FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Detour  (Read 772 times)

bogtrotter

Detour
« on: Aug 19, 2017, 06:44 PM »
Today was Greek Fest in Pittsfield, so I headed down there for my annual helping of gyros, spanakopota, souvlaki, grape leaves and baklava.

On my way home, I made a slight detour to West Housatonic Street, and did some fishing from 12:30 p.m. to a little after 3 p.m.

The weather: sunny, humid, 85 degrees, water levels fairly low.

First, I fished downstream from the Greendale Avenue bridge, and caught some small (5" to 8") perch and dace.
Along the way, I saw a great blue heron. (My third this week - - I sighted the other two earlier in the week on the North Hoosic and the South Hoosic).

Then I back-tracked to my car and drove down to the Clapp Park trestle, where I landed a 14" rainbow and two big (12") dace.

Next, I made a larger detour to Dalton, to fish the East Housatonic.

I started by the Depot Street dam, where I eventually reeled in a 12" brown, while a tiny (3" diameter shell) snapping turtle swam around and looked on.

While making my way back to my car, I nearly stepped on a larger (10" diameter shell) snapping turtle, lying on the grass next to the sidewalk.

I drove downstream to East Housatonic Street, and parked on a side street by the bridge. I fished below the small waterfall and landed a 7" brown and a 10" brookie.

As I returned to my car to drive home, I picked up a few beer cans and spotted (although I didn't pick it up) a Portugese wine from a vineyard (wish I could remember the name) established in (I think it was) 1247. Pretty wild how ancient some things are back in the "old country."

lowaccord66

Re: Detour
« Reply #1 on: Aug 20, 2017, 08:23 AM »
Nice trip Jim. 

bogtrotter

« Reply #2 on: Aug 20, 2017, 09:42 AM »
Thanks,Iowa!

lowaccord66

« Reply #3 on: Aug 20, 2017, 01:27 PM »
Anytime.  One of these days I should throw the flyrod in the car and join you.  I like spot hopping when I fish down here. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.