FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Crayfish in Massachusetts  (Read 6976 times)

hi4noon

Crayfish in Massachusetts
« on: Aug 15, 2017, 03:44 PM »
Hi everyone,. I've been away for fishing for about 10 years now, ever since I graduated college. Can anyone recommend good places to catch crayfish?? My brother in law's birthday is in 2 weeks and I'd love take him fishing if I can catch enough crayfish before then. I live up in Methuen, MA so anything up here or even down around Lexington where he lives would be perfect. Thanks in advance.

lowaccord66

Re: Crayfish in Massachusetts
« Reply #1 on: Aug 15, 2017, 04:11 PM »
Tackle shops near quabbin sell them otherwise most rocky streams will have some.

ICEHOLE

« Reply #2 on: Aug 15, 2017, 04:58 PM »
rocky slow moving streams will be easiest to find and catch...some seem to be loaded more then others..i know a great spot but long ways from u
Trout, LMB, SMB, BullHeads, Lakers, Pike, Carp

CatchAndReleaseColin

« Reply #3 on: Aug 15, 2017, 05:28 PM »
Call around to the tackle shops first - they come thru as bait sometimes
Otherwise they should be easy enough to find and catch.  They are everywhere around Wachusett res

hi4noon

« Reply #4 on: Aug 15, 2017, 06:20 PM »
Thanks for your responses guys. Yea I know they're in most bodies of water but I was hoping to save a day of driving around in search of a hot spot if someone living in North Eastern MA saw this post. I called a couple bait should but no luck.... Hopefully someone local to me sees this. thanks again!

The Jigger

• Member of the G.O.D.S.
« Reply #5 on: Aug 15, 2017, 07:24 PM »
Plugs pond Haverhill after dark

Knot there yet

« Reply #6 on: Aug 15, 2017, 09:25 PM »
Merrimack river .
rubber boots walk the bank scoop out ever beer can you find should be trapped inside can. A long dip net will help you reach farther.
Trull Brook golf coarse ponds. Minnow traps
 Power bait 4" chigger crawls (motor oil) weighted hook. My number one plastic bait.for my $$

Fishermantim

• I go where the water takes me!
« Reply #7 on: Aug 16, 2017, 09:51 AM »
I used to catch them in Jamaica Pond whenever I wanted to try something other than worms.
See a rock in the water, lift the rock, check for crawfish, catch crawfish!

Get a minnow trap. You can buy one or make your own (look online for "how-to")
Set trap in an area you want to check, leave it overnight and check it the next day.
(Crawfish are more active at night.)

I've seen some that were 5-7" long, but that was years ago.
Heck, I've even gotten a couple of blue crawfish when I was younger.

The one rule I adhere to (just like lobstermen do) is I don't take eggers!
If the crawfish has eggs, it goes back right where I got it.

You can also get them in many sizes, unless you want all one size, then it may be worth buying them then.

In any case, good luck!
"God is playing to an audience that's afraid to laugh" (George Burns from "Oh, GOD")

"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!" - The Existential Blues

hi4noon

« Reply #8 on: Aug 17, 2017, 07:31 AM »
Went to plug pond last night.  Up to my knees in water turning rocks but found nothing :( I know they're there because i saw a carcass and a couple abandoned traps, but they must be pretty deep....

deerhunter

« Reply #9 on: Aug 17, 2017, 08:20 AM »
farm ponds and golf course. outlet brooks of small ponds at nite

The Jigger

• Member of the G.O.D.S.
« Reply #10 on: Aug 17, 2017, 11:18 AM »
Went to plug pond last night.  Up to my knees in water turning rocks but found nothing :( I know they're there because i saw a carcass and a couple abandoned traps, but they must be pretty deep....
Do you have a trap?
If you do catch a couple of pumpkinseeds and cut them up and put them in the trap overnight in the cove area where the brook runs out.

fishlessman

« Reply #11 on: Aug 24, 2017, 01:26 PM »
never went looking for them but might try the spicket below the dam area if i did, behind where dicks tv used to be as it goes thru that small park

Steve H.

« Reply #12 on: Aug 24, 2017, 02:40 PM »

Plugs is where I used to get them many years ago as a kid.  Right in the weeds by the launch.  Used to just drag a hand net through the weeds and scoop 'em up.  Would have likely been in the spring though.

They're in there.
It is understood that fishing licenses, gas, bait, etc., all cost money, but try not to let a limit of trout be your only gauge for success. – Ben Nugent, (NH F&G) Regional Fisheries Biologist

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.