FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: jigging for lakers  (Read 8399 times)

porkpiehat

Re: jigging for lakers
« Reply #15 on: Aug 16, 2017, 09:39 AM »
I think it was about 2pm, approx 70-74 fow. Cloudy and a little windy.

fishlessman

« Reply #16 on: Aug 16, 2017, 10:04 AM »
I think it was about 2pm, approx 70-74 fow. Cloudy and a little windy.

what i try to do is put the rod in the holder and pay enough line out where i can feel it ticking bottom, then put about 1.5 to 2 colors on the floor. feel a hit and yank quickly on the line to set the hook. toss the line overboard and reel quickly with the rod. i believe i read years ago that the original owner of this site would put the line out and troll tight circles to get the lead core more vertical.  i dont go real deep, 45 to 50 is good but prefer to keep it less, but whatever works

porkpiehat

« Reply #17 on: Aug 16, 2017, 01:25 PM »
I should have reeled it in but went into instinct and handlined it like a tip-up. The new super lead core sinks well but kinks easily and causes more snags

lowaccord66

« Reply #18 on: Aug 20, 2017, 08:43 AM »
has to be completely flat, no wind for me. my boats too tall and the cabin catches the wind. i do it late august into the fall near spawning grounds trying not to jig in more tha 50 foot of water.  if your drifting about a half mile an hour or more ive done well hand line jigging with lead core and suttons, short leader and you can feel the tip of the lead core just touching the bottom, its kinda inbetween a troll and a jig and used to be done on lake willoughby in vt, killer sometimes on sebago spring and fall. this doesnt work as well with a rod and you pile leadcore on the boat floor and pay it out or bring it in as needed to get that light tap tap sensation in your hand of the lead just touching the sand and you want a sandy bottom to avoid snags. i have not seen another boat do this in 20 years

Thanks for sharing thats pretty cool!

porkpiehat

« Reply #19 on: Aug 21, 2017, 09:26 PM »
I went out to Winni on Saturday. On the water by 8:30 (technical difficulties) and hunted the deep holes between Black point and Sleepers and not a bite. Didn't really even find these big stacks of lakers on my sonar. Either they take off at 9am or my Sonar isn't so good at depth. Also I found my Humminbird Ice 35 is useless in this situation. I promised my buddy tons of fish because I always strike out when he's with me haha

lowaccord66

« Reply #20 on: Aug 22, 2017, 07:37 AM »
I went out to Winni on Saturday. On the water by 8:30 (technical difficulties) and hunted the deep holes between Black point and Sleepers and not a bite. Didn't really even find these big stacks of lakers on my sonar. Either they take off at 9am or my Sonar isn't so good at depth. Also I found my Humminbird Ice 35 is useless in this situation. I promised my buddy tons of fish because I always strike out when he's with me haha

Make sure your frequency is not set too low and maybe adjust the gain up a bit.  When I have mine set at 200hz and the gain up it will mark the jig and lakers chasing it pretty good.

porkpiehat

« Reply #21 on: Aug 22, 2017, 07:59 AM »
Make sure your frequency is not set too low and maybe adjust the gain up a bit.  When I have mine set at 200hz and the gain up it will mark the jig and lakers chasing it pretty good.

I think the flasher might be broken. As soon as I turn up the gain so that anything appears I get so much static that nothing stays on the screen for more than a milisecond. So many lines everywhere and nothing specific is being tracked as moving. I can't think of a better way to describe it...like an old TV. This is with no drift. The sonarphone/tbox would freak out past 120 ft and show me at zero feet. At less depth it showed a consistent solid line at exactly 100 feet, almost like a thermocline.

My boat came with a Humminbird Matrix 27 which won't power up but probably just needs a fuse or a connection checked. That might be a better solution for deeper water. I am concerned about the flasher though. Same thing happened after charging the battery and at 60 fow the next day.

lowaccord66

« Reply #22 on: Aug 22, 2017, 08:28 AM »
I use the normal graph not the flasher mode on my Garmin. 

Hottuna5150

« Reply #23 on: Aug 23, 2017, 08:32 AM »
I think the flasher might be broken. As soon as I turn up the gain so that anything appears I get so much static that nothing stays on the screen for more than a milisecond. So many lines everywhere and nothing specific is being tracked as moving. I can't think of a better way to describe it...like an old TV. This is with no drift. The sonarphone/tbox would freak out past 120 ft and show me at zero feet. At less depth it showed a consistent solid line at exactly 100 feet, almost like a thermocline.

My boat came with a Humminbird Matrix 27 which won't power up but probably just needs a fuse or a connection checked. That might be a better solution for deeper water. I am concerned about the flasher though. Same thing happened after charging the battery and at 60 fow the next day.

Are you running the sonarphone and the humminbird ice at the same time? I know if I run the dual frequency mode on my garmin my buddies Ice 35 goes haywire and shows a bunch of interference lines if we're fishing close by through the ice.

porkpiehat

« Reply #24 on: Aug 23, 2017, 01:14 PM »
I remember thinking it might be interference. The noise reduction button did nothing. I remember thinking about turning off the t-box to check but not sure if I did it.

lowaccord66

« Reply #25 on: Aug 23, 2017, 01:24 PM »
I have a sonar phone setup myself...got it for free when they were beta testing it.  Never used it.

porkpiehat

« Reply #26 on: Aug 23, 2017, 02:07 PM »
I have mixed feelings on it. The performance and connection can get wonky if the battery drops below half; When we got beyond 120 ft it completely freaks out and shows me at zero ft. When it works I like it. especially the easy interface and integration with navionics on my phone. I like not having to drill holes in my boat :)

porkpiehat

« Reply #27 on: Aug 25, 2017, 12:12 AM »
with regard to jigging lures, I've been using Daddy Mac albie and minnow lures with no bites. I'm afraid they may be to large but it's what a guide and a buddy recommend and they both hook up. Also a copper pimple and a blue and silver pimple, sizewise in between the two.

fishlessman

« Reply #28 on: Aug 25, 2017, 09:15 AM »
with regard to jigging lures, I've been using Daddy Mac albie and minnow lures with no bites. I'm afraid they may be to large but it's what a guide and a buddy recommend and they both hook up. Also a copper pimple and a blue and silver pimple, sizewise in between the two.

have had luck with the daddy macs in blue and bone white but in sebago

zwiggles

« Reply #29 on: Aug 25, 2017, 09:30 AM »
Those daddy mac lures will definitely work on winni. Not sure what size your using, but I don't think they can be too big. I believe the guide your referencing also recommended these to me last year, and I now own a bunch of them.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.