FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Landlock Salmon Fishing  (Read 2837 times)

NHAngler

Landlock Salmon Fishing
« on: Apr 01, 2006, 07:28 AM »
This is the 1st year I am going to target landlock salmon in NH.

Just got a new boat this year and hoping to try this out.

I'm going to assume trolling for them is the best method at this time of the year. From what I have heard they are chasing spawning smelt in the shallows. However I still have some questions:

1. Location? (I don't want anyone's spot just what type of water I should be looking for)
2. Depth? Everyone says shallow but is that under 10 feet and how far down should the bait be?
3. Presentation & Bait? smelt? streamers? big spoons? small spoons? a combination of them? fished varying speeds?

Anyone's help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks much,
-Brian (AKA BrianF on IS forums)
Confidence catches fish! The rest of it is just there to keep us busy.

chowdah

Re: Landlock Salmon Fishing
« Reply #1 on: Apr 06, 2006, 07:37 PM »
Check the talk at fishlakewinni.com. these guys basically fish salmon on winni and they give lots of ideas on what there up to. I've fished them a few times each spring. A lot of time spent trolling and changing up gear  etc. when its slow and occasionally having a banner day. I would use smelt and streamers early w/ hardware a little later when they are more active. I plan on fishing for salmon  a lot this year so hopefully will learn more.

chowdah

« Reply #2 on: Apr 10, 2006, 07:31 AM »
our best luck so far is right at surface w/streamers trolling floating fly line. The winnipesaukee smelt tandem always gets hits. Also trolling smelt w/one split shot on line. have you been out yet? any luck?

Zorros shack

• This account is closed.
« Reply #3 on: Mar 10, 2007, 06:35 PM »
Theres good salmon fishing at Alton Bay. The best lure to use is a DB Smelt lure you should use #102,#144.#136 they will work any day!

hamadog

« Reply #4 on: Mar 31, 2007, 06:25 PM »
Flat line smelt and streamers right on top. Troll in a jig-jag pattern and just put enough weight on to keep bait under. As the water warms increase your weight or go to lead core.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.