FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: trolling success  (Read 1037 times)

bikrsrule

trolling success
« on: May 25, 2020, 11:12 AM »
I have had very little trolling success this spring season so far, last summer/fall I was doing very well, always getting a few fish per outing, this spring has been very spotty at best, a few nice browns but very few rainbows or brookies..I just cant figure it out..I  do put in my time, 4 to 5 hrs each weekend day and some evenings after work..Anyone else having these issues?

indianahooker

Re: trolling success
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2020, 01:55 PM »
when they wont bite, troll faster with tight wobbling cranks.  you can at least get a few reaction strikes that way.  some days you cant hardly buy a bite though. that's "fishin".

zwiggles

Re: trolling success
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2020, 03:48 PM »
I haven’t been out trolling really much at all this spring. I have mostly been using my fly rod, but I would offer spring is usually tougher trolling for me in general. Lots of trout and salmon are keying in on available forage in rivers connected to lakes and ponds, and the water temp can cause the fish and bait to be very spread out.

Once it gets hot the fish are forced into feeding in specific windows of sorts and are easier to pin down, imo. They’re not in the rivers anymore, and typically will be found in and around the thermocline when and if it sets up.

It also depends on the lake/ body of water. I know a few that fish well during midday, most are hot from an hour before sun up until an hour or two after then nada for the rest of the day.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.