FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Silver carp on the Tippe  (Read 2910 times)

abishop

Re: Silver carp on the Tippe
« Reply #15 on: Sep 20, 2017, 04:20 AM »
Saw a special on tv a while back and they are harvesting the meat and selling it in hotdogs and bologna to third world countries.

bigr

« Reply #16 on: Sep 20, 2017, 04:49 AM »
I agree fishhogger. That's why you may see them called SILVER FIsh at some restaurants down south that are trying to serve them. They will do their best to market them under another name. I think right know the best hope for use is in the ag business as fertilizer or feed.

taxid

« Reply #17 on: Sep 20, 2017, 05:05 PM »
I agree fishhogger. That's why you may see them called SILVER FIsh at some restaurants down south that are trying to serve them. They will do their best to market them under another name. I think right know the best hope for use is in the ag business as fertilizer or feed.

I wonder if they have thiaminase as in alewives, gizzard shad, suckers, and smelt?
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

rivereddy

« Reply #18 on: Oct 02, 2017, 02:25 PM »
I live a few miles from White River in Indy and stopped, on my way home, and checked out a couple of my usual haunts.
At a meeting of "river watchers" called The Friends of White River last spring a speaker from the DNR addressed the topic
of spraying the milfoil that infested the river the last few summers.  (The crazy wet spring this year prevented it from taking off
this summer.)  As he was leaving, I asked him about the presence of Asian carp in this area. The invasives have been found down stream of Broad Ripple but none above the dam.  They are a big water fish and the hope is that the upstream flow is insufficient
to sustain them in large numbers.  This afternoon I could see the bottom of the river almost everywhere and while I saw plenty of
fish, (and many naturalized carp) I saw no silver, black or big head. I guess that's good news

fish on,

rivereddy

Jig_Head

« Reply #19 on: Oct 03, 2017, 03:40 PM »
I caught I'd say 8 - 10 of them at Oakdale dam last week while fishing for whites/hybrids. I had no idea they hit lures!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.