FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Massachusetts Pond pictures from 1911  (Read 2860 times)

taxid

Massachusetts Pond pictures from 1911
« on: Sep 12, 2017, 08:35 PM »
Can you guess what pond it is? It's not on the cape. If no one guesses I will provide clues.

Looking North:

Looking East

Looking NNW:

“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

deerhunter

Re: Massachusetts Pond pictures from 1911
« Reply #1 on: Sep 13, 2017, 07:17 AM »
its not real hilly so its not out west. probably southeastern ma. maybe manchuag

Bass to mouth

« Reply #2 on: Sep 13, 2017, 07:48 AM »
Comet

lowaccord66

« Reply #3 on: Sep 13, 2017, 08:50 AM »
No clue but thanks for sharing the pictures.

taxid

« Reply #4 on: Sep 13, 2017, 09:22 AM »
Not Comet or Manchuag.

Here are some clues:

It's still undeveloped and will stay that way.

It hasn't been surveyed by Massachusetts Fish & Wildlife in decades.  

It's open to the public and has been planted with four species of trout: brook, brown, rainbows, and tigers. Also has largemouth bass, bluegill, yellow perch, and pumpkinseeds.

It's 35 acres and max depth is quite deep in the mid 60 foot range.

The name was changed at one point.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

The Jigger

• Member of the G.O.D.S.
« Reply #5 on: Sep 13, 2017, 10:21 AM »
Hell Pond changed to Mirror lake Devens,MA

taxid

« Reply #6 on: Sep 13, 2017, 12:33 PM »

Bingo!

Will post a link to the survey done back in 1911 by a Game Warden that goes along with the pictures, as I think you guys will get a kick out of it.  Back then it consisted of fishing, a conversation with local anglers, and  depth sounding through the ice. It was already stocked with trout just before the survey and the U.S. Fish Commission stocked it with red horse suckers? (See survey) Back then the U.S. Fish Commission planted fish via railroad just about everywhere with no plan or idea what it would do to native stocks.

I do have a question though for anyone that knows anything about the local Native Americans:

Beside the name Hell Pond in the survey it has in parenthesis (Shabokin P).  Could this be the original Native American name? Or perhaps who he got the reference for the name from?  I was not able to find it in any Nipmunk or Mohican dictionary.

I did contact an guy that teaches the Nipmuck language but have not heard back from him yet.

Going to contact the Fruitland Museum nearby and see what they have to say.

I'm into New England history as my ancestors came to the area in 1650. Original last name was Beard changed to Baird. Even had a book written about them. One of them got temporality banished from the church for fishing on the Sabbath (netting Shad in the Connecticut River). At first his attitude was no big loss but he changed his mind.  My how times have changed.

taxid

« Reply #7 on: Sep 13, 2017, 02:06 PM »

After some study it appears (Shabokin P) simply means Shabokin Pond. Only word I can find in Algonquin similar is Shamokin which means welcome or welcome village. Also translated as place of eels. Doubt it ever had eels as I believe there has to be an inlet somewhere for that?

Gotta go break's over. Need to get back painting a musky.  Fun to paint but no fun to skin out! Getting everything out of the head is a nightmare!

Rally

« Reply #8 on: Sep 24, 2017, 07:00 AM »

Dick , didn't you take that picture
Member of G. O. D. S.

elevatorman

• Finally made it on to team Lund ! 18 Sport Angler.
« Reply #9 on: Sep 24, 2017, 07:19 AM »
Lmao! ;D
Lifes journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in awell preserved body; but rather to skid in side ways totally worn out shouting (holy sh*t)  WHAT A RIDE! FISH ON!.

The Jigger

• Member of the G.O.D.S.
« Reply #10 on: Sep 24, 2017, 09:27 AM »

Ya ,don't you remember. You were next to me. ;D ;D

taxid

« Reply #11 on: Sep 24, 2017, 02:55 PM »

That's too funny. You young whippersnappers thing anyone over 50 is old!

taxid

« Reply #12 on: Sep 24, 2017, 03:10 PM »
Thought I would add this thanks to someone named Brian on Long Island and Kara who is a curator at the Ft. Devens Military Museum. The info comes from a text on Harvard (the town not the university).

Shabokin Pond, Worcester County, Mass. Natick, ''place of the

departed" (chepiohkomuk) or "hell." Variants, Shabikin,

Shabbiikin, Chabikkin.

Hey maybe the Native Americans had funeral ceremonies there once? Might explain why I thought I saw ghosts there after dark as a kid.  ;D

swamp hawgs

« Reply #13 on: Sep 27, 2017, 07:52 AM »

Doubt it ever had eels as I believe there has to be an inlet somewhere for that?

i have pond in plymouth no  outlets or inlets. all ground water with eels! havent seen many but ive seen some big ones!

taxid

« Reply #14 on: Sep 27, 2017, 11:00 AM »
i have pond in plymouth no  outlets or inlets. all ground water with eels! havent seen many but ive seen some big ones!

Very interesting. Apparently they don't need an inlet or outlet to the sea to spawn? Must be different species that require different things?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.