FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Was on Oliver a few hours today - Sunday  (Read 3949 times)

taxid

Was on Oliver a few hours today - Sunday
« on: Aug 13, 2017, 09:31 PM »
Trolled a couple of kastmaster spoons at 23 feet and 25 feet on downriggers with no hits for only about 45 minutes. Got to the lake late so didn't put a lot of time into it. Lost a trout at the boat in the outlet pond, fishing with a crawler and slip bobber at 22 1/2 feet that I believe was a brown about 13 inches or so. Just got a quick glimpse of it.

I'm sure night fishing would have been better but had to get back and didn't bring any lights.

What was nice in the outlet pond was the there was virtually no wind so anchors weren't needed. Some skiers and a jet ski out in the main lake, but they weren't the type to come in close to the boat. That was a nice change of pace vs. some other lakes I've been on.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

staubsaugen

Re: Was on Oliver a few hours today - Sunday
« Reply #1 on: Aug 14, 2017, 05:37 AM »
I fished Oliver Sunday morning... all slip bobber with wigglers 20-22 ft. down. caught one bow, one really nice bluegill, and several bass. lots of marks on the fish finder, just not too many actively feeding trout it seems. as summer wears on and dissolved oxygen decreases and water temp rises the trout seem to become more lethargic? thinking about downsizing baits next time-waxies and ice jigs, or maybe i just need to get out at night!

staubsaugen

« Reply #2 on: Aug 14, 2017, 08:41 AM »
i bought an umbrella rig a while back for just that purpose, but haven't really tried it yet sure seems it could work. fishhogger what do you troll? spinners? i have trolled recently but with no success using spoons and rapalas, but maybe just didn't put in enough time yet.

taxid

« Reply #3 on: Aug 14, 2017, 09:30 AM »
I fished Oliver Sunday morning... all slip bobber with wigglers 20-22 ft. down. caught one bow, one really nice bluegill, and several bass. lots of marks on the fish finder, just not too many actively feeding trout it seems. as summer wears on and dissolved oxygen decreases and water temp rises the trout seem to become more lethargic? thinking about downsizing baits next time-waxies and ice jigs, or maybe i just need to get out at night!

I'm thinking 20 to 22 may have been a little shallow on the main lake, which is why you caught a bluegill and some bass. I don't believe the thermocline starts until at least 23 feet. The trout you caught may have come up for the bait.

I'm tempted to send a water sample to a friend that tests public and private waters for a living. Wasn't sure if I was seeing an algae bloom or it was just suspended marl, and even possibly iron in the water. I know the inlet on the east end has a considerable amount of iron in it as it stains the rock in it. If it's an algae bloom it indicates elevated nitrates and phosphorus which could be farm run off or other run off enriching the water. That is not positive for trout if it eventually effects oxygen levels negatively.

My trout pond has a similar color due to iron at about 0.4 mg/l.  You don't get the orange/brown color until you get higher amounts of iron.

Got to go. I have numerous pike and musky to skin out and mount this week. They are a lot of work!
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

taxid

« Reply #4 on: Aug 15, 2017, 07:40 AM »
i troll cranks and like them to have a lot of vibration.  wee craws or wiggle wort type baits.  tiny spots and tiny traps are also good choices.  more attraction the better in my book.  bright colors like orange and fire tiger also.

i do think after dark with lights is a more efficient way to catch them though.  its more fisherman friendly too. :)

you guys ever venture back to martin for trout?  i havent spent much time back there myself.  half dozen times maybe.

As I indicated previously if I'm really serious about trolling I will sew on a shiner behind a size 0 chrome dodger. I've had trout hit that time after time and not a hit on any kind of artificial. I think trout do a lot of following and the flash of the dodger brings them in and also adds action to the shiner. And then when they get up close they can smell the bait.

I haven't been on Martin in a long time. Probably would be easier to find the trout as the trout layer probably gets quite narrow.

BTW the 4 cycle 8 horse Yamaha I bought used last year works like a charm. Starts right up and idles down to nothing!  Very quiet! I need to have a back trolling plate made and do some back trolling with this motor!

rivereddy

« Reply #5 on: Aug 15, 2017, 09:21 AM »
Anyone ever try with "cowbells"  I really need to get back up to that area.

fish on,

rivereddy

taxid

« Reply #6 on: Aug 15, 2017, 12:50 PM »
Anyone ever try with "cowbells"  I really need to get back up to that area.

fish on,

rivereddy

I used to use a cowbell rig years ago with a shiner sewed on and caught rainbows, browns, and lake trout when the lake trout were still in the lake. I used a heavier rod with a level wind reel but it wasn't much sport bringing them in though.

Gartoon

« Reply #7 on: Aug 16, 2017, 11:15 AM »
Going to another lake on the west side of the state to do some night fishing with submerged  lights .
Do you guys every come up with rainbows with this kind of set up ?

Green submerged lights with jigging rapalas?

taxid

« Reply #8 on: Aug 16, 2017, 01:44 PM »
Going to another lake on the west side of the state to do some night fishing with submerged  lights .
Do you guys every come up with rainbows with this kind of set up ?

Green submerged lights with jigging rapalas?

I've done it many times for rainbows. It's one of the most effective ways to limit out in the summer. However we used slip bobber rigs and night crawlers.

Gartoon

« Reply #9 on: Aug 16, 2017, 02:48 PM »
Thanks
Ill let you know how we do .

Bob

taxid

« Reply #10 on: Aug 16, 2017, 09:17 PM »
Thanks
Ill let you know how we do .

Bob

What lake are you going to that is planted with trout on the western side of the state? I can't think of one over there.

Gartoon

« Reply #11 on: Aug 17, 2017, 02:13 AM »
Saugney over in La Porte Co.
Near Rolling Prairie
Conservation Club stocks yearly  ;D

taxid

« Reply #12 on: Aug 17, 2017, 03:11 PM »
Saugney over in La Porte Co.
Near Rolling Prairie
Conservation Club stocks yearly  ;D

Interesting. Never heard of it.

Does it have deep water and good water quality for holdover?

taxid

« Reply #13 on: Aug 17, 2017, 03:12 PM »
yes jigging raps work under lights.  we used to always have one in the boat ready to deploy.  at clear the eyes would come up and slash at the bait ball.  tried all kinds of jigs but none got bit very often.  when we switched to jigging rap they hammered it!  we would have 1-4 keepers every night with it up there.  and yes the trout liked them too.

good luck over there, but you wont need it. ;D

Did you ever try live minnows on a slip bobber? We tried it but always caught more fish on crawlers.

Gartoon

« Reply #14 on: Aug 17, 2017, 03:49 PM »
60ft deep and crystal clear
Trout seem to do quite well

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.