FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Not to shabby..  (Read 2064 times)

Baitbucket

Not to shabby..
« on: Aug 09, 2017, 05:40 PM »
Needed a second planer board for my new mast i just picked up. Put this together for about 15$. Ill see how well it works this weekend hopefully.

zwiggles

Re: Not to shabby..
« Reply #1 on: Aug 09, 2017, 05:42 PM »
Nicely done!

Baitbucket

« Reply #2 on: Aug 09, 2017, 05:50 PM »
Nicely done!

Thx!

Those are 8in boards 24in long btw.

Eastciderida

« Reply #3 on: Aug 09, 2017, 06:17 PM »
I should have offered the ones I had. Gave them to the guy that bought my boat sorry

stripernut

« Reply #4 on: Aug 09, 2017, 06:35 PM »
Those will keep the electric motor working...

lowaccord66

« Reply #5 on: Aug 10, 2017, 06:56 AM »
Nice.  Lots of guys make them, why not right!   Ill be playing with some this weekend at O.

Baitbucket

« Reply #6 on: Aug 10, 2017, 07:10 AM »
Nice.  Lots of guys make them, why not right!   Ill be playing with some this weekend at O.

They arent cheap to buy thats for sure. They go for anywhere from 75 for the plastic ones fo over 300 for nice wooden ones.  For 15-20 bucks you can make you own. This one doesnt collapse, but that shouldnt be to big of a deal. This size may be bigger than what i need for the Q, but we'll see. If i need to run 2-3 lines off each side, they should be perfect.

taxid

« Reply #7 on: Aug 10, 2017, 07:41 AM »
Out here they can really make difference on a particular very clear lake we used to troll for trout in. (I say used to as the state no longer plants trout in it even thought he state record bow close to 20 pounds was caught there and I've mounted browns up to 10 pounds in the lake.)

We would find that many trout would move away from the boat as it went above them even though they were in about 25 feet of water.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

lowaccord66

« Reply #8 on: Aug 10, 2017, 07:44 AM »
You'll appreciate a bigger board like that at the q.  People will see it and it will handle any chop nicely.  They are expensive!

Baitbucket

« Reply #9 on: Aug 10, 2017, 07:56 AM »
You'll appreciate a bigger board like that at the q.  People will see it and it will handle any chop nicely.  They are expensive!

My thoughts exactly lol

Qwest73

« Reply #10 on: Aug 10, 2017, 11:50 AM »
Looks cool! Never got into them.

bigredfishing

• Screw the BS, let's go fishing.
« Reply #11 on: Aug 10, 2017, 11:55 AM »
This size may be bigger than what i need for the Q, but we'll see. If i need to run 2-3 lines off each side, they should be perfect.

The two plank boards should always be as big as can be practically built.   they work great until you catch a wave thats just a little too big, and then they flip over, and dive under the boat, tangling all the lines...

so obviously a big one like you built, would be the best at avoiding that nightmare scenario (which i have seen happen twice now)

love the bright orange paint, thats some really good work.

lowaccord66

« Reply #12 on: Aug 10, 2017, 12:20 PM »
I saw that once Lance  ::)

Baitbucket

« Reply #13 on: Aug 10, 2017, 12:31 PM »
The two plank boards should always be as big as can be practically built.   they work great until you catch a wave thats just a little too big, and then they flip over, and dive under the boat, tangling all the lines...

so obviously a big one like you built, would be the best at avoiding that nightmare scenario (which i have seen happen twice now)

love the bright orange paint, thats some really good work.

I had heard of the flipping issue as well. To help combat that i added a strip of 1/2in wide x 1/8in thick x 24in long steel along the bottom of both boards for added weight. The two rods in the back are also supposed to help combat that as well.

lowaccord66

« Reply #14 on: Aug 10, 2017, 12:33 PM »
Make sure you post a clip of it running!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.