FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Holy Sheephead Batman!  (Read 7056 times)

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
Holy Sheephead Batman!
« on: Oct 23, 2017, 05:41 PM »
Got this pig on the Canal today.

Sorry it's upside down. Near 27". Big for the Canal.

Got some nice crappies and bass as well. A fun October morning.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

trapper2000

• live the dream...........wear it!!!
Re: Holy Sheephead Batman!
« Reply #1 on: Oct 23, 2017, 07:18 PM »
nice  fish ole  boy  ...bulldogs  they are
you can destroy buildings  you can't  destroy the  american spirit

taxid

« Reply #2 on: Oct 23, 2017, 07:20 PM »
How do they taste? Had one once where the fillets were a little rubbery. Maybe not fixed right?
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

fishnmachine

• Life Member NAFC
« Reply #3 on: Oct 23, 2017, 07:43 PM »
A chunk! What fly did it take?  ;D
     One more with the one we're after and we'll have two.
The brook trout is the prom queen of the trout world, and a promiscuous prom queen at that!

Mac Attack

« Reply #4 on: Oct 23, 2017, 08:26 PM »

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #5 on: Oct 24, 2017, 03:31 AM »
A chunk! What fly did it take?  ;D

A night crawler. I was finessing some bass with the light rod and 6 lb test. It hit like a freight train.

How do they taste.......couldn't say. I'll eat the crappies thanks.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

trapper2000

« Reply #6 on: Oct 24, 2017, 03:53 AM »
people  mistake   sheephead  as a  nasty bottom feeder ,it's not true they  do eat a lot of crawfish  but I have  caught them on  minnows  jigs  rapalas and  so  on , I  know  mid western states  love  fresh water drum , I ate a  few   they were  solid  white  flaky   meat ...... they  fight  great  and  are  in numbers ... I  give  them a  thumbs up

filetandrelease

« Reply #7 on: Oct 24, 2017, 05:09 AM »

Nice one RG , tons of fun to catch ,

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #8 on: Oct 24, 2017, 05:40 AM »
Sweet.....  :thumbup_smilie:
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

jperch

« Reply #9 on: Oct 24, 2017, 07:07 AM »
people  mistake   sheephead  as a  nasty bottom feeder ,it's not true they  do eat a lot of crawfish  but I have  caught them on  minnows  jigs  rapalas and  so  on , I  know  mid western states  love  fresh water drum , I ate a  few   they were  solid  white  flaky   meat ...... they  fight  great  and  are  in numbers ... I  give  them a  thumbs up

I can't comment on how they taste but I see people keeping them as table fare at the Oswego river.  As a (I guess former) SCUBA diver I can tell you that they do feed heavily on zebra muscles.  I have seen this many times, they go nose down and scrape a mouthful of muscles off the bottom.  This is followed by a very loud "crunch" noise which carries a long ways underwater.  You will also see them expel a cloud of "sand" sometimes after they have digested the shells.  I suppose you can eat them, I like perch.
jperch

Rugburn

• Camp Dog
« Reply #10 on: Oct 24, 2017, 07:12 AM »
 Rubber baby buggy bumper, rubber baby buggy bumper, rubberbabybuggybumper. 3 times fast!  :P

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #11 on: Oct 24, 2017, 06:32 PM »
They're definitely shell crushers. The pads at the base of their gullets are lined with rock hard bony bumps.

To me they're a game fish. Catch, enjoy and release. I've made many a summer trip to Irondequoit bay to target them. Get a bucket of crayfish from the creek, pick a point and wear out your tackle.

Rg

trapper2000

« Reply #12 on: Oct 24, 2017, 06:57 PM »
hey they  are  drum  .... pure  brutes 

Linc

« Reply #13 on: Oct 25, 2017, 06:57 AM »
From what I understand you cut them up into chunks and boil. Poor mans lobster. I can not say I have ever ate them. Years ago I caught them at 3 Rivers and always released them.

icejohn

• God, Family.......Fishing.
« Reply #14 on: Oct 26, 2017, 10:47 PM »
To trap's reply...they are not a bad table fare...i have eaten many and just like many other fresh and saltwater fish....you have to cut out the red meat along it's lateral line...then i usually cut them into smaller pieces and fry them like any other fish...they taste really quite good. And as a bonus...you can cut out their "brain" stones...quite unique little stones...check them out on youtube.
take a kid hunting and fishing, it's a lot better than leaving them on the streets!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.