MyFishFinder By Species > Salmon
Why are they called "steelheads"
(1/3) > >>
jdjyoung:
 My son asked me this question the other day, and I couldn't give him an answer. Sooo.... does anyone have any data or input as to where the name Steelhead came from?

Thanks,

JD
GAMBELL:
Steelhead are rainbow trout that live in salt water and run freshwater streams to spawn (also spend their first parts of life in fresh water).  Yes there are steelhead in the great lakes but, in all reality the are just a rainbow trout.  In the great lakes, native rainbows spawn in the fall and steelhead spawn in the spring. 
Pikeguy:

--- Quote from: GAMBELL on Mar 28, 2006, 02:01 PM ---Steelhead are rainbow trout that live in salt water and run freshwater streams to spawn (also spend their first parts of life in fresh water).  Yes there are steelhead in the great lakes but, in all reality the are just a rainbow trout.  In the great lakes, native rainbows spawn in the fall and steelhead spawn in the spring. 

--- End quote ---

Right. But where does the name itself come from?
bigredfishing:
I always assumed it was from their bluish silver color.

This weekend I really noticed the difference in fight of the domestic 'bows and the chambers creek strain (the strain that DEC stocks in Lake O) steelhead.  The steelhead would take off the instant they were hooked, and tried desperately to get out of the hole.  They were out of the water alot and made incredibly quick direction changes.  The rainbows on the other hand were noticeably slower, and only the bigger fish managed to run out of a hole the hole they were hooked in. 
The domestic strain rainbows tend to revert back to spring spawning after a few years...the DEC trains them to spawn in the fall so that they can deal with spawning the all the trout species at the same time (by modifying the amount of light in the hatchery)
bassjunky:
wow...I just when thru 3 search engines and way to many websites to even count....I cant find anywhere that specifys why they are called "steelhead".

My guess would match BigReds, the colouration not to mention they do not have the stripe like the rainbow so they have even more silver on them.

I did learn more then I ever wanted to know about steelheads, very interesting.
Navigation
Message Index
Next page

Go to full version