FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Favorite Reel  (Read 10966 times)

bassjunky

• MFF Mod Team
  • Team Ontario
Re: Favorite Reel
« Reply #15 on: Jun 29, 2010, 07:45 AM »
Shimano Stradic no questions, I have tried dozens of reels from many companies, but the stradic is the best.

As for bait casters, thats a toss-up, I love my curado's, but I also have a some diawa viento's which are great for certain things and this year I bought my first Johnny Morris, elite (i think) and that thing is sweet. great quality reel.

ma_fisherman

« Reply #16 on: Nov 11, 2010, 11:08 PM »
For 80 bucks you cant go wrong with the Shimano Sahara.  Ive owned more expensive such as the quantum catalyst and the abu garcia soron which both run about 130-140.  Ive found the Sahara to be every bit as good if not better than those more expensive models.  I see many on here are raving about the Shimano stradic which costs about double the sahara but im thinking may well be worth it. Shimano has won me over and if im gonna spend big money on another reel im thinking the Stradic would be a good candidate for next season.  Interesting to hear all the opinions.

archer71xx

« Reply #17 on: Mar 07, 2011, 10:21 AM »
Favorite spinning reel: Shimano Stella 2500
Used most spinning reel: Shimano Stradic 1000

Favorite baitcasting reel: Shimano Metanium Mg7
Used most baitcasting reel: Shimano Chronarch Mg50

I also love the the Stradic, I have 2 1000's for panfish and trout and 1 5000 for striper and bigger fish. Do you own Stella and if so how do you like her? I have the hots for her I'll admit but she is up to 699 for the 1000, I could buy almost 5 Stradics for that. I still can't go to a store or sports show and not play with her, she is soooo smooooth.(SOMEDAY SHE WILL BE MINE) ;D
Mamma Always Said Fishing Is Like Going To Thailand - You Never Know What You're Gonna Catch

The Legend

« Reply #18 on: Mar 09, 2011, 02:17 PM »
i gotta go with the diawa BG10 cant go wrong with em !! ;D

slipperybob

« Reply #19 on: Mar 13, 2011, 04:15 AM »
I also love the the Stradic, I have 2 1000's for panfish and trout and 1 5000 for striper and bigger fish. Do you own Stella and if so how do you like her? I have the hots for her I'll admit but she is up to 699 for the 1000, I could buy almost 5 Stradics for that. I still can't go to a store or sports show and not play with her, she is soooo smooooth.(SOMEDAY SHE WILL BE MINE) ;D

I own two older ones back when they were only $500.  Fishing with a Stella is just like fishing with a delicate high precision machine.  It's a joy to fish with but practicality isn't a neccessity.  It's more of a personal collector and I bring it out once on a while only on good weather days.  The smoothness in operation blows away typical reels and redifines what smooth drag and reel operation is.  Anyway I would fish my Sustains and Stradics in storms for their more practical use.
Slip bobber fishing and ice lounger.

Slipperybob's Wish to Fish and MN Dish...Journal

warbonnett

« Reply #20 on: Mar 28, 2011, 08:08 PM »
Some 40+ years ago I bought my wife and I two mitchell 300s, they were top of line back then. Also got two 302s for salt water, liked them, problem with the old 300s was it was before the skirted spools came out and the line kept getting under the spool and you had to take the spool off to untangle it! after that it was the Diawe with skirted spools for me.

fishlessman

« Reply #21 on: Apr 20, 2011, 08:12 AM »
my diawa whisker ss 1300 has been my workhorse for a long time, it seems to be indestructable ;D not real smooth, kinda clunky, drag works well. i think the price is the same as when i bought it, seems like 20 years ago. just bought a pflueger patriarch this winter, really light and smooth, like the bail spring click, dont think it will stand the test of time though. have caught 2 shimanos while fishing over the years, might nail them to the camp ;D i fish with the bass folks from time to time, they all have shimanos an have all picked on my gear over the years, when i fish with them i bring this setup, its my favorite for catching bass when im with a shimano head ;D

Clam Sr.

« Reply #22 on: Apr 21, 2011, 08:30 AM »
I fell in love with the Pt series of reels by Quantum many years ago, and have bought 7 or 8 since then. I've got the Catalyst, Energy, and Tour Edition in spinning or casting and love them all. Last year I picked up an Abu Garcia Soron Stx and fell in love. This year, I snagged a new Pfleuger Supreme XT and was blown away. I highly recommend any of these reels.

ma_fisherman

« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2011, 01:02 PM »
clam- your right about the new supreme xt...it is quite an impressive reel as is the new patriarch spinning.  Pflueger has does a nice job of producing some premium reels at a fair price.

As for the the quantum pt's.....i tend to agree with your overall take on these reels.  quantum had a reputation of making unreliable reels but since the introductions of these pt series reels i think the quality has improved significantly.  They make the best bails in the business.  the magnetic bail does not get gummy like other bails nor do you have to worry about a spring breaking which is a common occurence with my shimano bails.  The bails are also made of a titanium  alloy that is as solid as they come.  I also think that the vacuum deposition coating that some of the pt's have is great because it reduces boat rash and cosmetically these reels hold up.  Quantum also had one of the best line management systems in my opinion....their "lms" does a good job of cutting down on wind knots and aiding in casting with the line able to flow freely and smoothly off the reel.

My main gripes with quantum are that they are built like tanks.  some of the newer pt models have gotten a bit lighter but overall they are still one of the heavier reels being made.  i have also noticed and heard from others of a recurring issue with quantum reels where they squeak when retrieved very slowly....its an unmistakeable squeak that ive noticed on a couple of my quantums right out of the box and ive heard others complain of the same thing.  It doesnt seem to affect performance, however, and does not get any progressively worse so i guess it's something that can be dealt with.

STRIPERMANCL

« Reply #24 on: Mar 26, 2013, 01:08 PM »
penn battle

danny b

• northernnnnnnns!
« Reply #25 on: Mar 26, 2013, 02:00 PM »
Baitcaster is my daiwa t3 ballistic
Spinning is my okuma trios

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor