FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: New PB Salmon  (Read 2403 times)

Baitbucket

New PB Salmon
« on: Aug 17, 2017, 11:43 AM »
Hit the Q at gate 8 last weekend. Wanted to test out my newly rebuilt trolling motor and planer boards, which worked great.

Wwas on the water shortly after 6am. I have never seen so much action ontop of the water at Quabbin. Dozens of what im guessing were rainbows or salmon were cruising the surface with their back fin and tail tips sticking out of the water.

I had one rod out on the laner board using lead core, and another rod on the down rigger. I was trolling live shiners on both rods. After my first pass without hooking up i decided to check my bait. I pulled the line in off the planer board, and there was a fish on it!! It never came unclipped and the fish never pulled on the line hard enough to indicate there was something on. It was just swimming along with the bait in its mouth/hooked. This proved to be my PB salmon and put up a nice fight once it knew what was going on. I got the second fish on the other rod. Came up as dead weight with very little fight. Gave a little run at the boat but that was it. Was a nice Laker around 4lbs. I had several hit and misses as well. Aa couple on the planerboard, but for some reason it wasnt unclipping, even when set to barley any pressure. Ill have to toy with the best tension.

Check out the video below for pics, and the weight on my New PB Salmon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0bGQjtD7_E

The Jigger

• Member of the G.O.D.S.
Re: New PB Salmon
« Reply #1 on: Aug 17, 2017, 11:48 AM »
Congrats Wil. Nice fish.  :thumbup_smilie: :thumbup_smilie:

lowaccord66

« Reply #2 on: Aug 17, 2017, 12:44 PM »
Very nice.  Those salmon are addictive!  Saturday cant come quickly enough!

Baitbucket

« Reply #3 on: Aug 17, 2017, 04:40 PM »
Very nice.  Those salmon are addictive!  Saturday cant come quickly enough!

Looks like it could get nasty:

Saturday - A chance of showers and thunderstorms, mainly between 11am and 5pm. Some of the storms could produce heavy rain. Patchy fog before 9am.

stripernut

« Reply #4 on: Aug 17, 2017, 05:07 PM »
Nice Salmon and I was having fun painting the house... NOT!

lowaccord66

« Reply #5 on: Aug 17, 2017, 05:15 PM »
Looks like it could get nasty:

Saturday - A chance of showers and thunderstorms, mainly between 11am and 5pm. Some of the storms could produce heavy rain. Patchy fog before 9am.

Excellent!  I dislike fair weather days there.  Have done well but prefer poor weather.  Here's the forecast I read:

http://forecast.weather.gov/product.php?site=BOX&issuedby=BOX&product=AFD&format=CI&version=1&glossary=1&highlight=off

Note in the discussion the location where they suspect thunderstorm development.  The general forecast is painted eith broad strokes for the general public.  I prefer the details in the discussion.

Baitbucket

« Reply #6 on: Aug 17, 2017, 05:40 PM »
Excellent!  I dislike fair weather days there.  Have done well but prefer poor weather.  Here's the forecast I read:

http://forecast.weather.gov/product.php?site=BOX&issuedby=BOX&product=AFD&format=CI&version=1&glossary=1&highlight=off

Note in the discussion the location where they suspect thunderstorm development.  The general forecast is painted eith broad strokes for the general public.  I prefer the details in the discussion.

Im supposed to go camping with the wife and kids on the cape Fri-Mon. But its up in the air at the moment. 2 days for storm and winds up to 40 have me a little concerned. Especially being in a tent..

fishsluggos

« Reply #7 on: Aug 17, 2017, 07:11 PM »
Nice salmon Will! Gate 8 to boot.  ;D

This is what I use for planer board clips. Best price I have found here.

http://www.jannsnetcraft.com/planer-board-releases/023072191100.aspx

FWIW, LC can be tricky on any clips. I've found letting the LC all the way out and clipping onto the backing. That's why some rods are rigged with just 1 or 2 or 3 colors.

YMMV

boondox

« Reply #8 on: Aug 17, 2017, 07:26 PM »
Nice salmon!!! is that a Alantic salmon??

trophyhntr

« Reply #9 on: Aug 17, 2017, 07:49 PM »
impressive salmon! must have felt even more rewarding getting it on the homemade planer! nicely done

lowaccord66

« Reply #10 on: Aug 17, 2017, 08:09 PM »
Nice salmon Will! Gate 8 to boot.  ;D

This is what I use for planer board clips. Best price I have found here.

http://www.jannsnetcraft.com/planer-board-releases/023072191100.aspx

FWIW, LC can be tricky on any clips. I've found letting the LC all the way out and clipping onto the backing. That's why some rods are rigged with just 1 or 2 or 3 colors.

YMMV

You got that right!  Thanks for the suggestions the other day.  Turns out I have both patterns in db smelt! 

taxid

« Reply #11 on: Aug 17, 2017, 08:23 PM »
Nice salmon!!! is that a Alantic salmon??

I hope Baitbucket doesn't mind me answering your question. Yes the only salmon in Quabbin reservoir are landlocked salmon. Either Baitbucket or one of the other guys here said they are naturally reproduced along with the lake trout. Pretty cool huh?

I've fished Quabbin reservoir a few times and not only was the fishing good but the scenery is magnificent. No houses on the 25,000 acre reservoir whatsoever. All protected. That said the reservoir has a required mandatory boat inspection and once you take your boat somewhere else (break a seal attached after inspection) you need to have it reinspected. They are trying to protect the reservoir from mussels and other exotics.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

taxid

« Reply #12 on: Aug 17, 2017, 08:30 PM »
Nice well fed salmon Baitbucket! Not skinny like some I've seen from other places up there.

Congrats.

I know a taxidermist in NH that could do an awesome replica or skin mount of a fish like that. He mostly teaches fish taxidermy but  is an outstanding fish taxidermist. He's not cheap though!

https://anglersartistry.com/store/
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

200fisher

« Reply #13 on: Aug 17, 2017, 08:39 PM »
Congrats! Nice looking salmon.
“Half the people I know are below average"  -Steven Wright

boondox

« Reply #14 on: Aug 17, 2017, 09:24 PM »
I hope Baitbucket doesn't mind me answering your question. Yes the only salmon in Quabbin reservoir are landlocked salmon. Either Baitbucket or one of the other guys here said they are naturally reproduced along with the lake trout. Pretty cool huh?

I've fished Quabbin reservoir a few times and not only was the fishing good but the scenery is magnificent. No houses on the 25,000 acre reservoir whatsoever. All protected. That said the reservoir has a required mandatory boat inspection and once you take your boat somewhere else (break a seal attached after inspection) you need to have it reinspected. They are trying to protect the reservoir from mussels and other exotics.

Thank you sir. Was just wondering if it was Alantic they just started planting those in the last 5 years in the great lakes like lake huron.. my personal best is a 30 lb king taken from the Manistee river not as pretty as the Alantic in bait buckets video but for sure a nice fish..I think I still got pictures of it..

any how very fat healthy looking fish Bait bucket... that's what you want yo see when you catch them.. shows they got good forage on the lake your fishing..

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.