FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Taking of Fish or Small Game in a Survival Situation (un-licensed)  (Read 5716 times)

wyreellifeguy

I thing if you are truly in a survival situation you as a person should do what ever it takes to get your self home, but that is a great question because if you don't have a license you can get fined, i believe  there should be some type of a rule or what ever to prevent someone in a survival situation from getting a fine .
Justin D.

sgpitman

When it comes to staying alive there are no such things as ethics. Do what ever it takes to stay alive and sort the rest out later. I don't think they should make it a law because then people will hide behind it but real cases can be decided in court. I would like to believe if some one was really separated from a white water group or a hunting party and had to hunt to stay alive it would be over looked. If I'm wrong well, I'm alive, who cares about anything else. That's my opinion.

sgpitman

I suppose that's the same guy, I just couldn't recall where it occurred, point is as you say, he lacked the survival skills of shelter, (proper) food obtaining/preservation , water and fire to survive. Thanks Ole. Don ;D
they actually made a movie about this guy. I don't know how accurate the movie was about this guys life but he was in Alaska because he didn't want to live with people at that time. He wanted to travle cross country and live on his own for how ever long. He got a rifle in the movie to live off the land. That's not survival,  that's poaching. Guy had a rich family but wanted to do things on his own.

LT

• Retired MFF Mod
  • "A larger flame-thrower, you will need."
they actually made a movie about this guy. I don't know how accurate the movie was about this guys life but he was in Alaska because he didn't want to live with people at that time. He wanted to travle cross country and live on his own for how ever long. He got a rifle in the movie to live off the land. That's not survival,  that's poaching. Guy had a rich family but wanted to do things on his own.
Few years ago, G&F and Forest Service busted a guy over outside of Pinedale, squatting ya know, living off the land, no licenses of any kind...ended badly for him with $$$$$$$ big game cites...yep, for poaching  :-\

Duck Doctor

• Throbbin' rods and smokin' drags!
I know a guy that was in a situation that he felt was dangerous enough to pop a coyote and try to eat it.  He said he could not choke it down it was so bad. He went hungry but came out alive.
Personal Best NH fish: Rainbow Trout  5lbs 8oz  Brown Trout 6lbs 3oz Lake Trout 10lbs 6oz

LT

• Retired MFF Mod

Matt R.

• Keep a few, but take more photos!
If you were starving and lost and you ran into sasquatch, would you eat a rump roast or a backstrap?

Ha Ha Ha! ;D Backstrap fo sho!
I like to fish for all fish!

POk3s

• Hey looky there....I got a bite!
I know a guy that was in a situation that he felt was dangerous enough to pop a coyote and try to eat it.  He said he could not choke it down it was so bad. He went hungry but came out alive.

That must've been a real bad situation where all he could find was a coyote!

I'm with most of you...do whatever you can to survive and deal with the law later. I know if I run into a guy somewhere in the backcountry that has been lost for days/weeks/whatever, I'm not asking him how many deer he killed to stay alive. I'm just simply making him something to eat, giving him some water and we're getting back to civilization. When is finding meat more important than when you're lost! I also don't think there should be a law because of what was previously mentioned. I also dont think it should only be small game or fish. Say Don (hehe) is lost while elk hunting somewhere and all he has is his hunting rifle. I know I've went days without seeing any small game except squirrels...and if Don shoots a squirrel with a .300 win mag there's not gonna be much left anyways. Even if Don is fishing somewhere he probably has a high caliber pistol....which would result in the same thing.  I'd rather wait for my opportunity to kill a doe deer then to use one of my 6 shots on a squirrel that's going to blow it up and i'm going to get 2 oz of meat...but that's gettin technical.
Trent Williams<br /><br />Green River WOLVES<br />Wyoming COWBOYS<br /><br />

MountainMan

• Retired MFF Mod
  • Fish Painter
they actually made a movie about this guy. I don't know how accurate the movie was about this guys life but he was in Alaska because he didn't want to live with people at that time. He wanted to travle cross country and live on his own for how ever long. He got a rifle in the movie to live off the land. That's not survival,  that's poaching. Guy had a rich family but wanted to do things on his own.

Movie is based on the book Into the Wild, by Jon Krakauer (same guy who wrote "Into Thin Air"- Awesome book about Mt. Everest). The kid who shot the moose was a spoiled rich kid who voluntarily got himself into the situation. Planned on living in an old bus body along the trail and living off the land. He grossly underestimated the wilderness and overestimated his "wilderness skills". Bit of a folk hero to some, but a selfish brat for putting his family through the heartache, and got what he was asking for in my opinion...

LT

• Retired MFF Mod
That must've been a real bad situation where all he could find was a coyote!

I'm with most of you...do whatever you can to survive and deal with the law later. I know if I run into a guy somewhere in the backcountry that has been lost for days/weeks/whatever, I'm not asking him how many deer he killed to stay alive. I'm just simply making him something to eat, giving him some water and we're getting back to civilization. When is finding meat more important than when you're lost! I also don't think there should be a law because of what was previously mentioned. I also dont think it should only be small game or fish. Say Don (hehe) is lost while elk hunting somewhere and all he has is his hunting rifle. I know I've went days without seeing any small game except squirrels...and if Don shoots a squirrel with a .300 win mag there's not gonna be much left anyways. Even if Don is fishing somewhere he probably has a high caliber pistol....which would result in the same thing.  I'd rather wait for my opportunity to kill a doe deer then to use one of my 6 shots on a squirrel that's going to blow it up and i'm going to get 2 oz of meat...but that's gettin technical.
Always...always, Don has a speed-loader with six rounds of .357 cal bird shot...and I agree, it will NOT be wasted on a dink squirrel, but reserved for a blue grouse the size of one of those turkeys you shot...or a turkey ...or a duck or goose or snowshoe hare, Trent  ;D (hee-hee)

WYeyes

Few years ago, G&F and Forest Service busted a guy over outside of Pinedale, squatting ya know, living off the land, no licenses of any kind...ended badly for him with $$$$$$$ big game cites...yep, for poaching  :-\

I remember that. North fork of Fish Creek off of the Union Pass road, if i remember right. I am sure since he spent the whole winter there that it turned into a survival situation. But he chose to put himself there in that situation, definitely a poacher.

LT

• Retired MFF Mod

I remember that. North fork of Fish Creek off of the Union Pass road, if i remember right. I am sure since he spent the whole winter there that it turned into a survival situation. But he chose to put himself there in that situation, definitely a poacher.
Right, exactly WE and I'll tell you what got me started thinking about this question of taking game in a survival situation, a show running on the Discovery Channel called Dual Survivor, Dave and Cody. Well, thing is, Cody is "live off the land, these grubs remind me of the taste of wild hickory nuts" while Dave is, "I'm gonna go kill something to feed us..." So a few days ago in the rain forest, Dave takes a wild turkey. That's what got me thinking about it. But I'm betting these guys have some sort of arrangement with the authorities in the areas they get "stranded" in.   ;)

Here's a clip of Dave in action in the Lousiana swamp...and by the way, that gator is some fine table fare!

http://dsc.discovery.com/videos/dual-survival-swamped/

WYeyes

Ha Ha   Yeah I have seen that show a few times LT, the hippie with the bare feet(Cody) cracks me up, he does have some skills though. Dave fits my style much better.

I would quess like you said, since they are trying to teach people they have license ahead of time to bend the rules.

I would think in this part of the country that the authorities would just kind of look the other way if it was a true survival situation. It will be interesting to see how they answer your question.

LT

• Retired MFF Mod
I confess I'd like to have the ole hippie's fire-starting skills though ;) I mean, Don's gonna have a fire, but with less than the ease of the Cody ;D

olefish

Movie is based on the book Into the Wild, by Jon Krakauer (same guy who wrote "Into Thin Air"- Awesome book about Mt. Everest). The kid who shot the moose was a spoiled rich kid who voluntarily got himself into the situation. Planned on living in an old bus body along the trail and living off the land. He grossly underestimated the wilderness and overestimated his "wilderness skills". Bit of a folk hero to some, but a selfish brat for putting his family through the heartache, and got what he was asking for in my opinion...
  I agree totally
 I found this info
Into The Wild is about an emotionally embattled young man named Chris McCandless who left his affluent upbringings behind, renamed himself Alex, and wandered the West searching for purpose and identity. His decaying body was found by a moose hunter in Alaska on September 6, 1992.

Through an autopsy, medical examiners determined that McCandless had starved to death, and all evidence pointed clearly and unambiguously to that conclusion. But the Poison Plant Fable proved irresistible to Krakauer, who first wrote about the tragedy in “Death of an Innocent,” (a January 1993 article in Outside magazine). He conjectured that Chris had died by poisoning when he mistook the wild sweet pea Hedysarum mackenziei for the “wild potato” Hedysarum alpinum. But since Chris had clearly starved to death, Krakauer had to reach further, positing that McCandless was “laid low” by the poisoning, and thus unable to feed himself. Since we have all internalized the Poison Plant Fable, this unlikely and scientifically unsupported explanation for Chris’s death was immediately and widely accepted as fact.

But there is no evidence that Chris McCandless ever ate even a single seed of H. mackenziei. Krakauer doesn’t even try to provide such evidence; he simply tells us that the two plants grow beside each other and are “very difficult to distinguish.” Provided with these facts, most people immediately and unquestioningly conclude that McCandless mistook wild sweet pea for wild potato. Like Krakauer, they don’t need any evidence because the Poison Plant Fable says that it happens this way. But how plausible is this?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.