FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Using Fish Eyes for Open Water Fishing  (Read 9202 times)

reelcharacter

• They call it fishing, not catching, for a reason
Using Fish Eyes for Open Water Fishing
« on: Mar 22, 2004, 10:28 AM »
I have seen quite a bit written on using Perch Eyes for Ice Fishing. There are at least a couple of threads to be found on this at IceShanty.  I have a couple of questions for our wet water fishermen and women.

??? Why Perch Eyes?  ???
 ??? How about other Fish Eyes?  ???
 ??? Do you use Fish Eyes (of any type of fish eye) for open water fishing?  ??? 

I imagine one, (and perhaps the main reason for Perch Eyes), is that they are in plentiful supply during a good bite. Are there other reasons that only Perch Eyes, (over the eyes of other fish), work as bait?

Has anyone else ever tried other fish eyes with good or bad results? Anyone ever tried different fish eyes at the same time, to tell if one one type of fish worked better than another?

Sometimes in the spring, I have run into 6-9” golden shiners as fast as I could cast. I wonder if their eyes would work as well, or for that matter, if Bluegill Eyes would work?

What’s your experience?

Thanks,
-Reelcharacter
Email me to swap information on fishing holes or to go fish'in sometime in the Syracuse Central NY area (Onondaga and Madison county water holes in particular).

Fishingking

Re: Using Fish Eyes for Open Water Fishing
« Reply #1 on: Mar 22, 2004, 04:24 PM »
some states  i think its illega lto use eyes but the reason behind using perch eyes for perch is that perch are canabalistic  and will eat each other so the perch eyes let out blood and get the fish to bite better     i tried using a bluegill eye one day and nothing would touch it 
Team NY 
Was that nice enough for you?

broken rod

• CPR
« Reply #2 on: Mar 22, 2004, 07:13 PM »
ive used bluegill eyes when weve ran out of bait and caught fish on them not alot but a few
tight lines, chuck

suskymusky

« Reply #3 on: Mar 23, 2004, 05:45 AM »
I've only used perch eyes because I saw icefishermen doing it.I'd like to try a walleye eye because of the shine they have.I tried trout guts the one time I ran out of worms, and I caught the rest of my limit with them.Fish are cannibals, so why wouldn't other eyes work?
"IMAGINATION is more important than KNOWLEDGE" Albert Einstein

chrisfrank

« Reply #4 on: Mar 31, 2004, 09:23 AM »
i've used bluegill eyes for bluegill with some success.  i fish for white perch around here, and i'll use their eyes sometimes, usually works pretty well.   i like to use them when the fish are nipping at the baits because they stay on the hook for quite a while

reelcharacter

• They call it fishing, not catching, for a reason
« Reply #5 on: Apr 02, 2004, 11:17 PM »
I recently received a neat photo of a fish eye removal tool. The person makes a pretty neat looking gadget for $5.00. Figure I can't beat that, plus it just seems right to have a home made tool in the vest pocket rather than something made in Tiawan, (or is it China these days)?

I will ask him to post the information here.

-Reelcharacter
Email me to swap information on fishing holes or to go fish'in sometime in the Syracuse Central NY area (Onondaga and Madison county water holes in particular).

shiner

« Reply #6 on: Apr 03, 2004, 08:23 AM »
Thanks reelcharacter !  Have not figured out how to post pictures yet . But if any one is interested in the d-eyer you can e-mail me at [email protected] and I will send you more info.
       Thanks SHINER 8)

shiner

« Reply #7 on: Sep 18, 2004, 08:29 PM »
Thanks reelcharacter !  Have not figured out how to post pictures yet . But if any one is interested in the d-eyer you can e-mail me at [email protected] and I will send you more info.
       Thanks SHINER 8)

Still $5.00 !  Won't be long to hardwater. ;)
                                                                  SHINER  8)

shiner

« Reply #8 on: Mar 03, 2005, 04:54 PM »
Still making them ! $5.00 includes  shipping and handling .    ;)       SHINER 8)

archbishop

« Reply #9 on: Mar 29, 2005, 08:54 AM »
i just keep a paperclip in my pocket i keep one bend in it and staighten the rest out i sqeeze the cheek just a little put the hook in the clip around the eye and pull take longer to get the clip out of your pocket than to pop the eye out

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.