes that can only be reached with long casts. 

Im running 30lb J-Braid on it now.

Cliff Pond is stocked like crazy.  I've had days where I've caught dozens of trout there.  The kids will have a blast there.  There are a couple of other ponds in the area that are great to fish as well, some of which are very productive for good sized bass.

Thats good to know. Ill have a leadcore outfit with me for trolling for trout. Any suggestions on lures?

westernmas

« Reply #6 on: Aug 08, 2017, 10:49 PM »
Thats good to know. Ill have a leadcore outfit with me for trolling for trout. Any suggestions on lures?
[/quote]

I'm not sure I mostly bottom bounced worms or used shiners.  I'd imagine any of the usual lures you use at quabbin for trout should work.  There were salmon stocked in there at some point but I'm not sure if there are any left.  I was pulled over on my way there about 6 years ago and the officer said he caught a nice one there.  I think being a fisherman got me out of a ticket that day.
AKA-PMaloney86 on the shanty
AKA-westernm@$$hole prior to a mod change
Instagram @Patsquatch413

lowaccord66

« Reply #7 on: Aug 09, 2017, 09:19 AM »
Grab a handfull of db smelt spoons and you'll probably nail them.  Big perch in those ponds too.  I also like small husky jerks on leadcore as well. Pretty universal in their ability to catch any species.

SalmonAndStriper Stalker

• landlocked salmon,stripers,lake trout,trout,bass
« Reply #8 on: Aug 17, 2017, 09:28 PM »
Thomas Colorados as well as yo zuri pins minnows work wonders for trolling in the cape ponds.

Baitbucket

« Reply #9 on: Aug 19, 2017, 05:55 AM »
Trip got canned due to the storm. We are going to a local campground for the weekend.

taxid

« Reply #10 on: Aug 19, 2017, 10:01 AM »
Trip got canned due to the storm. We are going to a local campground for the weekend.

I heard quite a few people had to be rescued off the cape due to riptide from the storm?
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.