FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Bow opinions  (Read 7323 times)

Pikeguy

Bow opinions
« on: Aug 01, 2006, 07:31 AM »
Ok, so MHF is obviously pretty dead right now so I'll try this here. I am currently considering buying a new compound bow. There are lots of new companies out there right now producing some really nice bows. Makes it pretty hard to narrow the field..especially as I live in a fairly rural area so I don't have easy access to a quality archery shop to shoot their bows. So I guess I'm just looking for opinions on any of the new stuff out there (except Mathews) I'm thinking Bowtech or Parker or something along those lines. Any input would be appreciated.  ;D

Adam

Fishingking

Re: Bow opinions
« Reply #1 on: Aug 01, 2006, 07:33 AM »
Cant you try bows out at Cabela's?   or is that too far away for you :)  Sorry i dont Hunt and know nothing about it.
Team NY 
Was that nice enough for you?

Pikeguy

« Reply #2 on: Aug 01, 2006, 07:36 AM »
Cant you try bows out at Cabela's?   or is that too far away for you :)  Sorry i dont Hunt and know nothing about it.

It's an hour and a half or so to the closest one. Not too bad, but I just don't get time to do that lately :-\

oakorchardfishking

• "Another satisfied WNY union member."
« Reply #3 on: Aug 01, 2006, 07:53 AM »
Is there a reason you dont like MATHEWS products?
I was thinking about buying one this year and its the MATHEWS SWITCHBACK XT

Pikeguy

« Reply #4 on: Aug 01, 2006, 07:59 AM »
Is there a reason you dont like MATHEWS products?
I was thinking about buying one this year and its the MATHEWS SWITCHBACK XT

Not a dislike, just not looking to spend quite that much. Now, I will say this... a few years ago I would agree that nothing could compare to a Mathews. But now I feel like the competition is catching up and are putting out some high quality bows at much more reasonable prices ;)

flipstick

« Reply #5 on: Aug 01, 2006, 08:04 AM »
My last two bows have been reflex's and I really like them.  They are basicly a hoyt with a lower price tag and the new ones have some nice features that I wish mine had.  I think most of the bow manufacturers are pretty good any more, though.

archbishop

« Reply #6 on: Aug 01, 2006, 08:33 AM »
personally im a hoyt guy, i have a dislike for mathews, i have seen 4 limbs break personally, one guy had fragments lodged in his cheek, all the others were fine, just scared as heck, i have only seen 1 non mathews bow snap and it was an 24-25 year old no name bow, i guess just from my personal ewxperiances i will never buy a mathews, add that in with the price and the difficulty of service, not for me :tipup:
a couple of my friends shoot martins and love them :tipup:

Pikeguy

« Reply #7 on: Aug 01, 2006, 08:36 AM »
Anybody heard of Ross Archery? Supposed to be a pretty nice bow

www.rossarchery.com

flockshot

• the official "shirt" of MIRC
« Reply #8 on: Aug 01, 2006, 09:01 AM »
pikeguy..im used to be a full time archery tech at bass pro...and i can tell you one thing.. everybody on here will tell you what bows they love and what to buy..but the best thing to do..( i know you live in a out of the way location) is to shoot every bow you can, including those you may not be very intrested in.  I personallly shoot a browning illusion(but thats matthews price) but i can suggest if you are looking to spend a little less check out some of the PSE's...the Parkers are fantastic bows...i really like the extreme hunter mag. by them. a complete outfit for the price of a bare bow and the company is fantastic with waranties and such ....also check out diamond..its an offshot made by bowtech..they are fantastic bows at a decent price..by far the best value in archery right now. also as some said above the new reflex's are nice as well and reasonable..but id really check out the diamonds..by bowtech..the make like 6 different models and they are all really nice. the renegade is a shooter and around 400 outfitted(the name might be wrong :-\) if you have any questions you can ask me..i can also do some research for you when i do work at bass pro again(im only there about once a month) and will give you and unbiased answer. being an archery tech, even if i dont like the bow i can admit its plus's and see why someone else would love it.
team MI!!! MIRC CHAPTER MEMBER
"Rockbass are great..but the meats a little soft."

Pikeguy

« Reply #9 on: Aug 01, 2006, 09:14 AM »
I'm really liking what I see from Bowtech right now. I like the idea behind the binary cams. The Allegiance looks like what I'm looking for but I have to get somewhere and shoot some different bows. I've never had anything new..always been hand me down PSE's which have been ok...but I spend every night and weekend in the woods and it's time to have a new bow  ;)

ifishhi

• fall togue on a 6wt.....what a fight!
« Reply #10 on: Aug 01, 2006, 09:27 AM »
i'm a hoyt gut too. thats all i'll shoot

archbishop

« Reply #11 on: Aug 01, 2006, 04:50 PM »
I'm really liking what I see from Bowtech right now. I like the idea behind the binary cams. The Allegiance looks like what I'm looking for but I have to get somewhere and shoot some different bows. I've never had anything new..always been hand me down PSE's which have been ok...but I spend every night and weekend in the woods and it's time to have a new bow  ;)

bowtech is good, its fairly inexpensive and shoots nice, but allegiance cant be based on what we say, do you have any buddies that have different bows? try to shoot them, even if there not set up for you quit right, youll get a feel for how the bow works, release, noise, weight, height, poundage, most importantly how it feels in your hand, i went through about 4 bows before i was dedicated to hoyt, they make great bows and are made in the USA, most important factor to me is the price tag, i have 3 kids, even if i liked mathews it wouldnt be in my near future, if you have that kind of money though i would go with the parkers or brownings :tipup:

also remember if you just have so much money, strip your bow of parts and put them on the new bow until you get more money for stabilizers, whisker biscuits, etc...

archbishop

« Reply #12 on: Aug 01, 2006, 04:54 PM »
man all this talk, now i need a new bow  ???

the wife says MAYBE next year :'( since i just got a new gun or 3 :tipup:

this is what im thinking, what do you hear flockshot?

http://www.hoyt.com/products/trykon.tpl

Eye Hunter

« Reply #13 on: Aug 01, 2006, 06:35 PM »
I shoot a PSE Typhoon. Good flat shooting bow.

Pikeguy

« Reply #14 on: Aug 02, 2006, 01:17 PM »
Hey flockshot! How do you feel about ordering a bow package from like Cabelas or BPS? Does it come set up from the mfgr. or does cabelas/bps do it?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.