FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Un-Retired …..Again!  (Read 42166 times)

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
Re: Un-Retired …..Again!
« Reply #300 on: Sep 03, 2022, 02:15 PM »
It’s great to have that time with him Bob.  👍👍
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #301 on: Sep 23, 2022, 04:00 PM »
Well…getting down to the last few weeks on the course. I’ll be off the payroll as of 11/1. Starting next week it’s just the “core” group. 5 of us to keep up with an 18 hole course. We start aeration on Monday. Should take about a week. We’ll be deep tining  greens and tees, verticutting, top dressing, rolling and mowing. We planned on core aerating but the budget doesn’t allow for the additional resources needed to complete that this year.

We’re dealing with a course in transition and recovery. Progress this season has been remarkable by all accounts. We’ve taken out 75 dead ash trees with 150 to go. Irrigation leaks have been repaired …..for now….and the course was the greenest in the whole area. 7.3 million gallons of water so far this season. ( doubt we’ll add much at this point)

Nothing but compliments and positive feedback from all the groups and members who played. Most of the tournament groups have already booked for next season. Huge increase in rounds played over the last 5 years.

The new owners have a lot to learn. This year we were basically a restaurant and party house with a golf course. Think they are beginning to realize that the golf course is what attracts people with “disposable income” to their other venues.

In any event, we’ll finish out the season in style and open with a bang in the spring.

What a fun way to make a few bucks and be a part of something positive.

Working with my Son and our Super is so satisfying. Worth every minute.

If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

ran7ger

« Reply #302 on: Sep 23, 2022, 05:01 PM »
 it's a great time of year to be working on a golf course RG, enjoy it.  unfortunate that management is too short sighted to see the long term costs of putting off core aeration.  that thatch has gotta go and once you get behind you may never catch up.  we're pulling 5/8" cores, tees and greens, and laying the sand down heavy!
got a fish on the line and my boat on the water
and it's gettin' near time to take the cows to the slaughter

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #303 on: Sep 23, 2022, 05:04 PM »
Bob it’s sooo gratifying when you have happy costumers..  I’m glad the season is winding down for both of us..
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #304 on: Sep 24, 2022, 06:36 AM »
Yeah Ranger, we know. It’s an odd situation. The course nearly closed 5 years ago. The actual owner didn’t want to spend any money on anything. The current operators have a 5 year ( I think) lease to buy contract. They’re trying to run on revenue only. A very difficult plan.

They’re property people who care more about wasting money on the restaurant and party house than they do about maintaining a golf course. They know nothing about a golf course other than playing one.

The Pro told us we recorded more rounds played this year than any time in the 15 years he’s been there. The only reason for that was course conditions. The very good conditions were the result of an awesome effort by the Super, my Son and the grounds crew. We brought in golfers, tournaments, outings and a ton of people for their beloved pub.

Not once did the operators get in a cart with the super and tour the course. We never saw either of them at our shop the entire year.

But they apparently want to continue and plan to buy the course. In any event we’ll do the best we can with what we’ve got.
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

Bartman44

« Reply #305 on: Sep 24, 2022, 06:51 AM »
And you were able to spend a lot of time with your son. Even more, I also recall you were able to lobby to have certain pesky geese "relocated" which is a big deal, hopefully you can keep them away from the improved landscape.       

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #306 on: Sep 24, 2022, 12:25 PM »
It was the Super who put in the request to remove the geese. They’re back anyway. All adults now. Not as much of a nuisance as they were but they’re around.

Though I won’t be on the payroll this winter, I’ll be over there helping those two remove some of the 150 dead ash trees on the property.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #307 on: Sep 27, 2022, 04:54 AM »
Yesterday was a full day of aerating greens. We did verticutting in 2 directions, mowed, deep tined and rolled 10 greens blowing them off between each operation.About 10.5 hours working in on and off drizzle. Went pretty smoothly with just 5 guys. We had a good system and this crew works very well together.

9 more to go today with (hopefully) a break from the rain.

When we’re done we’ll go back and top dress with sand and drag them with coco mats. We filled the 5 yard dump trailer twice with the thatch we removed.

The back 9 will be a bit easier to deal with. Smaller greens and in closer proximity. The front is spread out almost 2 miles from #9 at the clubhouse to #5, the furthest point out. Front 9 greens are between 7500 and 9000 sq. ft. There’s 5 in that range on the back and 4 smaller ones. But, we got a good rhythm going and it shouldn’t be quite as long a day today.

Of course we’re 2 days behind on mowing ( could end up being 3) and that’ll be hard to catch up on with only 5 people working limited hours.

We’re talking about verticutting once more before we close up for the season Nov. 1. The amount of thatch we removed seemed remarkable to me. But then, greens are remarkable anyway. They’re a perfect example of science and agronomy in action.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #308 on: Sep 27, 2022, 03:38 PM »
Well we got it done today.
My partner Tom running the triplex with verticutters.

What does it do? Slices about 1/4” into the turf. Removes the thatch and stands up the laid over turf.

4 greens worth of collection. We filled the dump trailer to the brim doing 9 greens today. We’re all pretty whipped. Great team effort though. What a super bunch of guys to work with.

Got a huge break from the weather today and killed it. Done in 6 hours. Super bought us a huge lunch of pizza, wings, fries and sides. Really hit the spot. Sat around for an hour or so bs’ing and eating.

Back to mowing tomorrow. Super took the time to sharpen bed knives on all the reel mowers, back lap and  adjust cutting. heights. We’ll be dialed in for mowing.

I’ll be smiling and cutting pretty lines.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #309 on: Oct 09, 2022, 12:07 PM »
Well, just 8 more working days at the club. The Super is leaving for a head mechanics position at an upscale private country club near us. I might just be mowing  there next year. It would be interesting to work a high end club with good working equipment, an pad an ample budget and a full staff.

Till then, I’ll finish the year where I am.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #310 on: Oct 12, 2022, 11:50 AM »
Gotta remember my phone for pics on Friday. The course is just beautiful.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #311 on: Oct 16, 2022, 12:48 PM »
3 hour frost delay this morning. The was a shotgun start at 10:00. Full course…144 players. We couldn’t cut cups or mow greens. Didn’t get out on the course till 8:45. Got there at 5:30.

But we got the greens blown off and the tee markers moved in time.

I have one more week according to the labor plan, but, that might change with the Super leaving.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #312 on: Oct 17, 2022, 04:20 PM »
The guys were blowing out the irrigation system today. Only one fountain that I know of.

My partner and I pulled in all of the benches and excess (for this time of year) tee markers.. He went home and I went out to pick up all the trash left by the tournament yesterday. That crew was a bunch heavy drinkers for sure.

Don’t get why you’d pay $60 a man to play a tourney and get hammered by the third hole. Actually collected an empty quart bottle of Everclear Grain Alcohol. 190 proof.

Good grief!

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #313 on: Oct 18, 2022, 12:59 PM »
Blowing out the irrigation system today. I was actually off but went in to hang out with my Son.

One geyser.

One blowout

Sent mud and stones 20’ and left a hole about 3’ in diameter…..under the sod.

Next super’s problem I guess.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #314 on: Oct 20, 2022, 03:47 AM »
Last mowing day for me today. Tees and approaches. Sunday I’ll go in with my Son and set tee markers  and unless something changes , it will be my last day this year. Tomorrow I’m doing wings, salads, and slaw for the guys as a send off to our super.

I’m really gonna miss having him around. He’s a good friend and a very good superintendent. He built a great crew this year. No drama and everyone shared the same goals. We did a great job making the course one of the best in the area this year. Nothing but compliments from long time members and guests.

I’ll wait to meet the “next guy” before making any decisions on where I’ll be next season. With Chris’ reference I can walk on to just about any golf course in the area and have a job. But a couple of us that aren’t leaving now would really rather stay. It’s convenient and I can navigate the course blindfolded. We will see!

Anyway, once again my Son is acting Superintendent. He’s giving them until Thanksgiving then he’s moving on. He’s been offered a full time year round position as irrigation and spray technician starting in January at the private country club our super is moving to. Hasn’t made a decision as yet but he has time.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.