FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: jigging for lakers  (Read 8410 times)

porkpiehat

jigging for lakers
« on: Aug 10, 2017, 12:09 PM »
thought I'd break out the vexilar and try some jigging this weekend...Does this technique work on the other Laker lakes like it does winni?

zwiggles

Re: jigging for lakers
« Reply #1 on: Aug 10, 2017, 03:56 PM »
I have not jigged for them anywhere except winni, but I would imagine it would work just as well elsewhere. A friend of mine who grew up in the middle of Maine swears by it, and refuses to troll for them.

Let us know how it goes

stripernut

« Reply #2 on: Aug 10, 2017, 05:04 PM »
I love doing it on the Quabbin, a Sebile Vibra has been working for me lately...

MGK

« Reply #3 on: Aug 10, 2017, 05:25 PM »
I spent a decent amount of time doing just that this spring/summer. I had fair results but the biggest issue I had was drifting. The second you start to drift you loose the jig on the flasher which gets annoying. I anchored and even just the little swing you get from being on the hook can be enough to loose the jig. When I kept the jig on the screen, results were good. Maybe you can figure something out that I didn't. I think that "anchor mode" on the new Minn Kota's would be pretty slick for this.

As far as actually fish activity, I found that roughly the same jigs that work though the ice worked for me in the boat however the fish were less aggressive and less likely to chase any distance.
It is better to be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt

stripernut

« Reply #4 on: Aug 10, 2017, 06:00 PM »
I have done it with the anchor mode on Baitbuckets boat and it is great! That said a sea anchor goes a long way to slowing down most drifts and for a lot less money...

porkpiehat

« Reply #5 on: Aug 10, 2017, 07:53 PM »
yeah the one time I tried this last year the wind had me all over the place. I have caught them "accidentally jigging" with my leadcore hanging at a dead stop

fishlessman

« Reply #6 on: Aug 11, 2017, 07:33 AM »
has to be completely flat, no wind for me. my boats too tall and the cabin catches the wind. i do it late august into the fall near spawning grounds trying not to jig in more tha 50 foot of water.  if your drifting about a half mile an hour or more ive done well hand line jigging with lead core and suttons, short leader and you can feel the tip of the lead core just touching the bottom, its kinda inbetween a troll and a jig and used to be done on lake willoughby in vt, killer sometimes on sebago spring and fall. this doesnt work as well with a rod and you pile leadcore on the boat floor and pay it out or bring it in as needed to get that light tap tap sensation in your hand of the lead just touching the sand and you want a sandy bottom to avoid snags. i have not seen another boat do this in 20 years

porkpiehat

« Reply #7 on: Aug 11, 2017, 11:09 AM »
that's interesting you do this with spoons? I was told to stick to the deep holes in August/Sept.

fishlessman

« Reply #8 on: Aug 11, 2017, 01:04 PM »
that's interesting you do this with spoons? I was told to stick to the deep holes in August/Sept.

i fish out of an eastern lobster boat full cabin, its a giant sail in any wind so deep jigging is almost impossible. when the spawn starts to move in they stage up higher in the water column

porkpiehat

« Reply #9 on: Aug 11, 2017, 08:04 PM »
Is "fishlessman" a take on Game of Thrones (the faceless man)?

porkpiehat

« Reply #10 on: Aug 14, 2017, 02:20 PM »
I have done it with the anchor mode on Baitbuckets boat and it is great! That said a sea anchor goes a long way to slowing down most drifts and for a lot less money...

I the bucket w/holes comparable to a sea anchor?

think I'm heading up tomorrow. I know the holes at the mouth of Alton are good. At least the traffic should be minimal.
I've lost two full days of fishing to t-storm forecasts. Winds still look pretty low tomorrow morning if anyone is game.

stripernut

« Reply #11 on: Aug 14, 2017, 07:07 PM »
buckets with holes help, but a sea anchor is MUCH better...

fishlessman

« Reply #12 on: Aug 15, 2017, 09:10 AM »
sea anchor is way better. still wouldnt count off the dropoffs, i fished an edge of a steep dropoff last weekend and the salmon and togue were sticking to water between 35 and 45 feet deep right against the edge in 35 to 45 vfoot water, the dropoff was 12 down to 80 foot depth. this was on sebago though

NH_RED

« Reply #13 on: Aug 16, 2017, 07:11 AM »
Tried it once, too much drift. Just landed about a dozen 4 days ago trolling winni. Half of them came on leadcore at 6 colors, rest on the riggers. Biggest one came on lc 5.5lbs. don't always have to go deep. Cloudy and showers helped.

porkpiehat

« Reply #14 on: Aug 16, 2017, 09:37 AM »
has to be completely flat, no wind for me. my boats too tall and the cabin catches the wind. i do it late august into the fall near spawning grounds trying not to jig in more tha 50 foot of water.  if your drifting about a half mile an hour or more ive done well hand line jigging with lead core and suttons, short leader and you can feel the tip of the lead core just touching the bottom, its kinda inbetween a troll and a jig and used to be done on lake willoughby in vt, killer sometimes on sebago spring and fall. this doesnt work as well with a rod and you pile leadcore on the boat floor and pay it out or bring it in as needed to get that light tap tap sensation in your hand of the lead just touching the sand and you want a sandy bottom to avoid snags. i have not seen another boat do this in 20 years

Tried this on Mousam yesterday. Only bite of the day and it was a 5lb laker. Unfortunately I lost half of my leadcore trying to detangle the rats nest on the floor of my boat. copper and orange wobbler with a little worm!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.