FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Hornpout  (Read 19389 times)

hook-set

Re: Hornpout
« Reply #15 on: Apr 22, 2011, 08:10 PM »
I FORGET THE NAME OF THE POND IN AUBURN MIGHT BE PERKINS ?MILL POND MIGHT HAVE THEM ALSO ..BUT DUBIES IN HOOKSET IS LOADED AND IF BIGGER ONES ARE WHAT YOUR LOOKING FOR TRY PURGATORY POND IN HOOKSET ...

hunterdan67

« Reply #16 on: Jul 21, 2015, 02:33 PM »
NH F&G no longer stocks walleye.  They don't bother because NH's geology isn't conducive to them.  There is one place where they thrive, however.  The CT River.  From About Woodsville down to the MA border.

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #17 on: Jul 21, 2015, 02:48 PM »
What does this have to do with bullheads? 
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

haightdaddy

« Reply #18 on: Jul 21, 2015, 04:03 PM »
I do well with a piece of hotdog on the hook

bikrsrule

« Reply #19 on: Jul 21, 2015, 05:07 PM »
I can add Hoit marsh on hoit marsh rd in Loudon/concord..

fisherhawk55

« Reply #20 on: Jul 21, 2015, 07:09 PM »
Chicken liver hearts at night or stinky cheese balls at night and if get stung rub the slime on the belly on the sting site to stop the pain  ;)

Clams

• All day, every day!
« Reply #21 on: Jul 21, 2015, 07:28 PM »
haightdaddy called it with hotdogs. If pouts are around, they can't resist them! Most lakes and ponds in nh have them.

fisherhawk55

« Reply #22 on: Jul 21, 2015, 08:19 PM »
They are natures vacum cleaners they will eat anything on the bottom they can digest I have chaught them on a mackerel jig off the bottom with worms on the river when I was a kid filled buckets anything that has a scent trail fun to catch I miss hitting the lake or river on a hot moon lit night tight lines guys post picks I might take my boy out for a few

dunphy11

« Reply #23 on: Jul 22, 2015, 05:15 AM »
As everyone says they are in every pond or lake. Nighttime is the time to put your efforts in. As most any old timer (i`m almost there) will tell you find places where you get fish with white bellies, the ones with the yellow bellies are less desireable. A can of cat food dogfood tuna, tied securely to a line, punch holes in the can and throw  it out , the dinner bell has rung.

swnoel

« Reply #24 on: Jul 22, 2015, 03:20 PM »
I caught one trolling in a pond with a Rapala!!

Mr.Harry

« Reply #25 on: Jul 22, 2015, 03:58 PM »
yep, I caught one in Hlls Pond (Alton NH) on a hula popper at dusk. Too funny. Forever remembered and respected as "The Renegade Hornpout" . 'Eff this bottom dwelling, stink-bait eating, nocturnal bs! I'm hitting the high road and getting after the top water!'. One of the more surprising things that has happened at the end of a fishing line for me. As for best eaters, cusk. Gotta wait for the ice though....

Clams

• All day, every day!
« Reply #26 on: Jul 22, 2015, 04:06 PM »
Insert Quote

Ive caught them casting trout spinners and small tube jigs targeting trout. They will chase down a meal if they are hungry.

Weird thing is during ice season I've caught horn pout a few feet under the ice in 30 feet of water during the night........ ???

hunterdan67

« Reply #27 on: Jul 25, 2015, 07:49 AM »
What does this have to do with bullheads? 

What it has to do with is this: Earlier in the thread, someone mentioned walleyes and how they didn't think there were any in NH because they'd never caught one.  They also asked if the state stocked them.  I was just following up, that's all.  Don't jump ugly with me dude, just go back and read the ENTIRE THREAD and you'll see.

hunterdan67

« Reply #28 on: Jul 25, 2015, 07:52 AM »
But since folks want me to stay "on message" - here's a horned pout I caught in the CT river last year - not too far from where I caught the walleye pictured above.  How'd I catch it?  Trolling a perch-colored crankbait for walleyes!  Yes, horned pout may be bottom feeders, but that doesn't mean they won't hit a crankbait every once in awhile.

AquaAssassin

« Reply #29 on: Jul 25, 2015, 08:34 AM »
Big pout !
It’s not being Cocky if you can back it up.

When you’re good at something, you’ll tell everyone. When you’re great at something, they’ll tell you.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.