FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Navigability Laws  (Read 1528 times)

Edge

Re: Navigability Laws
« Reply #1 on: Sep 19, 2017, 06:15 AM »
https://www.in.gov/nrc/2393.htm

Here is the list if anyone is interested.  Many streams aren't listed as either. 

bigr

« Reply #2 on: Sep 19, 2017, 11:29 AM »
As long as your floating and do not attach to the bottom or any structure attached to the ground you can fish it. Most property surveys include the land under the water which the owner of the land has the right to post. The owner also owns the mineral rights and timber. You need know who owns the surveyed property. Private or state of Indiana. I would guess that most of the property the water flows over is privately owned. The water is public and as long as its deemed navigable you can legally float and fish it.   

Boomer

« Reply #3 on: Sep 19, 2017, 11:32 AM »
There is a section of the Whitewater River where the land and water is owned by the landowner. It is the only place in Indiana where this occurs. Weird.

gundogwanted

Equal Billing: Crankbait degrees; Typically, the narrower the bill, the tighter the wiggle; the wider the bill, the wider the wobble.

rivereddy

« Reply #5 on: Sep 19, 2017, 06:11 PM »
Here is where life gets interesting.....I can't speak to timber rights as I have never had to deal with the issue, but, as I understand it, most property owners in to not own the mineral rights their own property.  Mining interests lobbied for this way back in the day'

fish on,

rivereddy

Boomer

« Reply #6 on: Sep 20, 2017, 07:04 AM »
do you know why? 

It dates back to the beginning of Indiana. Probably had to do with the Whitewater Canal system. It is the only place in Indiana where you can get caught trespassing while ON the water. Never heard of anyone having trouble but it is possible. When I worked on the Blue River near Corydon we were told that as long as you did not touch bottom you were OK. More of a problem when canoes beached on private land and left a mess.

bigr

« Reply #7 on: Sep 20, 2017, 08:43 AM »
There's a small section of Salamonie river that citations have been giving for trespassing to people that anchored. Land owner strictly enforces it or atleast several years ago he did. Co's and county sheriff hated his calls but had to enforce the law. Owner had it well posted and I think people just didn't believe he actual could do that. There are several land owners along the Wabash that will ask you to pull up anchor or keep wading thru or else. I suppose I might feel the same as some do if I owned a section of land that had a navigable river running over if it was a special hole and bought for that reason. Just like a private pond.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.