FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Where the Big Stripers At?!?!?!  (Read 2606 times)

westernmas

Where the Big Stripers At?!?!?!
« on: Aug 01, 2019, 10:58 AM »
Well, I had a few days off so I went down to visit my parents down at the Cape.  I arrived late Friday and was up early to hit the ditch for sunrise.  I fished the east end from about 4-11 without seeing a single fish caught or even getting a bite.  The next few days I spent with friends and family and Monday I had to drive back since my gf had to work. 

Tuesday I took off to the south shore and arrived at Scituate Harbor around 3:30.  I had my kayak rigged up and was on the water by 4.  I had never fished this area before so the plan was to get an understanding of the area first and then toss some eels once the sun set.  I sure am happy that I got there in the light.  I got out of the harbor and there were 15 foot rocks sticking out at dead low.  By the time the sun had set and the tide came in, those rocks were no longer visible.  This made fishing close to shore a little sketchy and definitely got the blood pumping.  At any moment I could have gotten hung up on one of those rocks and broke the shear pin on my pedal drive.  I fished from the first cliff down to the third cliff without any luck.  At dusk a couple of boats showed up and they could only get into some squid.  I could see huge bait balls under my kayak and was curious what the heck was down there but a group hollering about calamari cleared up the confusion.

At about 10 I finally got my first bite and lost the fish relatively quickly.  I moved to a different area and finally started connecting on fish.  In about an hour I landed 3 very fat stripers but they were only about 25 inches.  At this point it was after mid-night, my legs were dead from pedaling, so I headed back to the truck.  I was happy with my success for the evening but my goal was a 30+ inch fish since I've yet to get a keeper sized striper this year.  Outside of the canal it seems like they have been far and few between when not fishing out of a vessel with an motor.  Hopefully I can connect with something larger in the next few weeks.
AKA-PMaloney86 on the shanty
AKA-westernm@$$hole prior to a mod change
Instagram @Patsquatch413

lowaccord66

Re: Where the Big Stripers At?!?!?!
« Reply #1 on: Aug 01, 2019, 12:32 PM »
Hopefully everyone learned their lesson and doesn't talk about where they are at. Friend of mine landed a couple over 40lbs from his yak recently.   

westernmas

« Reply #2 on: Aug 01, 2019, 01:47 PM »
I'm not looking for spots.  Just an observation that it seems like there are not many large fish around.  Seems boaters are getting into them pretty consistently but shore anglers are struggling to get fish of any size.  In speaking with one guy who only fly fishes but goes with others that surf casters they have only landed one 40" fish all season between the 6 of them.  Canal fish excluded.
Instagram @Patsquatch413

lowaccord66

« Reply #3 on: Aug 01, 2019, 01:59 PM »
They are being caught.  I've seen some extreme bashing on FB if you mention spots or where you are catching thus my previous comment. Perhaps people are being quiet for that reason.  If I had more time Pat I'd go with you and we'd find them.  You are on the right track with eels.

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #4 on: Aug 01, 2019, 02:20 PM »
I second what Jon said. People have no idea how detrimental a FB post is especially if they are not avid anglers. Thus why I only fish with a handful of people.
Wicked Wec

lowaccord66

« Reply #5 on: Aug 01, 2019, 02:27 PM »
I wonder how Mike Laptew feels after doing a FB live post from the canal during a blitz.  After the posts this week the place will be mobbed tomorrow and Saturday. 

westernmas

« Reply #6 on: Aug 01, 2019, 02:49 PM »
Glad I don't have FB.  Out of sight out of mind.  I need more spots to try.  I usually rotate between about 3 spots and they haven't been productive recently.  But personally I like figuring things out on my own.  I was glad I tried a new spot on Tuesday and I was able to land fish.
Instagram @Patsquatch413

lowaccord66

« Reply #7 on: Aug 01, 2019, 03:02 PM »
Same here Pat.  I get enough screen shots forwarded to me from there!

ICEHOLE

« Reply #8 on: Aug 01, 2019, 08:27 PM »
The 3 of us should line up a night mission before the seasons up. From land..lol no plastic boats in the ocean for me....yet. (I have a 1996 WS Ride 135) scupper system not up to todays standards.  Not the new seats, and no pedal drive.
Someday I'll have to get somthing not so classic and more sea worthy
Trout, LMB, SMB, BullHeads, Lakers, Pike, Carp

lowaccord66

« Reply #9 on: Aug 01, 2019, 08:48 PM »
Matt the season is a bit longer than social media's reach.  Come late September we can get down. 

(Bring pancakes)

SalmonAndStriper Stalker

• landlocked salmon,stripers,lake trout,trout,bass
« Reply #10 on: Aug 02, 2019, 07:05 AM »
Time to join the circus tomorrow. Luckily where I like to fish its usually not too crowded and you at least get 10yds of breathing room

Roccus

« Reply #11 on: Aug 02, 2019, 08:55 AM »
the fish are not as plentiful as they  once were, that is a fact, but fishing is still pretty darn good in spots..its been pretty steady all season, starting in Mid may.

last night topped off one of  the best nights in the last  10 years..   alone, landing one triple header, and two doubles, all fish were between 20 and 40+ lbs ( estimate, all fish were released boat side with out removing them from the water).. I quit a little after mid night and left them biting... there are isolated pods, if you can find them, I pounded a stretch of water Monday night that always gives me a few big fish.. well almost always, I got skunked, never even got a hit, and by pounded I mean the top 3 hours of the incoming and first 2 of the drop.. last night I tried a location 6 miles away, it started at sunset and continued until I left them feeding, these days you have to just work a little harder, 50 years of striper fishing is a big asset to me..nights like last night were common place for me 10 years ago, now most nights I have to work really hard to get 1 or 2 quality fish( schoolies are a dime a dozen), people need to change how they view striped bass conservation if those nights are going to be/continue to be common place for anyone  again.

Roccus

« Reply #12 on: Aug 02, 2019, 08:58 AM »
and for the record, these are beach fish, right in the suds... god bless the piping plover.

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #13 on: Aug 02, 2019, 09:51 AM »
Nice work Joe and I completely agree with you on the conservation.
Wicked Wec

westernmas

« Reply #14 on: Aug 02, 2019, 11:19 AM »
Good to hear Joe.  I guess I'll need to do some more exploring.  Isn't the easiest when most spots are a 2+ hour drive.
Instagram @Patsquatch413

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.