FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Ice Fishing in the Adirondacks  (Read 5027 times)

Tom Hughes

Ice Fishing in the Adirondacks
« on: Mar 04, 2007, 08:48 PM »
Ice Fishing in the Adirondacks

John Keeler and I left Mechanicsburg, PA early Thursday, February 8, 2007, heading to Warren County, NY.  John's son, Icedawg, invited us to go ice fishing on Lake George for yellow perch and lake trout Friday and Saturday.  The scenery was beautiful as we drove north on Rt. 87 for the 6 1/2 hour drive.

We arrived at Lake George, NY around 3PM and our first stop was at the FISH307.com Tackle Shop on Rt. 9.  I had the pleasure of meeting the owner, Jeff, and a few local anglers.  We swapped a few fishing stories before checking out the large variety of ice fishing equipment available.  Jeff is very knowledgeable, as I asked many questions on what a 1st time ice angler should need to catch fish.  Icedawg arrived and we headed to his home where he had everything ready for the next day.  He gave me a crash course on equipment, lures and techniques used to catch yellow perch and lake trout through the ice.

Sunrise Friday, February 9, 2007 on Lake George

We moved across the 8" thick ice on a couple of 4 wheel ATV's (wheelers) pulling all the equipment needed for a 'day on the ice'.  Icedawg drilled holes in the ice and set up the popup enclosures to keep us comfortable while fishing in no time flat.  Icedawg looks forward to this time of year where he can ice fish a few time weekly.

One of Three Shanties that are Connected Together

Next the 24" Pre-Rigged Ice Rod are Handed Out

John and I were in the shanties with portable gas heaters running keeping us warm.  The bait of choice was maggots.  A usual rig consists of a small spoon on the bottom with 2 small jigs attached above the spoon approximately 1' apart.

John Landed the 1st Yellow Perch

John was bailing yellow perch. I caught only a few, while Icedawg drilled holes in the ice at various depth of water, setting the tip-ups to catch lake trout.  He installed 10 tip-ups, 5 per row.  Each reel was spooled with 6# PowerPro fiber line, a 6# fluorocarbon leader, a #14 treble hook on the bottom and split shot 18" up the line.  Suckers were hooked just behind the back dorsal fin and set on the bottom.

Standard Tip-Up and How it Works

Another Style Tip-Up

Largest Lake Trout (Laker) Caught

Rondog was out on the ice bailing one yellow perch after another. My production was low so I when out on the ice to pick his brain.  He was very helpful and explained how he used a Vexilar Ice-Ducer.  This unit shows your line and lure above the fish, and the fish when it rises to take the lure.  Rondog was nice enough to leave his tip-ups out for our use when he left the ice.  Greenfield and his dad Bill also stopped over to shoot the breeze for a short time on Friday.

Vexilar Ice-Ducer Showing Line/Lure and Fish

My catching came more productive (no...a lot more productive), when Icedawg showed me a how to hold a 24" ice rod and reel.  This allowed me to feel the lightest hits. With the rod tip low, and a tight line, snap the wrist in a quick upward motion to get a good hook set.

Equipment, Lures, and the Reward

On Saturday we went out on 4 wheelers; Icedawg and John, Doug and I, Gerald, and Stripers2.  Thanks fellows for the hospitality and for sharing your knowledge on how to ice fish.

SPECIAL THANKS:  Icedawg for your professional planning that made it possible for John and me to catch a countless number of yellow perch and 4 nice lake trout through the ice.

Tight Lines,

Capt. Tom Hughes

SleePac

Re: Ice Fishing in the Adirondacks
« Reply #1 on: Mar 05, 2007, 05:41 AM »
Outstanding Report!!!!  The diagrams are perfect for any first timer to understand!  Great job.  Sounds like you guys had a blast, too!  Sure hope you enjoy ice fishing!  There's just something about it!!!!!

pikemaster789

• MIRC!
« Reply #2 on: Mar 06, 2007, 02:01 PM »
good report there, some nice pictures to go along with it

Fishing is life

MIRC!

johnyp27

« Reply #3 on: Mar 07, 2007, 09:02 AM »
nice job with the  report

jayswimmer09

• MUSKY ON!!!!
« Reply #4 on: Mar 08, 2007, 03:07 PM »
nice pics!!! i will def use those pics to describe a tip up when people ask!!! also there is great ice fishing here in PA next year hit up iceshanty.com and youl learn everything you need to know

Tom Hughes

« Reply #5 on: Mar 08, 2007, 09:12 PM »
SleePac:
Sounds like you guys had a blast, too!  Sure hope you enjoy ice fishing!  There's just something about it!!!!!
A blast we had and I really enjoy ice fishing.

jayswimmer09:
i will def use those pics to describe a tip up when people ask!!! also there is great ice fishing here in PA next year hit up iceshanty.com and youl learn everything you need to know
That's great.   I hope the pics help others learn what I did during my first ice fishing trip.  Thanks for the site, I now have it bookmarked.

Thanks everyone for the nice replies.

rondog

« Reply #6 on: Mar 11, 2007, 08:13 AM »
Capt.Tom
    Nice post!
 Now is the time you should be here,the Perch are on and so are the laker's.icedawg,Greenfield and a few of the guys you didn't get a chance to meet hit LG. Sat. We ended up with around 300 perch and were off of the ice by noon.Greenfield had his limit by 8:30. I hope you and John can make it back next year and maybe bring that guy from Va. with you :thumbup_smilie:

Tom Hughes

« Reply #7 on: Mar 11, 2007, 05:18 PM »
rondog: Thanks for the kind words.

I’m glad you guys really got into some nice fish.  Sounds like you’re getting a lot of pullage…something in need right now.  I been busy giving seminars and lecture series and I hope to hit the Susquehanna Flats this week.

We’ll be up next year and I’m sure Jamie will make the trip.

sbfpa_Mike

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #8 on: Mar 12, 2007, 09:16 PM »
Nice post Tom. In fact, I don't think I have seen a better post. Your simple explinations coupled with pictures and equipment were perfect. If I didn't know any better, I would have thought you to be a seasoned vetran. I look forward to many more posts. Don't worry, they don't all have to be that great. Keep up the great work! ;D

Mike

Tom Hughes

« Reply #9 on: Mar 13, 2007, 09:25 PM »
sbfpa_Mike:  Thanks for the kind words and I do plan on posting fishing reports, with pictures, throughout the year.

I’ll be busy next month chasing striped bass on light tackle or fly fishing equipment.  Quit a turn around from ice fishing, but just as much fun.  The big stripers will be in the skinny waters and catching them on top water is exciting.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.