FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Harbor area fishing tomorrow  (Read 3843 times)

porkpiehat

Re: Harbor area fishing tomorrow
« Reply #15 on: Aug 13, 2017, 08:54 AM »
Wind was up and the motor was acting funny so I stayed around AA dam and the Charlestown launch were I saw striper hanging around bait pens (sporting of me, right?).

Storm wild-eye shad seemed to be the only herring-sized lure in my box I could cast into structure. No bites. drifted pogie chunks. nothing on poppers. Did get one hit on a smaller rapala trolling. Around 5:30 something started feeding on the surfaces. Lot's of tiny baitfish leaping out of the water.

I was marking fish but it was close to high tide and there were "submerged obstacles."  I feel like I should have been out in the harbor if I were serious about catching this time of day but I wanted to get comfortable drifting alone/stemming and casting.

Knot there yet

« Reply #16 on: Aug 14, 2017, 08:26 AM »
Your in my nieghborhood now. Tube and worm is my choice in there. Locke operators deaf as haddock though. Dave P. On the water Fame (F/V Bite Me) spends the winter in there. Lots of hold overs. Saugus/Pines Rivers, Lynn Harbor and Revere beach all have plenty of bait too. Crystal Cove In Winthrop great spot for small boats too. You come around in week at night I'm around somewhere close. So much bait and schoolies around still fishing hasn't been great for keepers but keeps the sunks away. I've been switching over to fly rod for fun with schoolies.

porkpiehat

« Reply #17 on: Aug 14, 2017, 01:49 PM »
Your in my nieghborhood now. Tube and worm is my choice in there. Locke operators deaf as haddock though. Dave P. On the water Fame (F/V Bite Me) spends the winter in there. Lots of hold overs. Saugus/Pines Rivers, Lynn Harbor and Revere beach all have plenty of bait too. Crystal Cove In Winthrop great spot for small boats too. You come around in week at night I'm around somewhere close. So much bait and schoolies around still fishing hasn't been great for keepers but keeps the sunks away. I've been switching over to fly rod for fun with schoolies.

Never had luck with tube and worm! Seems like tight quarters and skinny water for that...Do you put on leadcore? The ones I have are weighted.

I wanted to go out last night and fish from shore last night but I had no live eels or idea where to go. Game of Thrones broke the camels back.

lowaccord66

« Reply #18 on: Aug 14, 2017, 03:14 PM »
No eels no problem...id throw shads at castle island any outgoing.  Other thing you can do is go cast at Black Flacon cruise terminal.  I always did better chunking but did get some casting.  The guys getting bass tube and worm are trolling in yaks with braid.  The bass winter near and around the big bridge. 

Knot there yet

« Reply #19 on: Aug 15, 2017, 10:59 AM »
 I use Santini tubes only on metered (color changes every 30ft)lead core. More for it anti-twist than depth when in kayak and in boat lead core helps with depth. Red and black are my favs. Red during the day and black anytime. It will destroy the line on your reel with twist so don't try with out a good swivel. Go to fleamarket get an old penn level line. Learn leadcore to mono knot. I like 6' mono to swivel(get best you can find). Then 1' floro leader with a snap swivel/speed clip  to tube. Bigger the worms better the fish. Do not put in rod holder you'll catch 2x more fish if you hold the rod. Keep tubes tied in knot when not in use. Cork screw effect is desired while on the troll. With the price of worms and the heat it's an early/late season thing for me.
 Yeah since meeting Pete Santini. I will only use his tubes not here to argue the point. He stands by his products and I do too.
 The kayak may be the perfect platform for t&w ever made. My$.02

lowaccord66

« Reply #20 on: Aug 15, 2017, 11:20 AM »
Pete is a good dude!

porkpiehat

« Reply #21 on: Aug 22, 2017, 11:16 PM »
I'm going to try some night fishing in the next week from shore...don't like to have the boat out at night. I'm figuring live eels or chunk, still trying to nail down a location

lowaccord66

« Reply #22 on: Aug 23, 2017, 10:36 AM »
Night time eeling I used to go to Marblehead neck and accesss the rocks to the right of the lighthouse and continue south from there.  The gentleman in the first house next to the park has called on me before but I had Coastal Management office call Marblehead police to explain that I was not trespassing and then threatened that homeowner with pressing charges for breaking 5c in chapter 131 of the mass general laws.  That was during the day.  Never an issue at night. 

Or hit Castle Island on the drop or Deer Island.

porkpiehat

« Reply #23 on: Aug 23, 2017, 01:40 PM »
you can fish deer island from shore?

lowaccord66

« Reply #24 on: Aug 23, 2017, 01:47 PM »
you can fish deer island from shore?

Yup. There is a parking lot there and a 2.6 mile loop around it.  Technically open sunrose to sunset but have never had an issue.  From the piece I did for OTW

"Just past the fishing platform, the tip of the island features several jetties and a tremendous amount of current that sweeps out into Boston Harbor to form the famed Deer Island Rip. Every season large stripers breaking the 40lb mark are taken from these waters. It's a difficult spot to fish from shore, so make sure you have felt-soled or cleated waders to navigate the rocks."

Good luck!

porkpiehat

« Reply #25 on: Aug 23, 2017, 02:02 PM »
It's a difficult spot to fish from shore, so make sure you have felt-soled or cleated waders to navigate the rocks."

Good luck!

So at night probably best to just stay off the rocks? thanks!

lowaccord66

« Reply #26 on: Aug 23, 2017, 02:32 PM »
So at night probably best to just stay off the rocks? thanks!

That decision is up to the operator.  I am comfortable on the rocks, some are not.  Recommend a day time scout first, get a lay of the land and then go launch eels all night!

porkpiehat

« Reply #27 on: Aug 23, 2017, 02:40 PM »
I'll just wear my waders and scuba tanks

lowaccord66

« Reply #28 on: Aug 23, 2017, 03:20 PM »
I'll just wear my waders and scuba tanks

Ha!  I used to float from on rock to another in my drytop.  Then I had a kid and had already figured out the canal so I stopped a majority of my surfcasting.  The best spots tend to be the most dangerous.

porkpiehat

« Reply #29 on: Aug 25, 2017, 05:39 PM »
Fish the outgoing with bunker chunks at dear island rip.  Or 3 way eels.  Some big fish to be had there at times.

so you would suggest weight with the eels vs. free swimming? I think we are casting from shore tonight and leaving the boat at home

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.