FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: A few pics and reports  (Read 2020 times)

zwiggles

A few pics and reports
« on: May 17, 2020, 10:04 AM »
I have been fishing the moving water and a few trout ponds quite a bit lately. Had some success with the stickers which was fun, but no pictures and a lot of the trips have been after works hikes more than fishing when the weather cooperated. I have been trying not to go to any of the popular spots because they seem to be extra busy, and it’s paid off.

One of the trips I met up with a guy I met on IS/another forum (Not sure if you’re on here or not). He was kind enough to take me a River I had heard of and fished before, but to a spot I never would have thought to try. It paid off, and it was nice to catch a bunch of fish even if they were small.

Then I went on another string of fishless trips. Mostly after work jaunts, but I found some cool places to check later, and put an X over a bunch of places that where not what I had hoped.

One of the streams I had been trying out is teeny tiny, but seems to have native brook trout. One trout in particular is a bit bigger then anything else I have seen in there, and I have attempted to catch him in his “hole” on 4 or 5 different trips this year. Each time I see it spook, and blast out of its hole. I hook a tree limb on my first cast, or get caught sneaking up into position. The fish had humbled me a few times now.

Well a week ago I “army crawled” into position and could see the dimples on the water from it rising. I thankfully had some vegetation now to cover me, and I calmed myself down and made a cast/flick with my honrberg..... as soon as it hits the water the fish sucked it up and I froze... absolutely the weakest hookset of all time, and the fish spooked, spit the hook, and laughed on his way into cover. I was just left shaking my head.

I went back again for some redemption yesterday. The bigger fish I had stalked before continued to humble me, but I got 2 different fish to hand, lost two more, and had another one come off when I tried to corral it in the net. All on the dry fly, and it was a blast!

Both of those are the same fish, but the other two I got a good look at where both different sizes which was really surprising to me. I also spooked out at least another dozen fish when I was creeping on the banks. I definitely hooked way more branches and trees then fish, but it was a blast.

AquaAssassin

Re: A few pics and reports
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2020, 11:58 AM »
Sweet buddy!
It’s not being Cocky if you can back it up.

When you’re good at something, you’ll tell everyone. When you’re great at something, they’ll tell you.

seamonkey84

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2020, 01:18 PM »
Always a fun challenge going for that one fish, and more of a challenge with trying to use a fly rod in small areas. Some places need the “bow” cast to flick the fly line into position, hard to get a good aim though.
"You know when they have a fishing show on TV? They catch the fish and then let it go. They don't want to eat the fish, they just want to make it late for something." - Mitch Hedberg

meatandmetal

• meatandmetal on IS
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2020, 03:04 PM »
Very nice way to get after them.

AquaAssassin

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2020, 03:06 PM »
Always a fun challenge going for that one fish, and more of a challenge with trying to use a fly rod in small areas. Some places need the “bow” cast to flick the fly line into position, hard to get a good aim though.

Agreed, that’s the draw to that style fishing for me. Like Whitetails, bear, turkey, and moose. I have specific deer I’m looking for while passing countless others, I have a huge sow bear with one eye I’ve been targeting now this will be the third year. All about the chase not the kill!

When you’re good at something, you’ll tell everyone. When you’re great at something, they’ll tell you.

800stealth

• Got Smallies??
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2020, 09:42 AM »
Nice report and pics

Digs

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2020, 09:44 PM »
Awesome! Great little fishes.

PIKEBAIT

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2020, 08:40 AM »
Very nice way to get after them.

;D Sure Denny??  If you or I were to crawl on hands and knees we we could hardly get up again!
Dick

meatandmetal

• meatandmetal on IS
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2020, 04:30 PM »
;D Sure Denny??  If you or I were to crawl on hands and knees we we could hardly get up again!
Dick

Ya Dick especially now I just had my knee done last Monday (5/11) I can't even bridge fish right now. But when I get back watch out.

800stealth

• Got Smallies??
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2020, 04:38 PM »
I hope you have a quick recovery Denny.

AquaAssassin

« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2020, 04:51 PM »
Heal quick Brother! I’d make a smart ass comment but I’ll be next no doubt  :P

PIKEBAIT

« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2020, 05:03 PM »
Ya Dick especially now I just had my knee done last Monday (5/11) I can't even bridge fish right now. But when I get back watch out.

Denny you got one of the new side incisions?  You won't be able to show it off when in summer shorts.  Twelve weeks after my March surgery I can finally climb in and out of my small aluminium boat. Complete recuperation is now noted as 8 to 12 months!!  Getting old is the pits!!
Dick

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.